PG Music Home
Posted By: CalUKGR New User - Needs some advice - 05/24/16 03:25 PM
Hi everyone, I'm totally new to BIAB (only purchased it today). I've looked around for a specific help topic and can't seem to find one, so I'm just posting here, hoping some kind soul will spare me a few moments.

I'm not new using sequencers, soft synths and MIDI hardware, but I am having some trouble getting BIAB set-up to work with my Roland Integra-7. All the MIDI driver/Audio stuff seems to be working fine, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I can get my Integra-7 to play back the songs in BIAB using GM2 or whatever the best setting would be.

Can anyone advise how I go about getting my Integra-7 to act as a General MIDI sound box for BIAB..?

I'm using a Roland A-800Pro MIDI master keyboard, btw.

I have probably a ton of other questions about VSTi's and the like, but they'll have to wait until I know I understand how to get the Integra-7 playing nice with BIAB.

PC: Core i7, 12GB DDR RAM, Nvidia GTX760 2GB, Win10 64-bit (I use Reaper as my main DAW).

Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: New User - Needs some advice - 05/24/16 05:13 PM
First welcome, next

1. In BAIB under menu item: Options -> MIDI/Audio Driver Setup, under the "MIDI Output Driver" make sure you select EITHER:

a. The MIDI port that goes from your PC (connection using a 5 pin MIDI connection) to the Integra 7, OR

b. If want to use, or only have, the USB connection, in lieu of the 5 pin connection, and you have the Roland USB driver installed correctly select the "INTEGRA-7" (NOT the INTEGRA-7 CTRL)

2. In same menu, Options -> MIDI/Audio Driver Setup, on the right hand side about middle UNCHECK the "Use VSTi/DXI synth" box

3. To force I7 into GM (no matter what Studio Set you have loaded) then up at the top, almost middle, of the BIAB screen there is an icon labeled "MIDI" click on it and select "Send General MIDI (GM) Mode on Crtl-Alt-Q" that will send the universal SYSEX command for GM Mode on - putting the I7 into GM mode

No need to load the GM expansions in the I7 Expansion slots

Good Luck
Larry
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: New User - Needs some advice - 05/24/16 05:22 PM
You may need an Integra Patch Map. You can convert Cakewalk Patch Maps with Biab.

Trax
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: New User - Needs some advice - 05/24/16 05:28 PM
The Integra has it's own midi driver so check your docs and install the driver. Actually before you do that go here to make sure you have the latest one:

http://roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=INTEGRA-7

As for GM mode this forum might help:

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=47879

Once you have installed the driver the Integra will show up in Biab's midi setup window and you select it there.

Since you're new to this, when you use a hardware synth the sound does not go through your computer. You connect the Integra using your USB cable but the sound comes from the Integra's audio output jacks to your sound system or headphones. If you want to record that you have to route the audio output from the Integra to your computer using an audio interface. You could try doing it using those crappy little mini jacks on your motherboard but that's not recommended.

Bob
Posted By: CalUKGR Re: New User - Needs some advice - 05/24/16 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice - I got the Integra-7 to start playing the tracks in BIAB! Having fun now replacing some of the voices and playing along with Integra's fantastic Grand Piano. I think it's going to take a good long while for me to start fully getting to grips with all the possibilities...this rabbit hole goes deep!

Thanks again for the help!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: New User - Needs some advice - 05/24/16 11:55 PM
Welcome to the forum! Did you get the .PAT file for the Integra-7 from this site? That will allow you to access the Supernatural sounds from the Integra-7. You'll find one here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm
Posted By: CalUKGR Re: New User - Needs some advice - 05/25/16 06:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Welcome to the forum! Did you get the .PAT file for the Integra-7 from this site? That will allow you to access the Supernatural sounds from the Integra-7. You'll find one here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

Thanks, Matt - very useful!

A few more questions for anyone who can advise:

1. Can I use Spectrasonics Omnisphere with BIAB/ Real Band?

2. Is there any way to get the Roland Integra-7 Editor to load in BIAB?

3. Anyone know the best way to stop the Integra-7 from responding to MIDI exclusive messages coming from BIAB (for instance, to stop it changing voice settings, channels settings, etc). Is there a quick way to do this in BIAB or do I have to fiddle around with the Integra-7's MIDI receive settings every time I load a Set?

Finally, if anyone has any useful tips for using Integra-7 with BIAB please feel free to post them here!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New User - Needs some advice - 05/25/16 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: CalUKGR
I think it's going to take a good long while for me to start fully getting to grips with all the possibilities...this rabbit hole goes deep!

Indeed. There is a vast reservoir of goodies and possibilities in these programs.... both in Band in a Box and in Real Band.

Have fun exploring.
© PG Music Forums