PG Music Home
I have an old Creative X-Fi sound card.

I am just trying to learn how to use real band. Was messing with the "nodes" i.e. bringing volume up and down on a Real Tracks solo track.

Program crashes about every five minutes while I am working. Not kidding.

Don't know what all these settings are. Have monkeyed around with just about all of them and nothing changes. Five minutes, and it's lights out.

What am I doing wrong?
Give us your OS and computer specs. Are using any third party plugins?

What audio driver are you using? All this help folks help you
Rob:

OS is Windows 10
Computer is AMD 8 Core "Phenom" Processor
8 GB Ram
Sound Card is Creative X-Fi, internal card
Drivers are SoundBlaster X-Fi Synth
No third party plug-ins.

Thanks.

Michael
I haven’t seen sound blaster cards in a long time. I wonder if asio4all might serve you better. It’s a free driver that emulates audio drivers. Hopefully someone with more soundblaster experience will come by
I had tha card light years ago. It never worked right with there drivers. I used either " Kx " drivers and then a friend in the Netherlands developed aset of propriatary drivers both ASIO andWDM. These worked great. Remember all you old timers when i used and bragged KX DRIVERS?
You say that it stops after 5 minutes every time? It sounds like something is getting hot and crashing. After it crashes and you immediately start up again does it take another 5 minutes before it crashes? If so then something getting hot is not the reason as it should crash sooner after a reboot, if in fact it does reboot.

You do have the latest Win 10 drivers for the Creative X-Fi right?

What I would do is to disable that sound card and use the included RealTek in its place. This would tell you if the problem is with the Creative card or your PC. If you can run for a long time using RealTek then you have to start looking at the Creative card. Maybe there is a buffer setting that needs increasing, don't know for sure.

But if it crashes after 5 minutes you have to look at the Win 10 settings and/or some hardware problem.

PS - an after thought does the system crash with other programs? If no then it maybe the Creative card or a problem with Realband and the Creative card. Again I don't know for sure.
I had tha card light years ago. It never worked right with there drivers. I used either " Kx " drivers and then a friend in the Netherlands developed aset of propriatary drivers both ASIO andWDM. These worked great. Remember all you old timers when i used and bragged KX DRIVERS?
What version of RB?
Latest update for that version?

Nodes can be a problematic in at least one earlier version.
Also, Make sure you have the latest patch/update for that version.
https://www.pgmusic.com/support.htm

As a test, try recording mixer moves on that track instead.
Same end result, different methods. May reveal clues.

When you make a Node change, look in the Event List for that track (the 'E' icon) and see what all gets added.

It's possible your X-Fi isn't liking whichever Control Change your Node edits are making (the CC # can vary and be a settable option depending on your version).

Lastly, as a long shot, look at your Prefs to see if your MIDI Out is enabled as desired for the Controller options.
I reckon it's possible to send that card a CC change that may confuse it and cause issues.
Experiment with changing them, see if anything changes.

We may need some troubleshooting help like the above on this ..

Like Silvertones mentioned, all drivers are not the same. So some may handle this pref/detail better than others, and I do remember the KX drivers he mentions. I'm pretty sure I used them (at his suggestion) at some point on a card at another location... obviously long ago.

Even more remote possibility, at one point in RB development if there was a Node change on a blank track it could cause an access violation which may appear like a crash.
I think this was around 2016 ..
2020 version.

I actually don't know how to record mixer moves yet. Yes I have done a lot of node things and boy does that cause crashing.

I actually don't know what a CC is or how to set it or whatever.

As far as Midi out is concerned there were only four choices and I tried each of them with no luck.

Sorry I don't have more details but all these menus are Greek to me.

Thanks again.

Michael
There is a Greek to english pdf manual in the bb and rb folders. Read cover to cover,listen to thetutorials you may walk out a suave Greek gentleman. Lol
Quote:
Yes I have done a lot of node things and boy does that cause crashing.

Is there a crash report generated, and if so could you paste it into a reply?
Most likely there is one specific thing you are doing that causes the crash and we need to figure out what that is. Next time it happens take note of what you were doing, and then re-open the program and try the exact same thing to see if it crashes. This will help narrow down what the bug is.
Also, it would be helpful if you could try this on a file that everyone has like the file Listen.SEQ file from the RealBand\Samples folder, so that we are comparing apples to apples.
Another way to prove/show when it happens is to download the free version of BBFlashBack screen recorder and record the whole session until it crashes. Export that to AVI/Mpeg and get that to Andrew

https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/
i have an elderly soundblaster and the asio drivers were a bit flaky. have you tried using the WAS driver in RB? I found it worked fine for both recording and playback but now i use a usb interface with its own drivers
Hi:

I rolled the driver back to one used five years ago and it seems to work. Probably will end up with different problems as a result. We'll see.

Thanks.

Michael
FWIW sometimes different problems are better,
sometimes not, don't know until you try

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take and all that smile
© PG Music Forums