PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley Does Mac version have this feature? - 04/18/21 11:11 AM
I’m trying to answer a question on Facebook. Does the Mac version of BIAB have this feature that I use on the Windows version: MIDI Chord Detection?

If you are not familiar, the feature allows you to play a chord on your MIDI keyboard and BIAB tells you up to four alternatives for the chord name, and then you can enter it into the chord sheet by one click.

ps On the Windows version it’s in the Windows menu.
Hi Matt - there is something, but I'm not sure if this is what you're aiming at?
https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbm2020full/chapter12.htm#midi-file-chord-interpretation-wizard
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Does Mac version have this feature? - 04/19/21 02:29 AM
Thanks for your reply. No, that's not it. I have to assume the Mac version does not have MIDI Chord Detection function as I described.
what a pity, that would be so useful, maybe on a futur update ?
Originally Posted By: philty
what a pity, that would be so useful, maybe on a futur update ?

I see you use Logic Pro X - at least you have MIDI Chord Detection in your DAW
There is the keyboard shortcut "cmd + enter", or this is also under Options | MIDI Patch Maps | Insert current MIDI chord. This shortcut can be used to insert a chord that's played on your MIDI keyboard. There is more info on this feature in Chapter 4, under Chord Entry, page 57 of the manual for Band-in-a-Box Mac 2020. https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbm2020full/chapter4.htm

However, there is not a window/dialog that pops up for chord detection in the Mac version like there is in the Windows version.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Does Mac version have this feature? - 04/20/21 03:04 PM
Interesting!

Chantelle, I will pass along your helpful information. The otherwise relative silence here to my question tells me Mac users may not be familiar with the feature even if it is actually available. I think MIDI Chord Detection is one the best features in BIAB, but that's because I transcribe music.

I highly recommend you pass along to the developers to add this to a menu, especially if the feature is already there.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Does Mac version have this feature? - 06/03/21 10:49 AM
I also received this answer from PG Music:

The Mac version does have MIDI Chord Detection, but it is still lacking the window that suggests 4 different chord variations.

Options > MIDI Patch Maps, etc. > Insert current MIDI chord

The hotkey is command+return
© PG Music Forums