PG Music Home
Posted By: pwarren ketron sd2 questions - 11/15/10 04:48 PM
I have an Edirol PCR M80 controller connected to my laptop via USB. My Ketron SD2 is connected to the PCR M80 via midi cable. When I select the correct midi IO ports from BiaB or RB the Ketron plays correctly into my mixer and then to my laptop soundcard input.

Everything works fine except I cannot figure out how to play the keyboard without BiaB (or RB) running. As long as the laptop in on, which it has to be obviously, all midi data originating from the M80 goes to the USB midi port and only returns to the controller thru port when an application is open.

So, can anyone recommend a freeware app that will let me play the controller without BiaB running? Or is there another way?

Secondly, does anyone know how to access the ketron upper banks in RB? Is there some equivalent to a *.pat file? I'd like to access them by name as in BiaB.
Posted By: rharv Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/15/10 08:04 PM
Ketron patch map can be found here, along with the rest of them-
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm
Posted By: pwarren Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/15/10 08:31 PM
I have the patch map for BiaB but does it work for RB? If so where do you put it? Does it go in the c:\RealBand\ folder?
Posted By: jford Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/15/10 08:32 PM
If you go to the link RHarv provided and download the file, you can download the zip file. One of the files in the zip contains the instructions for installing to BIAB as well as RealBand (well, it might be PowerTracks, but the process is the same for PowerTracks and RealBand).
Posted By: allis Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/15/10 10:25 PM
Quote:

...can anyone recommend a freeware app that will let me play the controller without BiaB running?

A good freeware called "MIDI Device Connection Center" is available from Musiclab.com

It has worked well up to Win XP, which is as far as I have got.
Posted By: pwarren Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/15/10 11:14 PM
I see. Thanks. I have the BiaB patch map from somwhere but never got the patches.ini for RB. Should be easy now. Thanks to rharv as well.
Posted By: pwarren Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/15/10 11:17 PM
Thanks Larry. That does look like it might do the job.
Posted By: allis Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/16/10 03:37 AM
Paul,

The MusicLab thing will hook your keyboard to your computer and back to the SD2 again, so you can get synth sound. I find it useful for testing MIDI setups. But the little program won't change sounds for you, and the SD2, I suddenly realize, has no controls to change patches on its own. You could be stuck playing nothing but Patch 1 Piano, with that rig alone.

So you may find yourself better off using RealBand for a "host" and always playing the SD2 through that. It is not an unusual way to work. Though I gather this idea irks you at the moment, it does have advantages -- like absolute control over a MIDI module and all the effects.

Larry
Posted By: Mac Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/16/10 01:02 PM
That PCR M80 just might send the corresponding MIDI patch data when you use its patch selection buttons.

Therefore, when hooked directly to the SD2, via software loop or directly, you may well be able to select at least the GM bank from the keyboard's controls. Well worth trying.

A faster method than using software looper is to simply disconnect the USB connects at the MIDI cable end and use one MIDI cable to go directly from keyboard MIDI out to Ketron MIDI in.

Ralband and Powertracks use a different Patch Map format than Biab. Both files are published on this website in the Patch Map area and both should be downloaded if you want to use your SD2 with both programs. Read up on it, they are two different format files that install differently in each proggie. Both are thoroughly tested and work with each program, though.

In RB you must rename the existing file and then drop the new one into the folder with RB shut down, then start RB up again.

--Mac
Posted By: pwarren Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/16/10 05:04 PM
Thanks Larry. I understand that I'd have to change patches from the controller. A bit inconvenient but it should work. Meanwhile I'll search the net some more. I'm sure there must be a freeware app out there somewhere that will change patches and banks as well.
Posted By: pwarren Re: ketron sd2 questions - 11/16/10 05:07 PM
Thanks Mac. Re-cabling is another option but I'd prefer not to do that if I can find another way.

As for the patches.ini file, I read the instructions and it makes sense. I just don't know how I missed that in the first place. Age maybe? hahaha
Posted By: Kenton Re: ketron sd2 questions - 03/07/12 03:54 AM
I feel like I'm out of my depth with the Ketron SD2. I picked one up and have it connected and working. But, I don't know what I can do with it. I like some of the sounds I get from it, but others bother me. A case in point, I would like a good tuba sound, but what I get from it is a staccato rendition that is most unpleasant. Is there something I should be doing to get a more appropriate tuba sound out of it?
Posted By: Mac Re: ketron sd2 questions - 03/07/12 01:50 PM
Quote:

I feel like I'm out of my depth with the Ketron SD2. I picked one up and have it connected and working. But, I don't know what I can do with it. I like some of the sounds I get from it, but others bother me. A case in point, I would like a good tuba sound, but what I get from it is a staccato rendition that is most unpleasant. Is there something I should be doing to get a more appropriate tuba sound out of it?

Sounds like you might only be using the first 128 patches in the General MIDI bank.

The Upper Banks might have something that better fits for you.

Download the Patchmap for BiaB from the PGMusic Support page and install it into the bb folder and learn how to use it, if you haven't already. The BIAB FAQ page can help you learn how to access the Upper Banks.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums