PG Music Home
Posted By: Island Soul Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 05/15/15 01:52 PM
I would like to see someone make a Weather Repot style with synths, soprano sax, E piano, drum set, percussion and fretless bass.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 08/03/15 07:27 AM
Definitely support for this!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 02/27/16 08:29 PM
Me Too!!! With a solo for each instrument, and notation too.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 02/27/16 10:04 PM
I've been spending some time in the User Track area and I think I may be missing something.

What are you guys really asking about? This is the User Track wishlist, not the PG Real Track wish list.

I'm seeing so many different requests for such high level stuff.

Who do you guys think is reading this forum?

Who here is a killer player with access to real classic instruments in a good studio? Iow, how are Weather Report UT's supposed to be made by a user at home? Somebody here has a 10K drum set in their garage and a neighbor who is a great fusion drummer? If you want Billy Cobham drums you need to buy the Billy Cobham Expansion Pack for Sampletank 3. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaN5Vidjcuc

Now I suppose someone here might have that Cobham Expansion Pack and record some of those phrases from it and post it here as a UT. It's that acceptable or would that cause a problem with IKM's copywrite or something?

To me user tracks are supposed to be made by a user who is competent on a real instrument, not a midi controller (unless someone needs a specific synth part) and that person records himself with a mic into a DAW. That's a studio recording and can be called a user created Real Track.

Do you guys know what I'm saying? If you're requesting something that a user here can only come up with using midi files and VST's well, there are gazillions of jazz fusion midi phrases out there now. Just find them and you're good. Same with all the requests for TOP horns and such.

To me most of these suggestions in the UT forum should be in the PG Wishlist RT forum. They're the ones who pay for world class players to record this stuff in a million dollar studio.

Someone here also asked for Sinatra style horns. How is a user supposed to come up with that? Maybe record some phrases out of Kontakt's Session Horns library? Otherwise you're perhaps thinking there are users here who can call up a group if killer horn guys, set them up in their living room and record a bunch of Sinatra style big band phrases?

Bob
Posted By: alan S. Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 02/27/16 11:19 PM
I'm in agreement with Bob. Unless there are some top notch users out there prepared to make high quality tracks for free then you'd be best paying for them because at this end of the music spectrum you're looking for some high level musicianship.

Alan
Posted By: Jon Thomas Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 05/01/16 05:29 AM
I don't really agree.
Let me say first that I love BIAB, I love PG Music, and I love the potential of UTs.
But ... there's a "but".
I think there might be some users who would be willing to make very good quality UTs.
I know because I am one of them.
I am a decent musician. I've been playing for decades at semi-pro level. I am still involved in some pro and semi-pro level musical projects. I know that with certain instruments (acoustic, classic guitars, ukuleles etc) I could make some very, very good sounding UTs. And I have a nice home studio where I can record with very good equipment in a sound proof room. And, I would be willing to give away my UTs for free (as long as others would share theirs) or maybe sell them for a very low price. Am I the only one? I dont think so. I am guessing that there may be other people like me. Probably more than a few.
So, why don't I do it?
The problem is that currently the UT feature is far from workable. There are many key problems that need to be fixed. The 3/4 problem is just the most obvious, but frankly there are other problems that are even more crucial in order to make high quality UTs. Like, for example, unnecessary transposing, very obvious artifacts in chords transitions etc etc. A user called "Icelander", in another post, provided all the technical details. So, at the moment, I don't think I wanna spend a lot of time recording a high quality UT (because high quality requires a lot of time, careful recording, editing, etc) if then the playback will be not good enough because of the current limitations. I tried. It's not worth it. No matter how well I play and record my part (and, believe me, I can really do it well) the playback of my UT is just not good enough, it doesn't really compare with RTs. Too many weird artifacts. So, why bother?
In the current situation, UTs are certainly very useful, but only for low quality products and purposes (quick demos, rehearsals etc). Not for serious work, unlike RTs, which are fantastic.

That's why I'm really hoping that PG will address all these issues (as they said they would), because that will encourage people with good instrumental technique and good equipment to make good quality UTs, comparable with PG's RTs, share them, or sell them, and energize the community and increase the BIAB fan base. I think it would be good for everybody, including PG.
Posted By: magicaldog Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 05/16/16 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
I would like to see someone make a Weather Repot style with synths, soprano sax, E piano, drum set, percussion and fretless bass.

+1 smile
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 05/29/16 08:33 AM
for starters, the original request was for a STYLE, and user tracks are not styles. Having said that, people who make user tracks could collaborate and make each of the instrumental tracks that would be necessary to create a project in the style of weather report

In fact, such collaborations would be a good use of the user track concept.
Posted By: carneyweb Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 06/03/16 01:03 PM
Isn't this just the old JACO JAZZ style from MIDI style set #4??
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Jazz Fusion Weather Report Style - 09/13/16 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Islansoul

Hi Islansoul,

Thank you for your suggestion! In the meantime you can look for specific styles by navigating our entire RealTracks list, seen here: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.all.php?os=win
© PG Music Forums