PG Music Home
Posted By: dkm New Mac Pro won't detect BIAB hard drive - 04/21/18 11:20 PM
I recently upgraded to a Mac Pro running High Sierra OS. It doesn't seem to want to detect my 2016 BIAB for Mac everything PAK hard drive. I have always run the application from the hard drive--and stored all my files there. Anyone else faced this situation and found a solution? I have tried switching to different USB inlets, unplugging and replugging in the drive, and rebooting the computer. None of that is working to re-establish the connection.
Can you install BIAB onto your system? You should be able to do that from the download if the installer will work over 10.13.

Unless you have the Audiophile version, everything is sitting in your user account and can be downloaded. I'm downloading the BIAB Full installer to see if it will run.

I already know that BIAB 2017 runs over High Sierra but don't know that 2016 will. That's a question for someone else.
Your new Mac Pro is formatted APFS. It can see non-APFS drives but non-APFS drives cannot see your Mac Pro. So no surprises that you can't run BIAB entirely from an external mechanical hard drive (HHDs can run High Sierra but cannot be formatted APFS).

The 2017 installer does work over High Sierra so the 2016 should also. You'll find it on the web site
PG Music > Home> My Account> My Products

You'll need to install Band-in-a-Box 2016 Full (Mac) and MIDI & Audio Plugins (Mac). The rest can stay on the drive which you will need to link to BIAB (pretty easy) or you can install everything onto the Mac Pro. There was a patch for 2017 to fix minor High Sierra issues but I don't know about BIAB 2016.

The only thing that can't be downloaded is Audiophile RealTracks if you have that version. Those can be read from the hard drive or loaded onto your internal (if you have the space) or an external SSD for reduced latency. SSDs and USB 3 docks are relatively inexpensive these days.

I have the minimum installed on my System drive and everything else is loaded onto an external SSD.
Hi DKM,

Reseating the hard drive often helps. We have a tutorial here that shows how, and includes some other troubleshooting tips:

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_hd-troubleshoot.htm

Your drive likely looks quite a bit different (I'll have to update this tutorial), and would be opened by removing a couple screws then sliding the case open. Feel free to give our tech support line a call tomorrow if you need assistance.

If you've ever received another drive from us in the past and reseating this one didn't help, you could try moving the 2017 hard drive into one of your older enclosures. If the drive is OK but the enclosure has stopped working, this should get it to show up.

If you do get the drive to show up, I'd highly recommend copying your songs to the Mac HD right away (the Documents folder is a good place to save your work). External hard drives fail a lot more frequently than internal ones (since they get moved around and disconnected), so aren't the safest place to keep your project files.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
It just occurred to me. Which version of the Mac Pro?

If 6.1, you can get a Thunderbolt or USB 3 dock to mount your hard drive. If 5.1, adapters are available for mounting it directly into an unused bay.
© PG Music Forums