PG Music Home
Posted By: saxmaam Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/18/11 11:02 AM
I posted a little while back about getting a new soundcard since I didn't like the MIDI voices on mine. A chorus of replies suggested that soundcard sounds may not be the right solution any more.

What do you guys suggest? I guess I'm looking for that sweet spot trading off price and performance. I used to be happy with Roland VSC, and it came free with BIAB, but I gather that's no longer a solution? Or not a good solution? (Why not?)

I'll shut up and listen now!

Saxmaam
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/18/11 11:26 AM
Saxmaam,

Roland VSC/DXi will still work provided your computer has a 32-bit operating system installed. If you are running 64-bit operating system, it will not function, though.

The latest BIAB installations come with Coyote Wavetable which is a very basic software synth. From reading these forums, some people don't mind the Coyote Wavetable while others prefer to get the Cakewalk TTS1 (which I seem to recall comes with Cakewalk Music Creator) or Coyote Forte soft synth. Both of these are sold by PG Music for around $40.

It will be interesting to read what others say.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Zan Cantwell Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/18/11 11:27 AM
I route everything through my Yamaha keyboard. Even the most inexpensive Yamaha, Roland or Casio keyboard is going to have a better sounding bank than any soundcard midi. Most of the newer keys have a USB out so there is no complicated cable set up, just plug and play
Posted By: avatars_the_titletrack Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/18/11 01:06 PM
like others said, Yamaha keyboards have very good MIDI sounds, and the top of the range ones sound great, I have a Tyros 2. Obviously, the cost of either defeats the purpose....the only one good choice I can think of, is a Ketron SD2 module, which is still expensive. PG Music should outsource a great sounding midi module, that Roland VSC makes me go yuck, and the Forte modules are just a bit better.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/18/11 02:28 PM
Back in the day soundcards had built in Midi. No more.

You need a midi module or stick with 32 bit.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/18/11 02:53 PM
Quote:

Coyote Forte soft synth. ....for around $40.

While I also have moved to a large percentage of RT's, this GM soft synth for BIAB always sounded good to me
Posted By: Rachael Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/18/11 03:10 PM
You may want to explore soundfonts - especially now that BIAB can handle multiple synths. A good place to start is HERE. There are plenty of discussions on the forum about soundfonts.

And be sure to check out Coyote Forte.

R
Posted By: filkertom Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/18/11 03:19 PM
Agreement with Dan and Rachael. Coyote Forte does the job, especially if you add some effects onto it, and especially especially if you are also using RealTracks.

You also might want to check some of the free synths and samplers online that handle General MIDI, e.g., Sampletank and Proteus VX.
Posted By: saxmaam Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/19/11 11:43 AM
So the choices are ...

coyote Forte/cakewalk tts1 at ~ $40
Ketron SD2 at $400
soundfonts/synths/samplers from online (cost = time + possibly free)

Since I don't want to become a synthesized sound hobbiest, I guess I'll start with the Coyote Forte demo and see how that works for me.

thanks for the help,

Saxmaam
Posted By: jford Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/19/11 01:35 PM
And to avoid confusion, the Coyote WT (that gets installed with BIAB/RB) is not the same thing as the Coyote Forte (which you need to install separately). As I remember correctly, it will work with all features for 30 days before you have to register it ($40), so you can evaluate it for free.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/19/11 02:35 PM
Personally, I prefer external solutions. The Ketron SD2 has a great reputation but I've not heard it.

I have a number of synthesizer modules and keyboards that I've collected through the years including, Yamaha TX81z, Roland MT-32, Roland SC-55, Korg DDD5, Korg DS8, Korg i3, Edirol SD90, Yamaha VL70m and a couple of hardware samplers.

The nice thing about hardware synth modules, is that as long as you can put MIDI out of yoru computer, the modules will never become orphaned by a new operating system, you can mix and match sounds from them taking the best from each (zero latency for all practical purposes), they don't tax your computer's CPU, and never seem to break down or crash.

The TX81z, DS8, and MT32 that I purchased back in the 80s have some very dated sounds in them, but they still have some excellent voices that I haven't found a replacement for.

All in all if I had to use only one in my personal array, I'd choose the SD-90 as it is the most versatile and has the most polyphony.

Notes
Posted By: Bob_B Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds -- SD2 mp3 sample - 12/19/11 03:08 PM
Here's a sample of Ketron SD2:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1111184&songID=11280065

I made this as a backing track for my band to play in celebration of Frank Zappa's birthdate, which is Wednesday, December 21st. It wasn't made to highlight the SD2.

Bob
I personally lean towards hardware synths and have never been a real fan of most of the soft synths. I also wonder if some of the issues people have is not with the sound but with the GM standard. GM is a good idea but the GM patches always seem to be inferior. Want a good synth for cheap? Go on the net and buy an older rack mount synth used. I still use my trusty Roland 1080 which most all studios owned and you can get those for 100 bucks.
Here is a MP3 file (12 bar blues - public domain) made with Norton Styles and about 99% General MIDI patches.

http://www.nortonmusic.com/mp3/Sweet_Home_Chicago_M128.mp3

What's inferior of those GM sounds?

Notes
Posted By: jford Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds -- SD2 mp3 sample - 12/19/11 08:41 PM
Add your sax to that, Notes, and I bet it's screamin'!
I hate to say it Bob and Bob, but those two files are really ringing endorsements for realtracks and the need for realStrings and realHorns.

They sound fine and all -- but they don't sound that real. Now I know there are high quality samples out there that do sound real -- but they are out of most of our price ranges.

Kevin
A midi primer here:

www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/MIDI/chapter3_DP5.shtml

I personally don't want to spend my days messing with the velocities of an english horn, to make it baroque. Either way.

THE ONLY test of the thing is the END result.

How you get there does not matter. You can spend 20 hours on 20 notes, or 20 hours playing 200 tunes. Whatever turns YOUR crank.

Take your backing tracks, done either way, and ask someone who's never played an instrument to critique it.

To my mind the biggest thing is to get realistic enough guitars. Almost every person over the age of 20 has had or has a close friend with one. On a given occasion, they can take it out, tune it a bit, and play 4 bars of Stairway...

They then are sort of experts and talk for days about pickups and humdingers and bucking this and amp that and delay with 800 feet of cable, and golly they could just improvise in the American National thing in front of 50,000 screaming fans, and become famous, oh yeah!

So the problem is your guitar has to sound very good. I'd suggest putting in the riff to Stairway in almost every piece, buried. LOL, there's a plugin to make!
[Bob]: Here is a MP3 file (12 bar blues - public domain) made with Norton Styles and about 99% General MIDI patches.

========================================================
Nice MIDI arrangement Bob, thanks for posting it.

I don't see MIDI vs RealTracks as an "either-or" issue. They are different tools, and each have their uses, including combining them at times.

For example, there's an excellent MIDI blues demo that was posted above. That would be ideal to use in a club for a dance.

The RealTracks version of that sounds different, and would likely be used in different situations, maybe for when you're jamming (practising), or wanting more of a live-player sound.

Here's a RealTracks version of that, with the RealTracks "Blues Brothers" Sol Philcox and Brent Mason, joined by John Jarvis on Piano

Audio: http://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/jazzu/misc/BluesEPianoGuitar.WMA

Actually it's just a demo of our RealTracks Set 140: Texas Blues Shuffle - playing over blues changes, but if you compare it with Bob's excellent MIDI sequence, it gives you a good comparison of the differences between MIDI and RealTracks, over a Blues progression.

(everything you hear, including the guitar and piano solos, were generated by BIAB, by pressing play. The 3 soloists (John, Brent and Sol) are trading off choruses, which is a feature added in 2011. Song took about 60 seconds to make). Of course, as with any RealTracks, you can type in any chords, any key and you'll get a full arrangement with soloing like this.

I wanted to run a blindfold test but I can't get Notes version to download, it says server execution error.

As for the PG version, I find it too busy for me. Now, that said my tastes have changed. I hung out in blues clubs for years, every weekend. Smokey, beer sticky on the floor, low ceiling, and every standard blues thing in the repetoire.

Alas with the hearing loss I'm no judge of anything, except I lean to minimalism, so a simple bass and drums behind my piano and I'm happy.

If the style is midi then I get that.

But I'm 90 percent realtracks, and even changed most of the folk song repetoire to those.

Some guitar player should weigh in here.
One thing you can do to improve a midi song is to add real stuff to it (or real tracks). I bet if you swapped out the drums and piano for realtracks in Bob N's blues demo, everything would sound more realistic.

... but it does sound better the more I listen to it.
Nice demo Peter.

The solos have come a long way since you introduced the RTs. I'm a live player and prefer to play the solos myself though (If I didn't have to respect the other players in the band, I'd be a solo hog and do them all.)

And yes, I see room for RTs and MIDI, depending on what you are doing with them.

For my personal applications, MIDI is better, because I can edit them. Listening to the rhythm section of your excellent demo, there are things I would change for my own personal tastes. And I mean my own personal tastes, which of course are mine and mine alone (for better or worse). But then, I bought BiaB and my MIDI sequencers to play with, not for plug and play. Again, that's just me.

Also, I play in a duo for a living. There are other duos in our area who use karaoke tracks they purchase on the 'net. Nothing wrong with that either. However, IMHO having real instruments in the backing track sounds like karaoke. Something about the timbre, the mix, and the blending of the instruments sound like a recording instead of a live performance. Judging from the comments our audience members, many audience members know the difference too, because they tell me comments like, "Band X is only doing karaoke". The word only is the killer to my ears.

On the other hand, if I were doing song-writing demos to send to record companies, I'd probably use mostly Real Tracks, because I know the A&R people are definitely prejudiced against MIDI demos.

Different tools taken out of the tool box for different applications.

I'm definitely not dissing the RTs, they have their use, and I'm happy that we have both tools at our disposal. I just get a little irritated when someone thinks MIDI sounds bad. As most of us know, MIDI has no sound, synthesizers have sounds. The difference between the sound card on your computer and a Kurzweil is like the difference between a kazoo and a trumpet.

The MIDI sounds on the demo I posted sound 'almost live' to me. The have more separation than the RT background so they don't have that 'karaoke' blend for live performances (which I feel makes them more appropriate for an on-stage performance), and I was able to edit the BiaB output:
  • I entered the top sax note and let BiaB's excellent harmonizer do the 'mule work' of harmonizing the part -- then I exported the MIDI to a sequencer for further editing
  • Edited the bass line at the end of each progression, because it plays notes on both an upbeat and the following beat, something native BiaB cannot do without an expanded style
  • Manually entered (played) the walking bass line for the places where I wanted to play a guitar solo. This changes the feel over teh solo part and IMHO adds both interest to the song and drive to the solo section.
  • Added a touch of humanizing (randomization) to the harmonized sax parts because BiaB puts the harmony notes on exactly the same beat. I don't think the audienc would know the difference if I didn't, but I know the difference and I play this tune every couple of weeks on the gig.

This is minimal editing, but it couldn't be done with RTs. Other backing tracks I make have extensive editing: song specific licks, changing the instrument patches, adding a crescendo, diminuendo, accelerando, ritardando, and/or fermata, getting all the instruments to play a kick instead of a shot or hold, and so on. But as I said before, I bought BiaB and my MIDI sequencers to play with the music.

Back in the 80s when I first started sequencing, my MIDI sequences were pretty crude. Since then it's been an adventure and a learning experience. As I learn new ways to manipulate the MIDI data and hear something new or exciting, I get great satisfaction and a feeling of "Hey! I did that!" pride. To me that's what making music is all about. Of course, not everybody plays with the music the same way.

Playing with the MIDI data and getting different instruments to express themselves like the analog equivalent has opened my ears to how each instrument expresses itself. The subtle nuances that make sax express itself different from a trumpet or guitar. This in turn has increased my enjoyment of listening to music. I can listen to an old LP or CD that I've heard a million times and hear something new.

So while there is nothing wrong with the RealTracks, there is also nothing wrong with MIDI tracks either. MIDI doesn't sound good or bad, but different MIDI synthesizers sound good or bad. And many synths have both good and bad voices built in.

The synthesized pianos, organs, drums, and other instruments that superstars use on their records and in their live shows are virtually all MIDI based instruments. These people have roadies and can use anything they want. If the Hammond XK-3c synth didn't sound as good as a B3, they wouldn't use it.

The different tools in your toolbox are for different applications. You can use the big crescent wrench to hammer a nail, but a real hammer will work better.

For the newbies, repeat after me, neither MIDI nor GeneralMIDI sounds bad. The sounds are in the synthesizers.

Insights and incites by Notes
Approaching this logically as a NEW USER, I check out the demos and videos.
I don't understand midi.

For a while the VSC Dxi was not too bad. It worked and what came in the box worked with it.

Now as a new user I want to buy stuff but then I need an external module now because 64 bit over the counter soft synths are not available for a reasonable price.

Then I need good headphones but wait I got them and guys say you can't mix with them so I get a wee mixer and near field montiors and a sound card/input device and NOW:

Total Cost ...2 grand. Or more. But you get the photo.

If the system is sold as a Realtracks solution the customer does not have to become a midiot to make things work.

It would be great if everyone had to take a mid level hardware course.
Learn Midi in 100 simple lessons.
Learn BIAB by reading and understanding the whole manual.
AND make backing tracks for the Greatful Dead and Alice Cooper world tour Kiss Reunion using nothing but a netbook and Logitec speakers in grandma's spare room on a Sunday Morning.

Somehow the above has not quite happened, however I understand the Monkeys are still typing out the bible in Kurdish.
))) This is minimal editing, but it couldn't be done with RT

All kinds of editing is possible for RealTracks, including inserting song specific licks to replace the original ones.

There is a video tip here showing you how here.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=316518&an=0&page=0#Post316518

If you read the thread, you will see other users responding with good success in editing projects to add song specific licks etc., using different techniques.

Or listen to the over 500 user compositions in the User Showcase, most of the compositions use RealTracks, and many use RealTracks that have been edited.
Wow , PG's Real Tracks wins hands down for sound ! Thanks for the comparison Peter !
I can see both sides of this issue. I use both midi and RTs in my cover songs. For original work i use mostly RTs, and live played tracks.

Back to covers which is what bob is talking about. I use a combo because i want the best of both worlds. Here is my method:

1. I start with a midi Kar song from the net, and pop it in RB.

2. I assign Rolands TTS synth top all the tracks, and play it through all the way checking for track sounds, and chord changes, lyric and chord symbols accuracy.

3. Open up Sampletank, and jamstix in the synth rack, and begin to audition the tracks one at a time for better sounds. I look for more reaslistic synth sounds for all the instruments. Piano, Guitars, Bass and drums. I usually allow TTS to handle things like strings, and such that are mixed in the back ground, unless it does not sound right.

4. I try Sampletank, Cakewalk studio instruments, TTS, and Jamstix for drum sounds, if I want to stay with the original drum track that is similar to the original song.

5. I audition RTs and Rds for replacements where i am unsatisfied with the midi results. Sometimes i want a specific sound or just to somewhat kill the midiness of the track. No matter what you do, some instruments never sound right as midi.

6. I mix the panning, volume, and such to taste and save.

I understand Bob's idea, especially since he is playing live over it, mostly as a duo. As a Solo player it is just me. as a Duo, you want the backing tracks as simple and clean as possible, you are the show. You solo, or your partner does. As a solo player, I might solo on occasion, but not every song, as it all starts to sound the same after a while.

Also there is the decision, do I want this to sound as close to "the original" as possible, or do i want to do a "version" of the song. To do knock off covers you need to stay very original, and that is midi turf. To do version, you want a fresh take on the song, and RTs really lend a hand here.

Recently i have been playing around with some old western swing type songs, and older traditional country tunes from the 40s 50s and 60s. I love that old sound, but love even more to modrenize them a tad, and that is where RTs really shine. A midi file with solid samples, and a couple well placed RTs can just come alive.
When I used Biab 2004 version ,I never needed an update to make more midi . Just hours on end editing ,now that there's RT's I could care less about midi editing and trying to make it sound real. To me it's like the difference between the wheel and a car , wheel good > car better it's just progress . Do I still use midi ? Only if there is no RT even remotely the same ,even then I would rather cut and paste a RT than to settle for midi sounds.
Basically in the world I live in, if I showed up at a writer's night with a BIAB or karaoke backing track I would probably be laughed or boo'd off the stage. It is "live" or nothing -- mostly just a guitar (or maybe another guitar/bass) and vocals. So my use of BIAB is 100% for recording original songs.

To be 100% truthful, if I was good at midi and musical notation and composing (and had good sound modules), I would probably use midi a lot more. You know I do have a PC88Mx which has lots of good sounds. Maybe I should try using that more often.

I have nothing against those that do the backing track gigs, it is just not for me.
I hear you kevin, but most gigs are not writers nights. They are folks eating dinner having a few drinks and listening to some old tunes they like. So backing tracks can give that feel. I have sat and listened to many different venues, and some folks can sit and entertain all night long with just a guitar and a mike, but after a while that gets somewhat old. Not to mention limiting since there are many genre's of music you can't do justice to that way. I have done several open mike nights, and i have to say half the folks there could use a good backing track.

There is room for all kinds of music.

Having listened to both Notes' midi file and the PG RT demo, i gotta say the demo fro RTs rocks big time, the other sound rather mechanical, and cheap. Now i know what Bob will say, it is my cheap mechanical synth in my desk top. he is right on, and first rate sound module would make that come alive to a degree, but it would still at best sound mechanical, and un real. If you use top flight synths, and a couple really good players over it, you can give a spirited song, but having Brent Mason, and John Varvis jam with me is totally hot!

having said that you can over do that as well. moderation is required in any thing. I have RT solo for me, and i solo for myself at times. I reworked the old coutry standard "From a Jack to a King" the other night and had John nad Brent sit in for the session. Wow what a dynamic tune.
Quote:

Robh: I hear you kevin, but most gigs are not writers nights. They are folks eating dinner having a few drinks and listening to some old tunes they like. So backing tracks can give that feel. ...

I agree and it is hard to talk about backing track gigs without hurting folks' feelings. But bottom line -- if I could sing really well and I was a performer and there was a place that would pay me to perform standards, I would gladly go the backing track route. Better pay and I am sure that kind of performance is still rewarding to the player(s). I am not an anti-backing tracks kind of guy, I just know that with the kind of music I play and the venues involved, it won't work.
LOL, i getcha Kevin, but one other issue i always think about. If one does not sing very well, and they go out and sing badly with nothing to cover them but a guitar, that is kinda scary.

At least with backing tracks you can layer vocals, and stuff and hide a bit of the mistakes.
One other point. When I hear a track that is 100% RT's with just vocals on top, I am also left a little flat. I think you have to mix in some "really Real" stuff to give it that human flavor. ... On a side note, with the 2011 version I never found a brent mason solo that I was interested in adding to any of my songs. Now that I have the 11.5 and the 12 RT's maybe I will give him another shot. Of course, I do play guitar so I generally don't lean towards adding RT guitar solos.

Kevin
Posted By: solidrock Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/21/11 03:50 AM
Hi, does anyone use Kontakt at all?

Bob..
Quote:

))) This is minimal editing, but it couldn't be done with RT

All kinds of editing is possible for RealTracks, including inserting song specific licks to replace the original ones.

There is a video tip here showing you how here.

<...>

And it says "RealTracks are audio, so that they aren't editable on a note-by-note basis. But you can use MIDI for this, by deleting the RealTracks section, and replacing it with the exact pattern or riff that you want (entered by you as MIDI notes on a MIDI Track)"

And that's my point. Different tools for different jobs. If I take a recorded guitar part from RTs and decide I want to change a few notes, I could use MIDI, but the tone wouldn't be the same. To match the tone I'd need an identical guitar, FX pedals, amp, mic, and recording studio equipment.

Peter, I'm not dissing the RTs. I think what you have done with them is simply amazing. I am disagreeing with the title of this thread "Unhappy with MIDI sounds" though.

RT's have pros and cons and so does MIDI. To me the great thing about MIDI is the ability to edit the MIDI parts to get them more to my liking and to my own personal artistic expression (which of course is subjective).

Saying that RTs sound good and MIDI sounds bad is like me saying Stan Getz has good tone and John Coltrane has bad tone. There are millions of sax players that would agree, and millions of others who would prefer 'Trane's tone. So I avoid the argument by saying I prefer Getz's tone over 'Trane's tone and everybody is happy.

I play live with backing tracks that I create myself. I'd rather play in a big band, but economics don't allow that anymore, the music market has changed since I started gigging. I make my own backing tracks, some times with the help of BiaB and some times from scratch. I could buy karaoke tracks, it would be easier but (a) it wouldn't be me and (2) it would sound like karaoke tracks.

One of the things I like about MIDI is that for a live performance, it sounds less like karaoke. There seems to be more separation or less blending of the instruments. Plus with the ability to edit any note of any track I can refine the MIDI output to sound just like I want it to sound. I can take a very good BiaB idea and put my own personal stamp on it.

Now I agree that not everybody uses BiaB in the same manner, and I doubt that many use all the features of BiaB. I know I don't. But I love the features that I use and wouldn't want to give them up for anything. The other features are for other musicians with different ways of working with music, different requirements, and different personal taste. And that's a good thing.

While I have no use for the Real Tracks, I think they are fantastic and it's a good thing they are in the program. I don't make notation charts with BiaB either, I have an old copy of Encore that gives me a more customizable output, but then, for those who only need the notation options BiaB offers, it's a great feature. I don't use the melodist or soloist, as I like to do those myself. These are all features that are for other musicians and I would not be correct in saying they are inferior or worthless.

So when someone says the excellent features in BiaB that I love are inferior or worthless, I feel it's time for a debate (not an argument).

I love MIDI and I love the MIDI features of BiaB. I do not think they are inferior to RTs, just different, and for the way I work with music, they are the better choice - but that is me and the way I work with music YMMV. In other words for me the MIDI functions are superior to the Real Tracks for others it will be different.

So I hope you continue to develop the core MIDI functions as you have done for decades as well as the other features of the program. Even those features that I don't use.
Posted By: earl kirby Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/21/11 04:15 PM
Quote:

Bob..

I have it but haven't used it with BIAA yet. I tried a couple of other soft synths like the Korg M1 and it through everything for a loop because it's using more than one channel and you need to know what its using and how to set it up and it was just way to much for right now. Have used the Soft dx7 with no problem so I know it works but I'm not sure about Kontack. Oh have been using Alcemy from Computer Music to load non Knontact samples and that has worked fine.

Just loaded Kontack. No luck so far. It loads but I get no sound. Tried loading on guitar track and thru track and nothing on either track. I'm sure it has to do with somehow setting the channels which I don't know how to do. I'm sure someone here will figure it out in the next few days and if not we'll have to call support and be embarrassed with how easy it is to fix.
It's the BRASS that sounds awful to my ears played through the on - board sound card. I use ASIO drivers, not sure what I should have set up on BIAB 2012, but I have selected Coyote Forte, what is the idiot proof way to get the brass sounding realistic please?
Brass is in big demand but no pay.

I'm up to 3 bands and 2 more asking and 1 doing anything they can to recruit me.

There are 3 on Wed. night so only 1 flies.

I hear choirs have Tues locked up here.

I got my 1 wish. 1 of the bands is doing repetoire. I get tired of working so hard to play some crazy thing and then it's once and done.

I would though, as a baritone player, like 1 band where there are NO TROMBONES behind me. LOL. Either that or I join them. Their bells are so big they can't see when to stop, and then they goof around. And I'm stuck with the French Horn chicks who have F'n horns so in the wrong key.

I have my hopes pinned on Brass real tracks with stabs and fills, and hope they are going to make my String of Pearls seem like they came from Tiffany's not Woolworths.!
Posted By: filkertom Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/21/11 08:25 PM
Quote:

Bob..

I use Kontakt Player sometimes, but honestly I find it's a pain in the patootie. Much easier and more straightforward to deal with Sampletank, Rhino, Tyrell6, Alchemy... anything, really.
Posted By: JeffH Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/22/11 12:43 AM
With regard to modules, I've been through a few over the years. I've just replaced the Ketron SD2 with a Roland Sonic Cell. The Ketron was a good module and I like the Sonic Cell even better. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued but you can still find them used. I use an EWI with it and use all custom patches for that channel but use the factory patches for BIAB.
I like having the real tracks in addition to midi. As many have mentioned, there's a place for both. But I still use midi quite a bit. The modules have definitely improved since I started using version 6 of BIAB.

Jeff H.
Posted By: jford Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/22/11 02:48 AM
I love my Ketron; but if if the Roland Sonic Cell has been discontinued, is there a new version to replace it?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/22/11 04:16 PM
Not exactly replace, it's the SD-50. Good sounds without the SC's extra stuff like a mic input, amp modelling for your guitar and a few other things. I have an SC and I like the sounds too and I've heard a lot of Ketron demos and it sounds good as well but my new Kurzweil PC3 blows both of them away.

The point of this thread is midi is whatever you use with it. This is not for you John, it's for some in this thread who don't have a clue what midi is.

Biab, Real Band, Sonar and all the other music programs have no midi sounds of their own. Repeat, NO MIDI SOUNDS OF THEIR OWN. Good midi sounds is simply a matter of money, that's it. Don't think that great studio quality sounds are going to come from a .99c chip that's put onto your motherboard in China. $40 up to $400 for the Ketron or used Sonic Cell or other module on up to the sky's the limit like my PC3 ($1,999 on sale now), the Yamaha Tyros 4, or to really blow you away the brand new Korg Kronos. Only $4,000 for the last two. Plug in those to your PC and hit play on Biab and see what happens. No more complaints about crappy midi sounds.

The big name soft synths are also pretty good but require some knowledge to get set up properly and even though I have a lot of them, I've gravitated back to hardware. Other experienced users have talked about how they've come to that same conclusion too. Unless you're really just short of cash, don't waste time, this is a worthwhile hobby that is worth some minimal investment. Try out the free demo of the Forte Dxi but then just spend the $400 for a good hardware module and go from there. It will save you about a year of breaking your head about finding quality midi sounds for cheap or free. I don't have time for that crap.

Biab is a starting point, a tool with a lot of good stuff included but after you've worked your way through that and want more, time to do some research, go to midi school and open up the old wallet.

Bob
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/22/11 05:50 PM
Quote:

It will save you about a year of breaking your head about finding quality midi sounds for cheap or free. I don't have time for that crap.

Wait, what? You're saying our time is worth something? What a concept!

R.
Posted By: jford Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/22/11 07:05 PM
Hi, Bob -

Thanks; wasn't looking to buy, but was just curious about what's out now. I just remember that the Roland SC-20 and the Ketron SD-20 both came out about the same time.
Posted By: JBlue7 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/22/11 09:03 PM
Hi Jeff.
I did some research on the Roland Sonic Cell after reading your message. I was considering the Roland SD-50 and a keyboard controller or keeping my Korg K50 Synth, the midi sounds are not too bad.
The Sonic Cell does indeed look and sound like an impressive bit of kit, gee but what a price..... I think that the SD-50 really has more options than I need with all the recording facilities which I do elsewhere with other kit.
There appears to be plenty of SC's available NEW over here but I have found one 3 months old with a warranty at half price so I have gone for it, doubt I will get it before Christmas now but I'm looking forward to using it. I will probably keep the X50 as I love this keyboard rather than go for a controller as I first considered. Hope I've done the right thing.
Have you any tips on using it???
Regards. Jeff [UK]
Long Live MIDI.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 12/23/11 02:43 PM
Quote:

<...>
The big name soft synths are also pretty good but require some knowledge to get set up properly and even though I have a lot of them, I've gravitated back to hardware. Other experienced users have talked about how they've come to that same conclusion too. <...>

I too prefer hardware synths to software synths for a few reasons.

• Hardware synths do not go out of style or become obsolete when the computer operating system gets updated. Synth modules that I bought when I was using the Atari, PC-DOS, and Motorola Mac computers still work today as well as they did the first day I bought them. Although some sounds are dated, there are still some great sounds left in these synths that have never been duplicated in newer modules
  • Hardware synths do not tax the computer's CPU. Software synths have to 'manufacture' the voice for each note using the computer's resources. This limits the number of synths you can mix and match. With hardware synths you can use the best voices from at least 16 different synths at the same time (and probably over 100). Hardware synths have their voices stored in ROM so neither the computer nor the synth has to 'do the math' to create the voice for each note played.
  • Hardware synths will never create a conflict with other running software apps in your computer causing it to crash
  • Hardware synths all have about the same latency (5ms give or take a ms or two - or for all practical purposes, none. This makes it easier to use more than one. With soft synths the latency can be up to almost a half second, and no two have the same latency. That makes track shifitng a necessity when using voices from more than one synth. And for each tempo change, the amount of track shift is different.
  • Hardware synths, are extremely reliable. The pre General MIDI Roland MT32 and Korg DDD5 synths I bought in the 1980s have never crashed (with one exception, the DDD5 needed a $5 battery replacement)

And in the MIDI example I gave earlier, I replaced 3 notes in the bass line each turn-around to do something that BiaB cannot do because it requires a chord change on a beat and the upbeat directly before that same beat. But that turn-around is so standard, I could cite hundreds of blues, rock, and country songs that use it. Even if I could replace 3 notes in a RT bass line at the end of each progression, the tone of the bass I have would not be a perfect match to the RT's bass voice and it would stick out like a sore thumb.

And in addition, if I decided the Flat Wound String Fender Jazz Bass sound was not right for the song, and I wanted a different feel, with a couple of mouse clicks I could have changed it to a picked bass, synth bass, acoustic bass, pizzicato bass, tuba or anything else my sound modules can provide. Same for the brass parts, with a couple of mouse clicks they could be saxophones, guitars, clarinets, clavinets, or whatever my imagination and my sound modules can provide. That way I can create two completely different sounding songs with the same style.

And I've done this many times, changed the guitar to a clav, changed the piano to a jazz guitar, changed the horn section to a piano, and so on.

It's the magic of MIDI that gives you complete flexibility and creative potential that is infinitely greater than you can have with pre-recorded loops. True it's at the expense of a little tone, but if you have good sounding synth modules, that difference in tone is minimal, while the creative potential is virtually limitless.

That's why I like MIDI.

I've had my fling with loops, I've had my fling with software synths, but I found I cannot be as creative with either format as I can with MIDI. And I bought my tools to create music. I bought these tools to play with them and therefore play music. If I want to hear someone else play music, I'll pop a CD into my stereo system or my DVD player and listen. With MIDI I get to involve myself with the music, create something that never was before, and listen with the 'look what I did' satisfaction that a child has when doing something he/she never did before.

Of course, there is more than one right way to make music, so YMMV.
Posted By: Cerio Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds -- SD2 mp3 sample - 12/25/11 01:07 PM
Quote:

And it says "RealTracks are audio, so that they aren't editable on a note-by-note basis. But you can use MIDI for this, by deleting the RealTracks section, and replacing it with the exact pattern or riff that you want (entered by you as MIDI notes on a MIDI Track)"

And that's my point. Different tools for different jobs. If I take a recorded guitar part from RTs and decide I want to change a few notes, I could use MIDI, but the tone wouldn't be the same. To match the tone I'd need an identical guitar, FX pedals, amp, mic, and recording studio equipment.

You can edit audio nearly as easily as it were MIDI in most modern DAWs. Reaper, for example, uses the same algorith as BIAB (Elastique) for audio stretching and pitch shifting, the process of changing musical phrases is very easy and offers great results. Melodyne is here since years, its newer versions allow polyphonic audio editing and DAW integration, demostrating that this area has a great future.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=ara#top

(BTW, I'm not trying to refuse your points about MIDI, just adding new points of view )
I had both the SD-4 and the Sonic Cell for side-by-side testing. While the Sonic Cell was very versatile (especially with the Patchman enhancements)it sounded nowhere near as real as the Ketron. The acoustic instruments sampled by Ketron are the best (especially the saxes.) I sold the Sonic Cell on eBay after about two weeks of comparison. But again, I mostly play bebop, ballads and bossas so those are the sounds that appeal to me. If you are a rock / funk player, the Sonic Cell may be a better fit.
Bob, you make compelling points about midi. I do use and will continue to use midi, as RTs as good as they can sound can not match the flexibility, and ease of midi. Having said that midi will never sound as real. I have tweaked and tweaked, for hours, and some things do not work well in midi. Hidden in the backing tracks it can get you by. But your example, while very well done, and very effective, is still midi sounding.

While I would never suggest someone scrap midi for RTs, a couple well designed out RTs in a midi track bed can make a song come to life. I take the tracks that are the most "Midish" and replace them, and i find magic at times. strumming guitar, guitar solos, rockin' piano tracks, harmonica, and such. just a taste can make you go wow, now that sound REAL!

When you posted your tracks, and then Peter posted his. I gotta say his kicked your tracks #%& No offense meant but his was live. I can see adding some really cool horns to his would be fun it lacked that, but yours lacked dynamics that the RTs gave.
I wish Peter had just posted the background, and not the melodies, it would have been a better comparison.

BTW, in the bass track on my sequence, I replaced 3 notes in the turn-around to match the rhythm of the horns. I don't see how I could have replaced 3 notes on the RTs.

Plus for my purposes, backing tracks for live duo performance (1) I'm going to play the solos myself and (2) to me the RTs sound too much like karaoke.

YMMV
Posted By: rharv Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds -- SD2 mp3 sample - 12/26/11 10:24 PM
Use the tool that gets the job done. I see Notes' point and I see Peter's point. Both are correct depending on the need and the situation. Can't control lights or get the exact refinement you may need wth RT's .. but you also can't replace a Brent Mason RT with MIDI.
Both have their place, and BiaB/RB offer both options. There's no reason to argue which is better if both are available.
Quote:

Use the tool that gets the job done. I see Notes' point and I see Peter's point. Both are correct depending on the need and the situation. Can't control lights or get the exact refinement you may need wth RT's .. but you also can't replace a Brent Mason RT with MIDI.
Both have their place, and BiaB/RB offer both options. There's no reason to argue which is better if both are available.

Very well said and I agree 100%
Quote:

+1 on that, too.

I'm not dissing RTs, they are simply one of the functions in BiaB that I don't use (does anyone use all the functions of BiaB?). And there is more than one right way to make music.

I'm disagreeing with the title "Unhappy with MIDI sounds" because MIDI has no sound at all, it all depends on the module that you are using to play back the MIDI sounds.

Notes
Yes I agree with rharv you need to use the right tool to achieve your goal and what sounds right to youself, we all have a different perception of sound and quality I guess. I'm getting back into MIDI more this last few weeks and getting some great GM sound from my X50 synth. Hoping the Roland Sonic Cell will improve on that too when it arrives. Anyone using one?
I don't think realtracks sound at all karaoke-ish at all if used right.
Wonderful to have the choice, it should PLEASE us ALL.
Regards. Jeff
Yes agreed, different tastes for different people.

I've always considered expression more important than tone myself, but I know I'm not the definitive arbitrator of taste. YMMV.

To me tone is subjective. Through the years there have been many singers/musicians that I thought had poor tone but have been extremely successful at communicating their personal emotion with the public. A few that come to mind are Bob Dylan, John Coltrane, Dr. John, Dexter Gordon, Rod Stewart, John Lennon, and many more.

And as I've said before, what is good tone anyway? To me, while I appreciate John Coltrane's genius, I don't care for his sax tone. For tenor sax, I think Stan Getz had the best tone. Other sax players prefer 'Trane's. And I suppose if I asked 50 sax players, I'd get at least 45 different favorites as far as tone is concerned. So there is no 'correct' tone. And do I sound like Stan Getz? Not at all. My horn/mouthpiece setup gives me more of a rock/blues tone in the ball park of King Curtis but I like to think uniquely my own.

So IMHO as long as the tone is 'in the ballpark' for the genre of music I'm playing, expression is far more important than the tone. And my own personal expression is most important because it is my soul that I am baring to the public.

When I play wind synthesizer, I most often play the Yamaha VL70m tone module. I know that it doesn't have the best tone out there. Samplers and ROMplers have better tone for most instruments. But the physical modeling synthesis of the VL allows me to recreate more of the nuances of the instruments I am emulating and more nuances in the synth voices I'm playing and that allows me to play more expressive music. And it allows me to insert my own personal expression into the music.

So the same for me with MIDI as opposed to loops. I may spend a few minutes, an hour, or even a day tweaking something that comes out of BiaB to make it mine. I don't consider it slaving over the notes or even work. To me it's playing music. What happens when I do this? What happens when I do that? Perhaps if I made the bass play a couple of syncopated notes here it would enhance the song? Perhaps if I changed the guitar patch in the bridge to have more distortion on it it would make the song better? Maybe the brass part would sound better if I made it started with a sfz and then swelled? I think I'll make the B3 patch spin like a fast Leslie here and then slow it down over there. What would it sound like if that sax section part echoed a melody fragment at the end of the phrase? Perhaps the song would have more drive if the 2s and 4s were pushed ahead of the beat, or a few ticks behind the beat? I know that that waltz would sound better if the second beat of the measure was rushed, after all most of the classical orchestras play waltzes like that, I learned to dance the waltz and I know that rushing the second beat feels good. The possibilities are only limited by my own imagination, and if my idea doesn't work, I can always undo it.

I inserted the 11 note opening theme of "Jingle Bells" slowly at the end held chord of a slow Christmas song. It's a fairly standard device, but when an audience member noticed it and remarked at how clever that was, it made my day.

Remember, they call it playing music for a reason. Playing around with it, experimenting, and listening to the results can be very satisfying. We get the "I did it" feeling which is different from listening to other people play music and getting the "They did it" feeling. Plus playing with the music, trying this, and trying that has made me listen to music in a different way. I think, "How did they do that" and then when I get to my 'studio' I try to reproduce what someone else did. If I like it, it becomes another tool in my own musical tool box and that makes me a better musician and it increases my fun when I am playing music.

When Leilani and I started our duo, we took ballroom dance lessons. Leilani has always been a dancer, but I've always been on the other side of the microphone. We didn't take the lessons to become ballroom dancers, but we felt that if we knew the basic steps of the dances we would know how the dances should feel - which beats should be rushed, which beats should be laid back, and so on. The end result was although the large orchestra on the cruise ship played a ballroom dance set, most of the ballroom people packed our lounge because the grooves were right for dancing. Same goes for rock, country, and other dances because this taught us how to listen. The end result was we broke all attendance records for the lounges we performed in on 3 different ships, and we got cabins that were twice as big as the other musicians and we got a porthole so we could look out the window when we were in our cabin. And we ended up playing 3 years on a 3 week contract.

Playing music and composing music is all about personal expression. Playing a CD, mp3 file or a pre-recorded loop is all about listening to someone else's personal expression. Taking the MIDI output of a fine BiaB song and then personalizing it to make it better than it was is not only fun to do, but it takes it out of someone else's personal expression and injects my own personal expression into the song. I become the creator as well as the listener.

I bought my CD and DVD machines to listen to music. --BUT-- I bought my saxophones, guitars, flute, keyboards, wind controllers, drum controller, synth modules, samplers, sequencers and Band-in-a-Box to play music. And if I can't play the music, I might as well pop a CD into the machine and sit back and enjoy someone else's creative efforts. I like to do that too, but I like playing music even more. I want to be the creator of the music that I play.

Again, this is my opinion, and YMMV.

Absolutely correct, Bob.

Any discussion about the quality of midi sounds must start with the intended usage. Both you and I are primarily live performers. I usually work in bands so everything is live but I will do some duo work in a casino and once about 4 years ago I subbed maybe 6 gigs for a sick friend who was a solo act. He gave me his midi files on a disc plus I set up a bunch of tunes in Biab and played them live using the Conductor feature. All I used was the very weak Roland VSC DXi for sound. The point here is the difference between playing out live and sitting in your bedroom with headphones and picking apart every little thing in the sound quality is huge. Live going through a 500W PA and a pair of JBL Eons in a noisy live venue, the VSC sounded great. And I mean surprisingly great. I let one song play and went out front to check and it really sounded good, none of that ticky tack midi sound at all. This was just using the minijack output from my laptop. At home the VSC is barely useable.

That's the difference between playing in a noisy live setting and listening in a quiet home studio where you can critically hear every little thing.

Bob
Notes, I will add one more. To my ears (disclaimer) NOTHING sounds as good to me as my old Ensoniq synths and sampler. I have much more control (maybe better stated "sounds I can get with no learning curve") over keyboards that I have been using for years than I do with software based synths that I have never seen before.

Again, for my taste, I prefer my external hardware. There is really no time where I will have a moment of "I have to have that one sound from the Prophet 5 that I remember from the early 80s". My stuff has nice organ sounds, strings, clavs, I have a piano.... just no need for synths for me. Rather than write midi tracks to play note events I would play parts and record audio. In fact in a year with BIAB/RB I have yet to record a midi event. 100% audio.
Posted By: rharv Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds -- SD2 mp3 sample - 12/30/11 12:33 AM
For the record, you could be recording the MIDI too, just in case you want to try out a different sound at a later date. Or want to adjust the existing synth's sound later. Send it out later as MIDI with a different TVF on that same Ensonique, and it may just make the song.

If possible I record both, and RB allows it. By enabling a checkbox in prefs ..
I understand a couple of things about this debate:

1) Many people listen to MIDI files on the $0.99 cent synthesizer chip on their sound card. No wonder they dislike the MIDI sounds as the Synth they use to play the sounds is cheesy sounding (What do you expect for a chip that costs less than a dollar?)

2) Others listen on software synths, many of which are designed to put the minimum load on the computer's CPU (especially the affordable ones). They compromise the line between taxing the computer and making good sounds. The VSC that used to come with BiaB is a prime example. The original Sound Canvas, Roland SC55 sounds much better than the VSC ever dreamed of sounding -- and it's latency is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5ms (or for all practical purposes, nada).

3) Playing music for a recording session and playing music for a live performance are two entirely different skills and require two entirely different approaches and playing styles. That is why so many groups use studio musicians to cut their records (of course they don't always tell you that). But people like Carol Kaye have played on over 10,000 sessions and were the musicians in countless band and single artist recordings. And that is just the "wrecking crew" group in California.

I don't know if I posted this account before in this thread or a related thread, so please excuse me if it's redundant.

I am doing a "Friday the 13th" party in January, so I learned three songs for the gig, Stevie Wonder's "Superstition", Albert King's "Born Under A Bad Sign" and the Etta James version of The Temptations' "Shakey Ground".

We have a regular Tuesday afternoon gig and we always get there early to set up and run through new songs on the PA system (we have a smaller system in our studio, but it doesn't always sound the same}.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend who is an excellent guitarist and songwriter came early while we were going through "Shakey Ground". He wasn't familiar with the song so I played a WAV file of the Etta James version that recorded from my Vinyl LP and put on my computer (from "7 Year Itch" a masterpiece of an album). Sample of the song in question here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqfbITeaXc

When it was done he remarked that my backing track had a lot more punch than the recording. Believe me, it's not because I'm a better musician than the session guys on that album, they are monsters. It is because of a couple of things:

1) MIDI instruments have more separation and more dynamic response than a mastered/compressed recording. This is the main reason why audio loops sound so "karaoke-ish".

2) As I mentioned before, playing live is different from playing in a studio. There are things you do live that don't work on a recording and things on a recording that don't work live. Balance, groove, dynamics, etc., are all different on stage than they are when you are looking through the glass of the fish tank.

I didn't do the song with BiaB because I am so in love with the Etta James version that I copied the bass, guitar, and drum part to the best of my ability. I did a slight variation on the horn part, and left holes for Leilani and I to play live instruments on top of the track (I don't want the MIDI musicians to have all the fun).

But basically it is the clear, separation of MIDI instruments and the ability to edit a MIDI file that make my backing track sound better than the recording. If I could have found a karaoke file of that arrangement (I didn't look so I don't even know if it is available) the karaoke version would have sounded like I was playing karaoke. The instruments would have been played, mastered and blended for a studio performance and not a live performance.

Now playing at an ungodly loud volume would help the recording. That's why discos get people moving. But if you hear a live band, a MIDI band and the recording played at the same volume, the live band would have the most punch, followed by the MIDI band and the recording would have the least.

It's just the nature of the beast.

Don't wanna hate on midi ,I have used sounds that worked . But in my opinion RT's sound better to me . I have and use some expensive VSTI's and no free ones ,also a MAC with Logic Studio Pro . All have some great midi sounds ,but pale in comparison to PG's new tracks . Logic has ton's of wav based loops that still sound better than their midi . I only say this because when I have brought tracks to sell at studios when it's midi based they say they don't want any Biab songs. When it's RT's they love it . Still only my opinion and people buying my tracks . Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers , I meant to offend no one .
Quote:

Don't wanna hate on midi ,I have used sounds that worked . But in my opinion RT's sound better to me . I have and use some expensive VSTI's and no free ones ,also a MAC with Logic Studio Pro . All have some great midi sounds ,but pale in comparison to PG's new tracks . Logic has ton's of wav based loops that still sound better than their midi . I only say this because when I have brought tracks to sell at studios when it's midi based they say they don't want any Biab songs. When it's RT's they love it . Still only my opinion and people buying my tracks . Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers , I meant to offend no one .

to my ears, the difference between real tracks and MIDI is in the nuance...
with MIDI you need to either PLAY it into the project so that your technique introduces the nuanc... or you need to tweak the continuous controllers to approximate the subtle things a musician would do that an automated track does NOT do...

but the actual recordings of skilled performers already HAVE all that technique built in. Plus, the subtle differences in tone that happen with the various ways a string is plucked etc etc... all that is automatically a part of the real tracks.
Good musicians, under the direction of a good baton, drop most tied notes and shorten many others. The problem is a real horn will vibrate and decay and many players learn to count and think that 2 is always 2. It's not, if you want ...separation. Midi can have zero decay, and thus there is sonic space. That's ok if you have a band and you are able to creatively account for that.

Two of the three leaders I play horn with are very cognizant of stuff like decay, and you typically get a chart that's all marked up. I find that part most interesting.

I have not messed about with realtracks in this context. I just use my 'ears' to figure out what I want, and if the tracks meet that expectation.
Hi all...

Just to add my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I bought BIAB ultra pack in '09. After playing around and around with the RT that came with it I found that I liked using MIDI instead. Shortly after getting the BIAB bundle I took Mac's advice and bought a Ketron sd2... that is what kept me from using the RTs and using MIDI in everything I did and do.

My point being that if you have the right hardware, MIDI is a strong option because if anything, I find working, editing etc much easier. It goes without saying that the Ketron is one fantastic little piece of hardware.

I go back a long time with MIDI... the very first purchace I made back in the early '90's was a Roland "Rap-10" which was then considered to be the best MIDI card on the market and it WAS a great piece of hardware for that era.

One question I have is... has there been any new changes made to BIAB, the program itself, since '09, without the RTs? If so, is it even possible to get just the BIAB software update? Again... just BIAB without any Real Tracks?

Happy New Year!!!

Bobby
I agree that midi played rather than generated has subtle nuances and that alone is where I stand on my use . I can play piano ,but not great so I edit it to work . My main interest is guitar and selling tracks . So far only RT's have paid money for straight out of the box Biab use , with no added software expense . IMHO
Lots of midi improvements.

Contact Sales.

Sales end on Jan 1 usually.
Tommy... like you, I'm not a piano player and I'm probably even worse than you. In fact, I can only do anything in the C formation and even then it is a hunt and peck style of playing. Therefore, doing everything in MIDI allows me to slow the song down a lot so that I can enter my lead, piano, fiddle, etc. notes when I bring the song into Sonar. I'm actually only using BIAB for it's styles and usually just for just the bass and drum tracks. Once all the insurments are done in Sonar I then put in my audio tracks... rhythm guitar, vocals, harmony.

I'm using Sonar 8 Producer for the same reason... I can't play piano. And so Sonar allows me to enter the song's key as a number... 0 being C, 2 being D, etc. So... whatever key I pick, I'm able to play in that key in the C formation. Even when the song is shut down and opened again I'm still able to do this. Like I said... I CAN NOT play piano and so this setup works for me. And seeing as I have been using Cakewalk since version 3 was the ultimate music software to have (am I really that old?), I am very comfortable working with it.

John... after a quick look in PG sales I still haven't found the BIAB software as a stand alone... it seems that everything I've seen includes RealTracks with it. Because of the fact that I'm a MIDI kind of guy - I very rarely use RT, mebbe if it came with some new MIDI styles I would investigate. Mebbe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Bobby
Posted By: Cerio Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds -- SD2 mp3 sample - 12/30/11 10:29 PM
Quote:

But if you hear a live band, a MIDI band and the recording played at the same volume, the live band would have the most punch, followed by the MIDI band and the recording would have the least.

To my ears, if the recorded musicians were good and the recording engineer did a good job, the recording will sound much better than any MIDI sequence through any sound module.
Quote:

<...>To my ears, if the recorded musicians were good and the recording engineer did a good job, the recording will sound much better than any MIDI sequence through any sound module.

But it would sound like a good recording, not a good live performance. There is a huge difference between the two. I've done session work and I've done live work from the 1960s to the present, and I play quite differently in the recording studio than I do in a live setting. It's the proverbial apples and oranges.

But the subject of this post is "Unhappy with MIDI sounds" so I'll stay on topic.

There is no doubt that in many cases recording a real instrument sounds better than the MIDI equivalent. Of course that is dependent on the synth. Many recordings and touring bands use synths, and virtually all modern synths are MIDI based. Grand pianos, Rhodes, B-3s, etc.

"Rolling Stone" magazine decided that Edgar Winters' "Frankenstein" was one of the 100 best rock guitar solos, and Edgar did it all on a synth. And today's synths are much better than they were back then. "Rolling Stone" magazine obviously didn't think the synth sounds were bad.

And as I said before, just what is good tone anyway? For electric guitar is it Hendrix? Slash? Les Paul? Van Halen? Joe Pass? Emily Remler? Orianthi? Terry Katy? Johnny Winter? Jeff "Skunk" Baxter? Wes Montgomery? Chuck Berry? Al Di Meola? Carlos Santana? Jeff Beck? Eric Gale? Randy Rhoads? George Benson? Duane Allman? Chet Atkins? Martin Barre? Allan Holdsworth? Scotty Moore? Brad Paisley? Bono? Steve Cropper? Noel Gallagher? Kenny Burrell? B.B. King? Freddie King? Albert King? Eric Clapton? Duane Eddy? Kirk Hammett? Joe Walsh? Peter Frampton? Robben Ford? Robert Fripp? Steve Lukather? I could go on and on.

And on which guitar? Which amp? What FX settings?

The point is that good tone is both variable and subjective. If the synth tone is only 90% there, for all practical purposes it nails it. Of course the $0.99 chip on your sound card isn't 90% there (or even close).

But a good synth module will get tone in that 90%-99% range on most instruments. Other synths will cover the sounds that the first one may lack.

The thing with MIDI is the potential expression is so variable. When the tone is 'in the ballpark' expression becomes more important than tone. And expression varies from musician to musician and even with the same musician it varies from song to song depending on the mood of the song. This is one area where MIDI excels over pre-recorded loops. But it has it's Achilles heel as well. Because it is easy to make a MIDI file, a lot of people make them who don't have the skills to do it right. And like any instrument, some are excellent and some are terrible.

I like MIDI for the ability to express myself musically. To me self-expression is what being a musician is all about. If I want to hear someone else express themselves, I'll put a CD or LP into my playback system at home. I enjoy that as well. But I also love to play music. So working with MIDI allows me to play the computer to get my expression into the music. Even when working with BiaB files exported as MIDI. I can add parts, subtract others and massage them until they represent my expression.

Looking at the number of synth players in pop, country and jazz music to me says that MIDI sounds are excellent. I even went to a classical music concert performed by a world-famous touring orchestra and the Celeste and Organ parts were done on a synthesizer.

You said <<if the recorded musicians were good and the recording engineer did a good job>> but in today's recording studios, many of the instruments used were MIDI instruments in the first place.

So obviously there is nothing wrong with MIDI sounds. There is no such thing as MIDI sounds. MIDI just plays the synth you are using. However there might be something wrong with the synth that many people use to play back the MIDI sounds.

To me music is all about individual expression. I'll forfeit a little sound for a way to put my musical expression into it any day. YMMV
The answer to the statement in the question is obviously this:
Midi has no sounds.
Midi can be manipulated note by note by a craftsman who, can spend hours on a phrase, send it to some collection of synthophones and have it approximate an instrument as they see it.

Some are here to state they hold their noses at RealTracks and are not shy to advertise, even commercially, that THEIR midi beats any real instrument at realism.

Real Instrument campers don't use midi.

Some people (gasp) use both.

As I stated earlier, some synths like the Roland JV1010 and family can be had for under 50 bucks now. Get one if you use midi.

Of course now that the midi is out of the bag we can start endless threads about how this or that plug in is used ...with this or that amp...stereo vrs mono, and other stuff (yawn).

[Bob] Many people listen to MIDI files on the $0.99 cent synthesizer chip on their sound card. No wonder they dislike the MIDI sounds as the Synth they use to play the sounds is cheesy sounding (What do you expect for a chip that costs less than a dollar?)

==========================================
Bob,

What "synth chip" are you talking about?

Other than "blasts from the past", I can't think of any common "synth chip" around these days...

Some Soundblaster cards have a Creative Hardware synthesizer built-in, but that uses a software synth for its sounds, and can play any SoundFont, including fabulous sounding ones. So its not a 99 cent synth chip, since it has no sounds. And not many people that I know are using SoundBlaster for their MIDI sounds, as they have switched to software synths.

Then there were Adlib and FM chips, but they haven't been around since the 90's
You can read about those for historical value here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiptune

The typical PC that we all use doesn't have any kind of "synth chip" with sounds on it. The MIDI sounds that most people use these days (aside from external MIDI modules) are software synthesizers, which aren't 'chips'. They are sophisticated software. Furthermore, they are VST or DX Instruments, so they play in perfect synch with your files, and the sounds can be rendered to audio easily.

These days, the reality is, you can buy an el-cheapo PC from walmart, install a fabulous software synth, and get state of the art MIDI sounds with almost no latency (<5ms) if you use an ASIO driver.

This latency with software synths (using ASIO) can actually be much ** lower ** than with external MIDI modules, because a MIDI cable takes about 1ms to transmit each note, so that if there are 25 notes (10 note offs, and 15 note ons) at the beginning of a bar, the last note is delivered up to 25ms late, which is noticeably heard as a 'jerk' in the playback. (then there's the hardware synth's latency to add to this). This "slow MIDI cable transmission of notes" doesn't happen on software synths, because the information is not limited by slow MIDI transmission.

For example, if you are using Band-in-a-Box, and use the Coyote Wavetable synth (or the Roland VSC, or the Coyote Forte), you aren't using any kind of "synth chip" on your sound card. Most people don't even have sound cards, let alone synth chips on them.

So, please let us know, since most of your posts refer to this "99 cent synth chip" that is present in a typical PC, what are you talking about????
Posted By: Glenn Kolot Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/02/12 01:02 AM
It didn't take me long to realize that sound card sounds were bad - really bad.

However, finding a good sound depends on the instrument being modeled. Pianos are probably done better than other instruments - because they are the easiest to model.

Instruments such as horns (probably the hardest) and other instruments that are totally controlled by the human body are extremely difficult. A guitarist's fingers have immense control over sound. Likewise the horn player has immense control and can affect many subtle variations on the sound with fingers, breathing and lips.

Control of these aspects with MIDI are complex enough to be approaching the impossible. The static continuous sound is one thing, but the nuances of horns and (particularly) guitars are another matter.

There are piano simulations that are good enough to fool many people all the time, and most people quite often.

I'm not optimistic that many other instruments will be as easily modeled as the piano.

Glenn
Posted By: axeplayer Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/03/12 03:00 PM
Well listening to Notes Norton example of midi

and the biab realtracks demo

http://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/jazzu/misc/BluesEPianoGuitar.WMA

I feel that the realtracks win hands down the Notes Notes example especially the drums sound too mid to me (though in certain genre of music such as dance that may be a good thing)

Just my opinion,

Axey
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/03/12 03:23 PM
Quote:

Well listening to Notes Norton example of midi ... I feel that the realtracks win hands down the Notes Notes example especially the drums sound too mid to me -- Axey

In all fairness to "Notes", he is not presenting his midi file as a "record/album" example. He is showing it as an example of a backing track where at least two instruments are playing live. Having live instruments mixed in with midi always makes the midi sound better (fools the ears). I am listening to his "Sweet Home Chicago" track and it is really good. I like RT's better, but I understand why folks like midi better -- you have total control (if you are so inclined).

Kevin
Quote:

The typical PC that we all use doesn't have any kind of "synth chip" with sounds on it.
For example, if you are using Band-in-a-Box, and use the Coyote Wavetable synth (or the Roland VSC, or the Coyote Forte), you aren't using any kind of "synth chip" on your sound card. Most people don't even have sound cards, let alone synth chips on them.

So, please let us know, since most of your posts refer to this "99 cent synth chip" that is present in a typical PC, what are you talking about????

Ok, now I'm completely confused Peter. Of course every PC sold has a soundchip on the motherboard, where do you think the Windows sounds comes from? Unless I'm way offbase here, the Coyote Wavetable is only a piece of code to allow the built in MS Wavetable (the one built into every PC) to act as a DXi but the actual sounds themselves are still just the basic .99c chip Notes is talking about (it may be much less than .99c it could only be a few pennies).

Are you now saying that's not the case, the Coyote Wavetable actually has its own soundset separate from the MS Wavetable?

Bob
A followup Peter from Wikipedia:

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. The Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth included in versions of Direct X as an integral part of DirectMusic is a version of the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas with GS sound set licensed by Microsoft from Roland Corporation in 1996.[1] The wavetable file about 3 MiB in size is named "GM.DLS" which tells us that the wavetable is in DLS format.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/28

Note the opening sentence Today all motherboards have an embedded soundcard...
@jazzmammal,

Peter's definition of "synth chip" is on the money. There is no dedicated sound synthesizer chip. The MS GS Wavetable SW Synth is a software synthesizer. A very small sample set, the GM.DLS, is a lookup table of samples stored in a file, not in RAM or ROM. It's a software synthesizer of the sample playback variety, not a hardware synth.

While all MOBOs these days do in fact have an on-board sound chip of some type, they do not have 'synthesizer' chips on them, which based on some kind of command will generate sounds via dedicated oscillator chips.

Contrast this with some of the soundblaster cards of the past, add-on cards inserted into slots, which had dedicated synthesizer chips on-board.

These days, there really is no need for any of the dedicated DSP for sample playback. Playback of sound samples continues to become lighter weight tasks for modern era processing capability.

-Scott
Awww, picky, picky, picky. Got it now.

This reminds me of that discussion a few months ago about the technical definition of "soundcard" and how everything in the last few years except a Soundblaster is not a soundcard but rather an interface. Since I was one of those arguing for the correct usage of terms, I stand corrected.

Bob
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/04/12 12:33 AM
There is no MIDI synth on a motherboard, hence no 99 cent synth chip

The DSP functionality on the motherboard is to process already prepared
Audio, not synthesize it from MIDI.

So in a discussion about lousy MIDI sounds, there's no blame to be put on the motherboard or an imagined 99 cent synth chip.

If you aren't using an external MIDI module, the MIDI sounds from your PC are coming from software synthesizers.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/04/12 02:51 PM
Sorry to be out of the loop for a day or so -- gigs and family -- I've been delightfully busy!

Seems I'm behind the times. The chip is gone and we have a software synth in modern computers. I guess I have to get out more.

If my computers are any example, software or hardware, the built in MIDI software sounds in my PCs and Mac are still cheesy.

I never said the MIDI sounds are better than the Real Tracks sounds. In fact, I have repeatedly say that MIDI has no sounds, but MIDI synthesizers play the sounds in the way that the MIDI data instructions tell them to. A good MIDI synthesizer can come close to the RT sounds. If you spend enough money the MIDI sounds would be even better than the acoustic instrument sounds, at least according to all the synth players who play on major recordings and in major concerts.

What I say is:
  1. If you have a good sound card, the MIDI sounds are definitely 'good enough' and coupled with the ability to edit the MIDI data, you can create something that is impossible to create with audio loops. Like the example where I changed the 3 notes in the bass line to match the horns that I added. With RTs that turn around would be impossible. I also changed the bass to a walking bass in the solo section when a walking bass was not in the style. Another impossibility with audio loops without changing the sound of the bass.
  2. We musicians have trained ears and care a lot about tone. The general public does not, they care more about expression, and that is where MIDI has it's advantage -- you can play with the tracks to get more expression. If the public cared about tone, Stevie Nicks, Rod Stewart, Doctor John, Bob Dylan, Blossom Dearie, Leon Redbone, John Lennon, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, Maynard Ferguson, and thousands of others would have never reached stardom. I know somebody is going to say, "I like Coltrane's tone" and that's just the point. Tone is in the ear of the listener. I think Luciano Pavarotti had a much better voice than either José Carreras or Plácido Domingo, but others would disagree. I think Stan Getz has much better tone than John Coltrane. Others disagree. The majority of the general public could care less, they just like or dislike the music that they make -- their personal expression is what moves the audience.
  3. Playing for a recording and playing live are two different ways of playing. With MIDI tracks you can optimize your song for live performance
  4. Pr-recorded tracks are mixed and mastered for a recording, MIDI tracks have more separation, the result is the loops can sound like karaoke while the MIDI tracks do not.

They both have their uses. If I was sending a songwriting demo off to Nashville, I'd use Real Tracks as I know many of the people are opposed to MIDI demos. If I was making a backing track to play live over I'd use MIDI tracks.

I think what Peter Gannon and the crew have done with the Real Tracks is simply amazing. But like any looping software, you can only go so far with it. Your own personal creativity is limited. You cannot change or edit any of the notes in the pre-recorded audio.

I've been working with MIDI since the 1980s. When loops became popular I bought some looping software and some loops from the big companies that advertise in Keyboard and Electronic Musician magazines. At first I was impressed by the tone. But in a while the honeymoon was over when I found that I couldn't do what I wanted to do with them. I couldn't change anything about the loops, just rearrange them. It was like making a collage out of a finite set of clippings. What I wanted to do simple things like change a few bass notes? Set the high note in the horn part up an octave? What if I wanted to delete a few notes? What if I wanted to do something more complex? Can't do it. I bought music software to PLAY it and PLAY WITH it. I suppose not everybody is like me. I also like to play other people's music, and that is what I have a CD/DVD player for. But when I'm making music, I want my own personal ideas and my own personal expression to come through. I want to play with it. That's why they call it playing music.

The title of this thread is "Unhappy with MIDI sounds". I say that

• MIDI can be almost as good as real sounds played in a good synthesizer
  • The public cares more about expression than they do about the finer points of tone
  • MIDI can represent your own personal musical expression more than pre-recorded loops can

Summary: I like MIDI better as (a) I know the public cares more about expression than tone and (b) I think the ability to put my own personal expression into the music far outweighs any difference in the tone between my moderately priced MIDI synths and the pre-recorded loops, YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: John Conley Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/04/12 03:10 PM
The general public does not care one hoot about your perfect turn around or that signature lick. I can play A Whiter Shade of Pale and get thanked for my rendition solo on a piano and people love it and compliment it. And each time I do it 'new'.

I'm no where near the original.

It's like the rule in Karaoke. One person in ten can sing well and 1 in 20 can really catch you up in the thing. I just leave, but heck I have been on the road and stuck in some bar at 9 when it starts up with no alternative in sight. (Now that I've had my kids teach me an android phone I just go outside, grab a gps signal and ask the phone what's close and who's playing. Very useful)

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Spend time on your own notes. In the end it's your job to sell it. I have lots of M. Buble's CD's and can tell you, I don't remember the 'turnarounds' or the horns. They are there, but his words, inflection, and sense of good time come through. If you can't be up front and have less than the perfect everytime bass line you wrote, pray tell what software are you going to use? I suppose it's all in some DAW. Lots of fun.

I like Band in a Box because my set lists move around. And I don't have to spend hours on a lick. I like it that way. And that's how it should be marketed. We are losing sight of what the program is supposed to do, and starting to cater to special interests.

It is supposed to work OUT OF THE BOX. Well enough to do what it claims.

If the future was MIDI you'd see lots of new stuff for MIDI. But it's going the other way.

Within 5 years all computers will be touch screen, tablet shaped or folded up, have wireless multiple ways, AND Band in a Box will run on a new revamped touch interface. And midi will be a memory. I may not be here to see it but I'd bet my lowest loonie, or bottom dollar in the US that our music stands and computers will mesh and there will be no cables at all required if you have a wireless mic. Wireless transmission of music and data, controlled by something you stuff in your pocket.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/04/12 03:31 PM
Bob your points are certainly valid, to a degree. Where i disagree is where you make a finite statement. The net is full of karaoke midi files. Van Basco and many other sites, to name at least one. even with a top notch synth these have a distinctive midi sound, the drums hits are right on, the piano chops are perfect, the guitar is perfect, the electric guitar bends are midish sounding. Try to get a backing vocal sound from a midi file the oohs and aahs start and stop robotish.

All of this can be reworked, and tweaked, fiddled with, and much can be made to be more human, but it will never sound 100% human played. Your song is a perfect example, the piano chops chink chink chink are in absolute perfect timing, not capable of the variables that Peter RT had, that sound like a classic rock piano track being enjoyed, playing in the mix. There are some sounds that will always sound a bit mechanical. Pedal steel, electric guitar, vocal harmonies, Harmonica's to name a few.

Played live with two good musicians it can sound pretty good. I also think comparing a recorded song to having RTs in a song bed is apples and oranges. I did a song last night and over layed a Brent mason solo using the new multi riff feature and i was stunned at the results. I have a version of an old Classic country swing type song using a midi bass, and adding three RTS the results are incredible, it sound like a modern hot country band. The blending of RTs used with moderation along with well chosen midi tacks, and a few tossed in personally played live tracks can be a very successful product.

I just think it is a bit narrow viewed to say one is better than the other, and kind of like saying a hammer is better than a saw. That might be true until you need to cut the board.
Posted By: Anonymous Post deleted by Andrew - PG Music - 01/04/12 04:57 PM
Posted By: MikeK Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds -- SD2 mp3 sample - 01/04/12 05:30 PM
Bablefish translater?
Wow,now that's VERBOSE.

I pale by comparison, and feel an antique attitude aptly describes by definition duly documented. Shurely martin muses on mystical moments, but my modem muddles along marvoulously.

I have and use Norton products, but have to admit, that's becoming his gig.

As said there are tracks all over the place. Look for 96 tears. I can wail away at that on the keyboard/organ for hours. I just want it to sound good, and I prefer realtracks.

I suppose gentlemen prefer midi now.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/04/12 09:53 PM
Quote:

<...>
Within 5 years all computers will be touch screen, tablet shaped or folded up, have wireless multiple ways, AND Band in a Box will run on a new revamped touch interface. And midi will be a memory. <...>

John you have a lot of good points, but here is where I respectfully disagree. MIDI will not disappear until another way for synthesizers to talk to each other gets invented. Before MIDI synth players had to be fenced in by a dozen or more keyboards piled on top of each other and in a U shape. MIDI not only became the solution for that so a synth player needs only one or two keyboards and lots of synth modules, but it also has become the communications system internally in most synthesizers.

MIDI came about with a rare cooperation between competing brands of synthesizers back in the adolescent phase of the synth market. I don't see Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweill, Casio, Moog, Hammond, Korg, M-Audio, Ensoinq, Novation, Technics, Akai, Buchla, and the other companies getting together again for a new standard any time soon. Especially since MIDI still works well and has room for more growth.

Saying MIDI will be a memory is like saying synths will be a memory. I could be wrong, but I don't see synths or MIDI disappearing in my lifetime.

I do see it disappearing in the amateur/hobbyist market because it's easier to play loops than to create the music yourself.

Another point I disagree with is the audience does give a hoot about signature licks. They may think your rendition of whatever is good enough, but if someone else comes along and does it better, they will know the difference. When I play the signature lick on the intro to "Don't Be Cruel" the audience responds before I sing the first note. Same for the intro to "Old Time Rock And Roll", "New York NY", "Electric Boogie", "Memory" (from Cats), "Sea Cruise", "At Last", "Key Largo", "Come Monday", "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine", "California Dreaming", "Build Me Up Buttercup", "Margaritaville", "Crocodile Rock", "Proud Mary", "Sweet Caroline", "Smooth" (Santana), "Conga", "Volcano", "Turn The Beat Around", "Dancing Queen", "Dreams" (Fleetwood Mac),"Hot Hot Hot", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Just The Way You Are", "Pretty Woman", "Satin Doll", "That's Amore", "Time In A Bottle" and dozens of other songs. They hit the dance floor before the first note is sung, because they know those hooks.

You even hear the "1,001 Strings" and other Muzak versions of pop songs doing the signature licks, because in many songs, these licks are important to the song. When I learn a song I determine which songs I think must have those signature licks in them and I include them. On other songs I may completely re-arrange the tune. It's my choice, it's my personal artistic taste (for what that's worth) and MIDI allows me to make that choice - pre-recorded loops do not.

But I also agree without the vocals and/or other lead instruments on top of the background, the best backing track in the world is pretty worthless. I also think that the solos in Peter's excellent example are a bit part of the reason why his sounds better. When I play that sequence, I sing and play guitar licks live on top of it and Leilani plays rhythm guitar and does fill-in vocals. By then you hardly know that the brass sounds only sound 'almost' like real horns and the drums are cigital samples of real drums instead of digital recordings of the drums themselves.

Quote:

Bob your points are certainly valid, to a degree. Where i disagree is where you make a finite statement. The net is full of karaoke midi files. Van Basco and many other sites, to name at least one.

I've visited those sites and most of the MIDIs I found there are not well done. Many of them are step entered or played by a hobbyist who doesn't play to pro standards. It's rare to find the gem in all that schlock. But it's like YouTube videos, people want to show off their stuff, although IMO some people should work on their skills more before they do.

Quote:

Your song is a perfect example, the piano chops chink chink chink are in absolute perfect timing, not capable of the variables that Peter RT had

I played those piano parts live into a sequencer before I imported the snippets into the BiaB styles. I play all the parts of my styles live into a sequencer that has a resolution of up to 960ppq. Any quantization done would be by PG Music's archaic 120ppq resolution in BiaB. It takes the 960ppq and resolves the timing 8 times coarser. 240 to well over 900ppq is the standard of the industry and people have been asking for at least 240 on the wish list for over a decade. It's not the fault of MIDI, it's the fault of the resolution. It is one of the reasons why we MIDI folks want PG Music to improve the core MIDI functions alongside the RT improvements. We don't mind the RTs as long as PG doesn't abandon the improvements to the MIDI functions (there is a long list but that's another thread on the wish list).

Quote:

I just think it is a bit narrow viewed to say one is better than the other, and kind of like saying a hammer is better than a saw. That might be true until you need to cut the board.

I agree, which is why I try to give all due respect for the RTs, and never claimed that MIDI is better for everyone, but it is definitely better for me.

I've stated that if I was using a songwriting demo, I'd use RTs, but if I wanted to play live I'd use MIDIs. And I gave my personal reasons and included YMMV. One tool for each job.

And I have quite a few customers, mostly professionals who agree with me.

Again this thread started as "unhappy with MIDI sounds" and I'm simply trying to explain why the user is unhappy with the sounds in his/her synthesizer and what the actual pros to MIDI are. Sacrificing a little sound quality for greater personal expression is the way I choose to go. Again YMMV.

There are Rap stars who have had hit records without playing a single instrument - 100% loops of other people playing -- and without any singing. On the other end of the spectrum there are people who want nothing but acoustic instruments recorded in an analog format. Neither method is right or wrong, and most of us make our music somewhere between the two extremes.

The thing to know is what the pros and cons of all the available methods are and choose the one or the combination that is right for you. I choose MIDI because it allows me to personalize all my parts. And I choose to play a MIDI wind controller, natural singing voice, acoustic sax, acoustic flute, and electric guitar over the tops of those tracks. It works for me. Leilani and I have been making our living in the same duo since 1985. What works for another will be slightly different. YMMV.

Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/04/12 10:05 PM
I can agree with most of that Bob. I can even see your logic for sure. I certainly agree that signature licks are vital to many songs. I try to have a nice mix where the signature licks are there, and some that are my take on the song. Some songs are just so dated, that a good new version can do wonders.

We have a full tool box, and also the ability to chose what tool we want for the job. A hammer might make a very bad saw, but as far as saws go a circular, saber, or jig saw can all cut wood.

I do appreciate your thoughts especially since you come from a background of 27 years of experience.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/05/12 02:15 AM
MIDI sounds can be fabulous, as good or better than "actual" for some instruments (especially bass, piano, drums). Particularly if you're recording your own tunes, able to play the parts on keyboards, yes, choose MIDI instruments, and you'll get great results. No hassles about setting up mics to record the instruments etc.

But if we're talking about Band-in-a-Box ** styles **, its a different question....

Band-in-a-Box RealTracks styles aren't just real instrument samples, that could be duplicated with a good MIDI modules. They also contain the nuances of a real musician playing his instrument. Band-in-a-Box MIDI styles do not.

Rather than try to describe which approach is better, why not have a listen to the results, and judge for yourself.

Comparison Demos... Band-in-a-Box RealTracks styles and MIDI styles
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...SID=#Post347191
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/05/12 06:38 AM
Peter i find that almost every cover tune i do now has at least one RT in it. Even if I stay with a midi signature lick for easy Identity, i find that adding an RT or two breathes life into the song. A nice muted guitar, and maybe a finger picked guitar, or a subtle bit of fiddle, or Pedal steel.

I gotta say the multi riff feature is one of the best. It seems to be able to place the solo in the best spots, where when i do it myself it is sometimes just a tad off.

Bob's point about the flexibility of midi is spot on, and he makes some powerful points, but i gotta say i love RTs they have opened up a big door for me.

Variety is the spice of life.
Quote:

Quote:

<...>To my ears, if the recorded musicians were good and the recording engineer did a good job, the recording will sound much better than any MIDI sequence through any sound module.

But it would sound like a good recording, not a good live performance. There is a huge difference between the two.

Notes, I have great respect for you as a person and as a musician. Please hear what I'm about to say in that context. Some of what's being said here doesn't jive with what's been said before

I seem to recall you saying on more than one occasion that you have been playing along with MP3s for quite some time. If there is a difference between the raw punch of a MIDI module and that of an audio file, both played through the same PA... by going to the MP3s, you've put yourself in the same place as the guy using real tracks. Once you've ended up with audio, the punch is in the mixing and mastering
Quote:

I play in a duo for a living. There are other duos in our area who use karaoke tracks they purchase on the 'net. Nothing wrong with that either. However, IMHO having real instruments in the backing track sounds like karaoke. Something about the timbre, the mix, and the blending of the instruments sound like a recording instead of a live performance.

Regarding the notion that songs recorded with Real Tracks sound like karaoke: I've researched the karaoke route, and an awful lot of it is MIDI. I dare say it's the MIDI stuff that gives karaoke a bad name. The BEST karaoke is recorded by real musicians in a studio. Now, if you're saying that real Tracks sound like the karaoke that's recorded by real musicians in a studio... that says something completely different about the sound of real tracks.

Quote:

Judging from the comments our audience members, many audience members know the difference too, because they tell me comments like, "Band X is only doing karaoke". The word only is the killer to my ears.

I dare say, the difference the audience notices is in your vibrant performance more than in the backing tracks. We're talking about the same audiences who barely differentiate between a real band, a DJ and karaoke.
Quote:

The different tools in your toolbox are for different applications. You can use the big crescent wrench to hammer a nail, but a real hammer will work better.

wait.. .are you saying that totally synthetic music is the real hammer but professional studio musicians playing note-perfect passages = the musical equivalent of using a crescent wrench to drive a nail??

whoah.

In the end, whether you start with MIDI or real tracks then mix down to an audio file for final use, you end up with a backing track that sounds like a live musician played it. Why on earth would you steadfastly resist using such a great tool?
A buddy of mine here is a drummer. Yamaha give him his drums. He tours with different bands, and it's all he's ever done.

Rockaoke! All the gear is setup. You get to sit in. Bring your axe. Drumsticks. Voice.

So the band plays, you sit in (even if one of them sits out), and you have Rockaoke!

That's how he fills in the Sunday to Wednesday slots when there's no work.

He tells me, once he got the gear hundreds of decent guitar players want to play. You just can't make money doing it. This way, only he gets paid. The guitar players have to know a standard repetoire they learn first.

Alas they start at 10 p.m. I'm in bed. No matter where I am, LOL.
Rockaoke..
that's an interesting concept.

it's kind of like combining open mic with a band that uses hired guns instead of regular members. The difference is that with Open Mic and karaoke, nobody gets paid. This way at least the guy who's clever enough to set it up can make some money.
In this case it's my friend Archie. He's single, a good drummer, and has a brain. He has never had a non music job, has been in at least 12 bands, 3 that have been around.

Like I said, any place that is over 250,000 probably has 2,000 or more guitar players and they all want in.

I think it's a cool concept but you need the group and a market.

The wife and I were out tonight and I liked the band, so it's 2:30, we saw a show, (Again I understood ZERO all night, ) then went to a local bar I used to go to 30 years ago, and the band played a lot of stuff I sort of know.

I'm undecided on all that. My hearing is crazy bad. Love yours, you have no idea. The lack of even a small part is a huge loss. The biggest thing I would like back is that. The lack of balance, the fact I have NO spit, the sore neck, the weird hair loss, that's nothing, my hearing is the thing I want back, and it's just gone for good.

And, now for something completely different.!!! I fart in your general direction!!!!
Quote:

Plus for my purposes, backing tracks for live duo performance (1) I'm going to play the solos myself and (2) to me the RTs sound too much like karaoke.

YMMV

That's funny, I feel the same about every full midi track I have heard! So I guess my Mileage Does Vary...

The old argument that "midi don't make a sound" is moot really, because a well created midi track played back thru the even the windows GM will sound well arranged & acceptable...but it will STILL sound like midi.

The best midi track I have ever heard from this forum is from Mac. His Steely Dan cover is tops...but it still sounds "midi"....there is no infliction of notes, no "feel" if I can use that term without getting crucified. What I mean is that even tho the ENTIRE track sounds great, there is no "feel" to each instrument of the whole.

The RT are the same tho...you have to "re-generate & re-generate" parts to get something both Different AND Acceptable at times...but the Sound of a Real Musician playing even the Same Part over & over 3 or 4 times across a whole song is more acceptable than a midi part IMHO.....
Quote:

<...snip...>

Notes, I have great respect for you as a person and as a musician. Please hear what I'm about to say in that context. Some of what's being said here doesn't jive with what's been said before

I seem to recall you saying on more than one occasion that you have been playing along with MP3s for quite some time. If there is a difference between the raw punch of a MIDI module and that of an audio file, both played through the same PA... by going to the MP3s, you've put yourself in the same place as the guy using real tracks. Once you've ended up with audio, the punch is in the mixing and mastering

There is a lot of difference between playing for a LP/Tape/CD/DVD than for playing for a live audience. I've done both, and what I play and the way I play my sax for a record is way different for the way I play my sax for a live audience.

There is a world of difference in how musicians approach playing in a studio. This is why so many great bands use studio musicians for their recordings while they play their own instruments live. Studio people know how to make a good recording, live people know how to play to an audience. Of course there are many who can change proverbial hats and do both.

Plus when recording for a CD/LP/Tape the recording engineer and later the mastering engineer use a good deal of compression, equalization and other FX to 'smooth out' (for lack of a better term) the recording. Everything seems to blend.

The main difference might be that I am not using any compression (other than the slight compression of a high bit rate mp3 file), another difference is that I have the parts mixed for a live performance, another difference is I have exaggerated the groove for live performance, another difference is I have different amounts of reverb and other FX on my MIDI instruments so that they don't blend and sound more separate (the acoustics of the room will take care of that) just like live musicians do, another difference is that I am recording the MIDI parts as if I might play them live, not as a studio session. I'm not sure as I let my ears be the judge as I play the music and play with the computer apps.

I do know that when I played my MIDI file of the Etta James version of "Shakey Ground" and followed it with the recording of Etta James singing it for a musician friend who happened to be there, his first comment was that my backing track has a lot more punch than the recording. He wasn't listening to evaluate our performance, he had never heard the song by Etta James before so after we rehearsed it, we played the Etta version for him.

Those musicians on the Etta James' "7 Year Itch" LP/CD are monsters, and I don't consider myself to be better than them by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, my backing track is an approximation, as close as I could get to the recording for the basic parts that I wanted to cover, leaving out parts for us to play live. The difference is that the recording was played, mixed and mastered for a recording, and my backing track was played, mixed and mastered for a live performance.

If I were playing to a karaoke track of the same song, it would sound like karaoke and wouldn't have the punch of my present backing track.

It's also why many of our audience members come up to us and tell us they appreciate the fact that we aren't doing karaoke like _________ (here they name some of our competitors). The audience members can tell the difference, even if they can't put their finger on why.

Again I'm not dissing RTs, I think they sound great, and I think PG Music has worked their usual magic with them. There are pros and cons to everything. If you have a car that gives you great performance, you have to sacrifice fuel efficiency. When using MIDI you sacrifice a little tone (depending on your synth) but you gain the ability to manipulate the sounds and therefore the expression of the track(s).

And for those of you who think MIDI cannot be as expressive as a 'real' instrument, remember virtually every modern synthesizer has MIDI 'under the hood'. Try telling Keith Emerson, Stevie Wonder, Rick Wakeman, and thousands of other synth players both on stage and in the studio that, and I think they will respectfully disagree.

I posted the solo of me playing synth guitar on this page http://www.nortonmusic.com/clips.html on a major guitar forum. I played it on a wind MIDI controller and a Yamaha VL70m synth module with the "turbo" chip in it. I asked the guitarists to evaluate my guitar playing, not telling them it was done on a synth. I got loads of compliments, one even told me that the guitar playing was "Jeff Beck like" (wow! that blew me away, I love Jeff's playing) and after the thread ran a few pages I admitted that I wasn't playing a guitar at all. The comments after that were still favorable with comments like "amazing", and only one person posted that there was something about it that sounded like it wasn't a real guitar, but he wasn't sure about that.

MIDI like any other instrument takes time and practice to learn. I didn't play the sax, flute, guitar, bass, drums, wind synth, or MIDI sequencer well the first time I picked each on of them up. It took practice and time to develop my hand/ear coordination. And while some people may think of it as work, I think of it as play. It is simply a matter of putting the time in it while you strive to improve your skills. The rest takes care of itself while you are playing. And I mean playing.

I call all these instruments toys until it's time to do my income taxes for the year, then they suddenly become tax deductible tools.

So for me, any compromise in tonal quality of MIDI tracks is more than compensated by the ability to manipulate the MIDI tracks, to play with them until I get something better than the original (at least to my ears). If I want that guitar to play a song specific lick at the end of the phrase, I can do it ... if I want to change a few bass notes to complement the rest of the song, I can do it ... if I want to create an accent and then a swell on the string line in a particular place, I can do it ... if I want to change that electric piano part to an 'attack clav', I can do it ... if I want to change those brass licks to piano or organ parts, I can do it ... if I want to change the 'leslie' speed on the organ from slow to fast on a particular chord, I can do it ... if I want to add a lot of chorus to that Rhodes part, I can do it ... if I want to scoop a sax note on the attack of a note, I can do it ... if I want to change that picked bass to a synth bass, I can do it ... if I want the entire 'band' to play a rhythmic 'kick', I can do it ... if I want to change the intro or the ending, I can do it ... if I want more snare drum on the 2nd and 4th beat of each measure, I can do it ... if I want a drum accent to help kick the attack of that horn line, I can do it ... the possibilities are only limited by my imagination and the MIDI tools at my disposal. I can't do any of that with pre-recorded loops.

I repeat: So for me, any compromise in tonal quality of MIDI tracks is more than compensated by the ability to manipulate the MIDI tracks. Of course, as always YMMV. There is more than one right way to make music.

I think that it would be a good idea for PG to make a realtrack to feature the one and only Bob "Notes" Norton.

musiclover
On this comparison page (RealTracks, software MIDI synths, hardware MIDI synths)....
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=347191&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

on request, we added a few more soft and hardware synths....

Software Roland Hypercanvas (TTS-1)
- note: this is available as a purchase from us (you buy Cakewalk Music Creator ($39), and it includes this great synth. http://www.pgmusic.com/musiccreator.features.htm

Software Coyote Forte $40
http://www.pgmusic.com/coyotefortedxi.htm

Hardware (older) Roland Sound Canvas SC-155

====================
Here's a list of all the synths (and RealTracks) demo'd in this link....

The MIDI synths are the
1. Roland VSC Software (Virtual Sound Canvas), (similar to MS GS WaveTable and Coyote WT Wavetable)
2. Roland Hypercanvas (TTS-1) software (better than the Virtual Sound Canvas, and compatible with all Windwos versions. (32 and 64 bit)
3. Coyote Forte Softsynth
4. Roland SD-20 Hardware Sound Canvas (newer module)
5. Roland SC-155 Hardware Sound Canvas (older module)
6. Ketron SD2 Hardware Module
Posted By: MyZone1958 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/10/12 11:57 PM
I have BIAB now for about a month .Those GM2 Sounds are terrible ,I don't know why anyone would put that junk on a product ,It sounds like a Toy Keyboard .It is the Real Tracks that got my Interest.If there is a song that sounds cheap I try to convert them to Real Styles or Tracks. It makes a big Difference.My next step will be to have hands free control over track control in Real Time. I'M Looking into Foot Switches to control my computer keyboard so that I can have access to muting and un muting Tracks. I see you can program solos in different parts of a song but in my opinion being able to use foot control for that is far better because you can drop solos or tracks in and out of a song any where and any time in the song .It feels less robotic and gives even more realistic sound to a song in Real Styles.Over all I've been having lots of fun so far with BIAB.

Regards,
Greg
Posted By: rharv Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 12:22 AM
Quote:

... Those GM2 Sounds are terrible ,I don't know why anyone would put that junk on a product , ..

You wanna know how I know you haven't really read the thread?

GM sounds can be very good, depends on the synth.
I swear I'm gonna make a GM song some time on a bunch of different synths just to prove the point. (oops Peter has already done that above)
I wrote a classical piece once, for just such a comparison to a friend. *Which* GM synth it was written on (and played on) made a huge difference. Then when it was customized to fit a certain sample set (GM or not) it was an even bigger difference.
Someone made a good analogy recently; MIDI is like a written score. It has all the info, but what each note sounds like is up to the sound source (be it musician or synth)

Again; MIDI has no sound, it's just a spec. So is GM and GM2 .. it can sound like a toy or an orchestra. It would be fun to take that classical piece and try it on the really nice orchestra softsynths, but it's low on budget priority right now.

That said, I agree the realtracks sure are nice and fun to work with.
Posted By: MyZone1958 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 01:16 AM
When I had my Yamaha psrs900 arranger it sounded good right out of the box that is because from the start they use only high quality sounds. I would agree GM can sound good if you spend time and money on a Synth to do that but don't you think Biab could have taken the time to have Taken care of that before they put it in the Box? But from a business stand point the less they put into a product the more they make so I understand that side of the fence also . So It all comes down to dollars and cents. but over all I like the product because the Real Styles are Ready to go.

Regards,
Greg
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 03:10 AM
Quote:

I would agree GM can sound good if you spend time and money on a Synth to do that but don't you think Biab could have taken the time to have Taken care of that before they put it in the Box? But from a business stand point the less they put into a product the more they make so I understand that side of the fence also . So It all comes down to dollars and cents. but over all I like the product because the Real Styles are Ready to go.

Regards,
Greg

are you suggesting that PGMusic should have shipped your software bundled with a $1,000 hardware synth?

A good system accommodates a wide variety of accessories. Each customer prefers different gear. PGMusic's job is to make sure that whatever the customer buys, it works with the system.

Likewise, you can get good food if you spend time and money on it. But When you buy a refrigerator, it doesn't come stocked with food. Each person fills it with the food he/she likes.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 03:39 AM
Elvis,

(Really? You're using a pic of Elvis for an avatar?)

Maybe you should read the ENTIRE thread before posting. PG doesn't create MIDI sounds. They create commands. How it sounds on your end is up to you and your synth.
Posted By: MyZone1958 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 04:28 PM
No what i'm suggesting is they could have built the Synth right into BIAB so the midi sounds would come out sounding right from the start. And I do understand that the price would have to be set higher and I'm sure there would be a market for that kind of unit don't you think ?

Regards,
Greg
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 05:11 PM
Quote:

No what i'm suggesting is they could have built the Synth right into BIAB so the midi sounds would come out sounding right from the start. And I do understand that the price would have to be set higher and I'm sure there would be a market for that kind of unit don't you think ?

I think there is a market for that, with many companies in the software/hardware synth business. PG music probably has decided that they can't compete and lets the users decide which way they want to go. PG Music probably pays for the license to distribute the soft synths they have in BIAB/RB now and then users can choose better ones depending on their needs. While I agree it would be nice for PG Music to include the "best" synth, it is hard to decide which one is the best for all users. Most users probably want to choose the one(s) they want to work with.

Kevin
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 05:13 PM
I agree, MIDI controlled synthesizers (including GM and GM2) can run the gambit from sounding like a kazoo to indistinguishable from the 'real thing' depending on how much money you spend on the synth.

I've read in trade magazines and seen in the DVD extras that entire movie soundtracks have been produced with MIDI controlled synths. Many commercial recordings have MIDI controlled synths on them. Virtually every modern synth player is playing a MIDI controlled synth. So obviously there is nothing wrong with MIDI sounds.

However most of us only have enough money to buy a decent to very good MIDI synth. A very good synth will not sound quite as 'real' as an audio loop.

For sound, loops are slightly better than the average good MIDI synth.advantage audio loops

On the other hand MIDI data is infinitely editable by the end user. You can do millions of things to a MIDI track that you cannot do to an audio loop.

For edit-ablity, MIDI tracks are much better than audio loops.advantage MIDI

- - - - - -

So which is better? MIDI tracks or Real Tracks??? Neither one.

It depends on what you want to do with it and who is going to be listening to it.

For me it's MIDI for the reasons I don't need to repeat here. For others it's the RTs. Still others will want to mix the two. There is more than one way to make music.

But I will repeat this, the title of this thread is "Unhappy with MIDI sounds" and of course that means "Unhappy with the poster's MIDI synthesizer sounds."

MIDI synths can sound so like the real thing that even recording engineers have been fooled. It depends on how much cash you have to spend and how good the player is.

Each user has to balance the ability to edit the tracks with the ability of the audience to distinguish between the tone of the synth and the track. We musicians listen much more critically than the general public. If you play a recording of two tenor sax players, John Coltrane and Stan Getz to the average listener, they would think they are playing different instruments. If you play the same two to a musician he/she will tell you one has better tone than the other. If you play the same two to a good sax player, he/she will tell you reasons why the two tenor sax tones are different.

Considering my audience, most of them care more about expression, song specific licks, entire band kicks (figures), and other things that make a song less generic than they do about the finer points of the snare drum or other comp instrument sounds. I am going have vocals and two more instruments added to the backing track (sax, guitar, wind synthesizer, tactile MIDI controller and/or flute). MIDI tracks give me that capability where the loops do not. But that's for me. There is nothing wrong with others doing a song entirely made of RTs. We each have our own 'formula' and our own priorities.

When I play the standard introduction to songs like "Old Time Rock And Roll", "Satin Doll", "Superstition", "Time In A Bottle", "Take The A Train", "In The Mood", "At Last", "Your Momma Don't Dance and Your Daddy Don't Rock And Roll", Dancing Queen", "Black Magic Woman", "Don't Be Cruel", "Dreams", "Soul Man", "Hold On I'm Comin'", "Spanish Eyes", Pretty Woman", "Rockin Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu", "California Dreaming", "Margaritaville", "Crocodile Rock", "Brick House", "Sweet Caroline", "Twist And Shout", "Just The Way You Are", "Conga", "Hot Hot Hot", "Midnight Hour", "Moonglow", "Sea Cruise", "Smooth Operator", and scores of other songs, the audience immediately recognizes them and gets up to dance or stays on the dance floor. When the proper entire band kicks, horn lines, and other important parts are played by the entire band, they feel it. As you can tell I play for a baby boomer audience (good pay, short hours, appreciative audience), but it would work for any audience. Especially with many of the more contemporary songs that could not even exist without their song-specific parts.

But again, these are my needs. And for my needs, MIDI tracks are superior.

For yours, RTs might be better.

For others, combining the best of both.

Just don't tell me that MIDI sounds bad when MIDI has no sound or I'll get up on my soap-box again. I don't do this to criticize but to help. If you understand the limitations and capabilities of the various tools in your BiaB tool box, you can use them wisely and make better music. And isn't that what it is all about?

Notes
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 07:08 PM
Quote:

It's already there, Greg. Look at the home page, they sell Music Creator so you can get Rolands TTS-1, the Coyote Forte DXi, both for $40, Garritan JABB for $169 and the Ketron SD2 for $399. What more do you want? Apple includes Garageband and the sounds are decent but it's not going to scare Ketron users or me with my new Kurzweil PC3. No other DAW I'm aware of includes a high quality softsynth with the program. Sonar includes the TTS-1 but that's hardly a high quality synth, Reaper? Cubase? Reason has it's own stuff but look at the cost.

Sounds are up to the user, you can simply run a midi cable from your keyboard and then Biab will play that. Where's the problem?

Bob
Posted By: MyZone1958 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 09:33 PM
Norton no need to get back up on the soap Box . Well exsplained lol :O) I can tell your heart is in music by the length of your response .

Regards,
Greg
Posted By: MyZone1958 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/11/12 09:46 PM
Bob I sold my keboard a while back or I would have used that with BIAB. You said that there is Music Creator.I Really don't understand how that hooks up with the midi in BIAB .Does each midi have to be worked on or does it just take over all the midi sounds that are all ready in biab ? Im well aware of the sounds in Ketron products but not sure if the good sound of ketron is going to be present in the Music Creator software ,What is your opinion on that ? As far as good sound I like the yamaha arranger sounds ,Roland arranger sounds ,Ketron .If Music creator sound any less quality then any of those I probley would not be happy with it. Thanks for your support :O)

Regards,
Greg
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 12:01 AM
Greg, you are really either missing the point here, or trying to fluster people. You keep saying the midi sounds in the software. Lets just get this back on track, midi has not sound it is information, that is sent to a synth (hardware or software) to make sounds. BiaB comes with the Coyote wavetable to make basic sounds from the midi data. You the user has the option then to upgrade to whatever synth will sound right for you. Some use the ketron hardware unit, others use the Roland TTS synth that comes bundled in Cakewalk music creator, others buy a different synth. You get to choose.

Music creator is a Recording studio software package similar to the RB or PT here at PG. PG chooses to sell it since it has the TTS synth in the package. If you want the good sounds of ketron in Music Creator, or RealBand, or BiaB, or Cubase you need to output the midi data to that hardware synth.

If you want top end synth sounds then buy ketron, or a Roland or Yamaha keyboards, or a rack mounted synth modules. I personally use Sampletank, a sample based software synth, along with TTS, and a couple more.
Posted By: carkins Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 01:07 AM
I use BIAB to rough out my songs then get it into Realband where the funwork begins.

Love and primarily use the Realtracks but these midi forums and the customizability of the midi "notes" have piqued my curiosity in this area.

I've ordered a Yamaha EZ 200 keyboard to experiment with midi.
Will be interested to see how it's synth compares to the Coyote Forte DXi I purchased from PG.

Am I correct in assuming that the Yamaha will show up as an option in the "Choose a synth" dialog in addition to my Coyote Forte DXi?

Also that each track can have a different synth if desired?

Any advice or links to a good basic midi tutorial will be greatly appreciated.

Carkins
Posted By: tuggeranongcc Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 01:31 AM
Been reading this thread for a while now, & am amazed at how passionate some of the responses are.

IMHO Notes has it right on the head - YMMV - use the software your way for your kind of music.

I personally use MIDI the same way that Notes does, & have been using it since Powertrax 2.1 came out That was such a long time ago). Lots of changes to software & equipment since then. For my single with backing gigs I find that MIDI lets me customise all parts of the backing track using a PC, & played through a decent Yamaha keyboard synth, gives me the backing that I like, & that my audience (generally) likes.

Don't really care how others use BIAB, or what they use it for. I know how & why I use it. That is what is important. You don't like MIDI, use RT, don't like RT, use MIDI. YMMV, we are all different.

BTW - totally agree with all the different reactions to midi sounds, cos there are none. The same MIDI information will be processed differently by all synths. You don't like the sound, don't blame the information, look at the equipment.

Just my 0.02c worth

Simon
Canberra Australia
Posted By: rharv Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 01:41 AM
Dunno if the EZ 200 has it's own MIDI driver or not (which would determine if it shows up in driver list or not). It may require a USB-MIDI adapter in which case it would show up as that driver.. it would likely show up in an area near the Forte DXi (since t is software and the Yamaha is hardware) but should be intuitive enough to figure out.

Yes; each track in RB can have its own synth .. up to 16 software synths and however many hardware synths you can figure out how to route with available putput ports. MIDI OUT port restriction has never been an insurmountable issue here, so basicly each track can have its own synth for all practical purposes.

If you want multiple hardware synths you may need multiple physical ports or learn how to be creative with the existing ports, but RB is up to task in this regard as long as hardware allows it.

RB simply sends the MIDI out to any available MIDI port (per track), be it software or hardware.
Posted By: tuggeranongcc Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 02:19 AM
I seem to recall that back in the old Windows 98 days, user could customise the midi mapper & send different MIDI channels to different synths/outputs. This is one feature that seems to have been lost in Windows - real pity, it was quite a useful feature. Sounds like RB can do this - this would make it a useful upgrade for me.

Simon
Canberra, Australia
Posted By: MyZone1958 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 03:11 AM
Thanks Robh and everyone else for the input .Something to look into in the future.

Regards,
Greg
Posted By: carkins Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 03:11 AM
Yes, I did have to order a USB/MIDI cable.
Excited to solve the mysteries of MIDI.
Thanks for the input.
Carkins
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 03:17 PM
Quote:

You said that there is Music Creator.I Really don't understand how that hooks up with the midi in BIAB .Does each midi have to be worked on or does it just take over all the midi sounds that are all ready in biab ?

Greg, I'm not getting on you at all because this stuff is confusing to a lot of people and you're trying but you're not getting it. Again you use the phrase "the midi sounds that are all ready in biab". THERE ARE NO MIDI SOUNDS ALL READY IN BIAB. Burn that into your brain. BIAB HAS NO SOUNDS. Get it?

Think of Biab like your PC keyboard you just used to type this post. What happens if you unplug your keyboard from the computer and then tried to type something? Absolutely nothing would happen. That's Biab. Biab has to be "plugged" into a synth or nothing happens. Both Biab and your PC keyboard are controllers that control what happens inside a computer. Think about that concept for a moment.

There are two types of synth, hardware and software. Both use your computer as a "switchboard". If it's a software synth then you "plug" Biab into it via software controls inside the program. If it's hardware then you still use the software controls but add a physical connection using a midi cable from your external synth to the computer. Once that hook up is made then Biab still controls it from within the program.

Now, move on to Music Creator. The TTS-1 is a decent GM software synth. Not great, nowhere near as good as the Ketron or my Kurzweil but decent. You can't buy the TTS-1 separately because Cakewalk only bundles it with their recording software like Sonar, Home Studio or MC. MC is the only one of those that's inexpensive enough to buy it just for the TTS-1. If someone wants to use it for recording also fine but we already have Real Band for that but still MC can do that too.

This is enough basic education for now, keep reading and asking questions.

Bob
Posted By: MyZone1958 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 03:29 PM
(1) Either you missed the point or you are flustering the people.

(2) Maybe you should read the ENTIRE thread before posting.

To answer the first question I would answer no I am not flustering the people but sometime miss the point.

To Further exsplain my self you all need to read this artical to fully understand me and why coming on this forum is a challenge for me as well as learning how to use a program like BIAB . I sometimes am feeling like I do not fit in to this forum and so to better understand me please read the artical below .I am not only doing this for me but for all those millions that go un herd and do not speak out. This may be your first time in understanding this so please read carefully . Thank you

Top 5 Emotional Difficulties of
People with Learning Disabilities

Click Home
People growing up with a learning disability often feel a sense of shame. For some, it is a great relief to receive the diagnosis while for others the label only serves to further stigmatize them. For many adults, especially older adults, an accurate diagnosis was unavailable. These individuals were frequently labeled as mentally retarded, written off as being unable to learn, and most passed through the school system without acquiring basic academic skills.
Sadly, these feelings of shame often cause the individual to hide their difficulties. Rather than risk being labeled as stupid or accused of being lazy, some adults deny their learning disability as a defense mechanism. Internalized negative labels of stupidity and incompetence usually result in a poor self concept and lack of confidence (Gerber, Ginsberg, & Reiff, 1992)
Some adults feel ashamed of the type of difficulties they are struggling to cope with such as basic literacy skills, slow processing, attention difficulties, chronic forgetfulness, organizational difficulties, etc.
The following myths about learning disabilities have perpetuated the general public’s negative perception about learning disabilities:
Myth #1
People with learning disabilities have below average intelligence and cannot learn.
Fact
People with learning disabilities have average to above average intelligence (Gerber. 1998). In fact, studies indicate that as many as 33% of students with LD are gifted (Baum, 1985; Brody & Mills, 1997; Jones, 1986). With proper recognition, intervention and lots of hard work, children and adults with learning disabilities can learn and succeed!
Myth #2
Learning disabilities are just an excuse for irresponsible, unmotivated or lazy people.
Fact
Learning disabilities are caused by neurological impairments not character flaws. In fact, the National Information Centre for Adults and Youth with Disabilities makes a point of saying that people with learning disabilities are not lazy or unmotivated (NICHCY , 2002).
Myth #3
Learning disabilities only affect children. Adults grow out of learning disabilities.
Fact
It is now known that LD continues throughout the individual’s lifespan and “may even intensify in adulthood as tasks and environmental demands change” (Michaels, 1994a). Sadly, many adults, especially older adults, have never been formally diagnosed with a learning disability. In fact, the majority of people with learning disabilities are not diagnosed until they reach adulthood (LDA, 1996)
Myth #4
Dyslexia and learning disability are the same thing.
Fact
Dyslexia is a type of learning disability. It is not a another term for learning disability. It is a specific language based disorder affecting a person’s ability to read, write and verbally express themselves. Unfortunately, careless use of the term has expanded it so that it has become, for some, an equivalent for "learning disability".
Myth #5
Learning disabilities are only academic in nature. They do not affect other areas of a person’s life.
Fact
Some people with learning disabilities have isolated difficulties in reading, writing or mathematics. However, most people with learning disabilities have more than one area of difficulty. Dr. Larry Silver asserts that "learning disabilities are life disabilities". He writes, “The same disabilities that interfere with reading, writing, and arithmetic also will interfere with sports and other activities, family life, and getting along with friends." (Silver, 1998)
Typically, students with LD have other major difficulties in one or more of the following areas:
• motor coordination
• time management
• attention
• organizational skills
• processing speed • Social skills needed to make friends and maintaining relationships
• emotional maturation
• verbal expression
• memory
Many adults with learning disabilities have difficulty in performing basic everyday living tasks such as shopping, budgeting, filling out a job application form or reading a recipe. They may also have difficulty with making friends and maintaining relationships. Vocational and job demands create additional challenges for young people with learning disabilities.
Myth #6
Adults with learning disabilities cannot succeed in higher education.
Fact
More and more adults with learning disabilities are going to college or university and succeeding (Gerber and Reiff 1994). With the proper accommodations and support, adults with learning disabilities can be successful at higher education.
2. Fear
Another emotional difficulty for adults with learning disabilities is fear. This emotion is often masked by anger or anxiety. Tapping into the fear behind the anger and/or the anxiety response is often the key for adults to cope with the emotional fallout of learning disabilities.
Feelings of fear may be related one or more of the following issues:
• fear of being found out
• fear of failure
• fear of judgment or criticism
• fear of rejection
Fear of Being Found Out
Many adults with learning disabilities live with fear of being found out. They develop coping strategies to hide their disability. For example, an adult who can hardly read might pretend to read a newspaper. Other adults may develop gregarious personalities to hide their difficulties or focus on other abilities that do not present learning barriers. Unfortunately some adults will have developed negative strategies such as quitting their job rather than risking the humiliation of being terminated because their learning disability makes it difficult for them to keep up with work demands.
The fear of being found out is particularly troublesome for many older adults who have never been diagnosed with a learning disability or those who received inappropriate support. Such adults were frequently misdiagnosed with mental retardation, inappropriately placed in programs for the mentally disabled, and/or stigmatized by teachers and classmates. In later life, these adults often return to learning through adult literacy programs in order make up for lost educational opportunities. Seeking help is a difficult step forward for these adults because it requires them to stop hiding their disability. The simple act of entering a classroom can be an anxiety producing experience for adults who have been wrongly labeled and/or mistreated by the educational system. For these adults, returning to a learning environment is truly an act of courage!
Low literacy skills and academic difficulties are not the only type of learning disabilities adults try to hide. Adults with social skill difficulties may live in constant fear of revealing social inadequacies. For example, an adult who has trouble understanding humour, may pretend to laugh at a joke even through they don’t understand it. They may also hide their social difficulties by appearing to be shy and withdrawn. On the other hand, hyperactive adults may cover up their attention difficulties by using a gregarious personality to entertain people.
Fear of Failure
The National Adult Literacy Survey, 1992, found that 58% of adult with self-reported learning disabilities lacked the basic functional reading and writing skills needed to experience job and academic success (Kirsch, 1993). Most of these adults have not graduated high school due to the failure of the school system to recognize and/or accommodate their learning disability. Needless to say, adult literacy programs are a second chance to learn the basic academic skills missed out in public school. As mentioned above, going back into an educational environment is often a fearful experience for adults with learning disabilities. One of the main reasons for this is the fear of failure. Many adults reason that, if they have failed before, what is to stop them failing again and, if they do fail again, then this failure must mean they, themselves, are failures.. The tendency for adults with learning disabilities to personalize failure (i.e. failure makes ME a failure) is perhaps the biggest self-esteem buster for adult learners. Educators need to be aware of these fears to help learner’s understand that failure does not make them a failure and making mistakes is a part of the learning process.
For most people, anxiety about failing is what motivates them to succeed, but for people with learning disabilities this anxiety can be paralyzing. Fear of failure may prevent adults with learning disabilities from taking on new learning opportunities. It might prevent them from participating in social activities, taking on a new job opportunity or enrolling in an adult education course.
One positive characteristic that often helps adults overcome their fear of failure is their ability to come up with innovative strategies to learn and solve problems. These strategies are often attributed to the “learned creativity” that many adults with learning disabilities develop in order to cope with the vocational , social and educational demands in their everyday lives. (Gerber, Ginsberg,& Reiff, 1992).
Fear of Ridicule
Adults with learning disabilities frequently fear the ridicule of others. Sadly, these fears often develop after the individual has been routinely ridiculed by teachers, classmates or even family members. The most crushing of these criticisms usually relates to a perceived lack of intelligence or unfair judgments about the person’s degree of motivation or ability to succeed. For example, comments such as “you’ll never amount to anything”, “you could do it if you only tried harder”, or the taunting of classmates about being “in the mental retard class” have enormous emotional effects on individuals with learning disabilities. For many of these adults, especially those with unidentified learning disabilities, these and other negative criticisms, continue to affect their emotional well-being into their adult years. It is not uncommon for adults to internalize the negative criticisms and view themselves as dumb, stupid, lazy, and/or incompetent. Such negative criticisms often fuel the fear adults with learning disabilities have about being found out.
Fear of Rejection
Adults with learning disabilities frequently fear rejection if they are not seen to be as capable as others. If they come from a middle to upper class family where academic achievement is a basic expectation for its members, fear of rejection may be a very real concern. They may also fear that their social skill deficits will preclude them from building meaningful relationships with others and may lead to social rejection. Prior experiences of rejection will likely intensify this sense of fear.
3. Environmental and Emotional Sensitivity
Environmental Sensitivities
Adults are often overwhelmed by too much environmental stimuli (e.g. background noise, more than one person talking at a time, side conversations, reading and listening at the same time). Many people with LD and ADD have specific sensitivities to their environment such as certain fabrics they cannot wear, foods they cannot tolerate, etc.
Emotional Sensitivity
Many adults with learning disabilities see themselves as more emotionally sensitive than other people In its most extreme form, high levels of emotional sensitivity are both a blessing and a weakness. The positive features of this trait helps adults with learning disabilities build meaningful relationships with others. For example, they are often very intuitive and in-tune with both their own and other people's emotions. Sometimes they are actually able to perceive other's thoughts and feelings. However, this strength also serves as weakness due to its propensity to overwhelm the individuals. Emotional difficulties occur when they are unable to cope with the onslaught of emotions they are feeling. Highly sensitive adults with LD may be moved to tears more easily or feel their own and other people’s pain more deeply. For example, Thomas West, writer of "The Minds Eye", not only gives a thorough explanation of Winston Churchill's learning disability, but also describes his sensitive nature. West details Churchill's tendency to break into tears quite easily" (West, 1997) even out in the public eye. He notes one incident in which Churchill was moved to tears after witnessing the devastating effects of a bomb.
This description of Churchill also serves to highlight the strong sense of justice that many adults with learning disabilities possess. Unfortunately, this sense of justice often serves as a double edged sword. On one hand, it is refreshing to behold the passion of many of these individuals in their fight to overcome injustice. While on the other hand, this very passion, when it crosses the line into aggression, can cause social rejection and/or emotional overload. Often the individual may be unaware that their behavior has turned aggressive. They only wish make their point known and have others understand it. This type of over reaction is not a purposeful attempt to hurt anybody. It is more likely to be caused by a difficulty with monitoring their emotions and consequent behavior.
4. Emotional Regulation
Difficulties with regulating emotions are common for highly sensitive adults with learning disabilities. Dr. Kay Walker, describes the connection between learning disabilities and self-regulation problems in her paper “Self Regulation and Sensory Processing for Learning, Attention and Attachment”. She asserts that self-regulation problems frequently occur in those with learning disabilities (Walker, 2000) In its most extreme form, individual may easily shift from one emotion to the next. Others may experience difficulty regulating impulsive thoughts or actions.
Fortunately, most adults have learned to handle their emotional sensitivity to avoid becoming overwhelmed or engaging in negative social interactions. Nevertheless, some adults may be so deeply affected that they become depressed or suffer from anxiety. A lack of school, job and/or social success will likely add to this emotional burden. Some adults with LD, especially those who have been ridiculed by their family members, teachers and/or peers, may be more apt to take criticism to heart because of their experiences and/or their ultra-sensitive nature. Emotional wounds from childhood and youth may cause heightened emotional responses to rejection. In turn, social anxiety and social phobia may result
5. Difficulty Adjusting to Change
Change is scary for everyone, but for people with learning disabilities and other neurological disabilities, change may be particularly difficult. Children with learning disabilities may prefer procedures to stay the same and have a hard time moving from one activity to another. Usually this difficulty becomes less of an issue as the child matures. However, adults with learning disabilities may still experience difficulty adjusting to change in more subtle ways . For example, some adults will have trouble moving from one work task to another without completely finishing the first task before moving on to the next one. Adults with learning disabilities are frequently described as inflexible when it comes to considering another person’s view point or a different way of doing something.
Adjustment to change is difficult for adults with LD because change brings the unexpected. In general, people with learning disabilities are less prepared for the unexpected. The unexpected may bring new learning hurdles, new job demands or new social challenges. Since all these areas can be affected by learning disabilities, it is no wonder why change can produce so much anxiety for adults with learning disabilities.
To avoid the tendency to blame the person for their lack of flexibility, it is important to understand the neurological basis for this difficulty with adjusting to change. With this said, through social skills practice, adults with learning disabilities can improve their ability to tolerate change. In addition, parents, instructors, and other professionals can help adults with learning disabilities by making transition processes easier through understanding and accommodating the adults’ needs

Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 03:53 PM
I use Master Tracks Pro as my MIDI sequencer of choice, but I cannot recommend it because when GVox bought it from the originators (Passport) they introduced bugs that they have not fixed in over 7 years. We're still waiting. I still use it because for me it's the easiest MIDI sequencer to use and I've learned how to get around most of the bugs. Like most modern synths, MTPro allows up to 960ppq and up to 16 different synthesizers without having to buy a MIDI Patch Bay.

I have a half dozen external synths and a couple of hardware samplers. One synth might have the best bass patch for a particular song, another might have the best Rear Pickup Tele sound for the clean guitar, another might have the best organ sound, and another the best sax sound. I can mix and match to my hearts content.

Some of the voices on my synths sound so real that it would take golden ears to tell them from a recording of the real thing. Others sound different, but that can be good as well. I have a brass patch that sounds much reedier than a real brass section, but in the right song it works better than a more traditional sounding brass section. I have a patch on my VL synth that is supposed to sound like an alto sax that was made out of glass -- I love that sound. I have a patch on my pre-GM Roland MT32 that is called "Doctor Solo" that sounds much like an analog synth lead patch, and I find that works for sequencing the background singers' parts in a song (I don't want real human voices because it will shout KARAOKE to the audience).

The ability to choose from thousands of virtual instruments gives me a huge sonic palette. This adds a lot of variety to my music so all the songs don't start sounding the same. I just worked up Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" for a Friday 13 party I'm doing this week. I used a patch called "Attack Clav" for the famous clav figure and then added another not so aggressive clav to run guitar-like lines to complement the "attack clav" and I'm really happy with the results. We tried it out at a party last Saturday and as soon as the introduction with that famous figure started, a half dozen ladies enthusiastically hit the dance floor.

When I'm all done sequencing my MIDI parts I'll put the output of the mixer into the input of PG Music's Power Tracks Pro Audio. For the money this is the best audio recording value I've ever seen. I'll record everything on PTRro and then make a WAV File, turn the WAV file into a high bit-rate, high quality mp3 file and take that to work.

I used to drag around all my synth modules to the gig, but I started thinking about what would happen if one failed on the gig. It's impractical to bring a duplicate road 10 space road rack filled with duplicate modules just in case one of them dies, but a spare computer with the mp3 files duplicated on it is no problem at all. That way if one computer dies, I switch to the spare (always up and running) by moving the USB->Audio interface to the backup computer and the audience doesn't know there was a problem. I've had to do this twice since I went computer in 2002.

If you are interested, I have a web page that explains how I make my backing tracks and how I use them on stage http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html - it's the sum total of the experience I've had doing a duo track gig since 1985 and the easiest method I've found to date.

I started using MIDI back in the 1980s, and it's amazing how the tools have grown. The 128 continuous controllers allow for a huge amount of expressiveness http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html -- and they aren't even all used yet. Plus there are controllers dedicated so that individual synth manufacturers can use them for custom controls.

When audio loops came around, I bought some loop software but it was frustrating. It was like a person who is skilled at creating oil paintings being forced to go back to 'paint by number' sets. The honeymoon of those great loops was over very quickly when I realized just how many things I couldn't do with the loops. Things that I've been doing for years that help me make my music both personal and more expressive.

The depth of what you can do with MIDI is incredible. But like any musical instrument, it isn't instant gratification. It takes time and practice to get good at it. But since the controls can be done in computer time rather than real time it's a lot easier than learning saxophone, piano or guitar. And it's fun to get over another hurdle, listen to the playback, and think to yourself, "I did that!"

Plus playing with MIDI has taught me a lot about musical arranging. I took music courses in school, but without an orchestra at my disposal, arranging was just theory - facts in my head. I couldn't afford to hire an orchestra to see how an idea of mine worked out. Now with MIDI I can try things out and listen to them in the privacy of my own home. I can even get daring and break the rules just to see what it sounds like, and if it sounds terrible, I'm the only one who knows.

MIDI gives me the creativity that I crave. I love listening to other people's music, but I love creating music even more.

The tools have grown phenomenally since I started using MIDI on my Atari/ST computer way back in the 80s. When I started using Band-in-a-Box it was on the Atari, when I started writing styles Peter Gannon generously offered to help me my convert the styles to the PC format so I could sell them to a broader market (thanks Peter). Then I got my first PC, running BiaB as a DOS program, before it went Windows and I bought a Mac Classic ][ running OS6 on Motorola chips. Back then BiaB was limited to 3 instruments, drums, bass and piano, and had virtually no features other than auto-accompaniment (it didn't even have any endings). In fact, the entire program fit on a floppy disk.

Now look at it. The good folks at PG Music have expanded the program so it is virtually the "Swiss army knife" of musical apps. There are plenty of features that I have absolutely no use for -- these are for other people to enjoy. And there are plenty of features that make my life easier and my music creations more expressive while it makes the process of making music easier.

As Zone1958 indicated, I'm passionate about my music. It's my life, it's my love and it's just not what I do for a living, being a musician is what I am.

I hope PG never abandons the core MIDI aspect of this great app, and I also hope they continue to develop the core MIDI functions so that people like myself who like to have ultimate control over the music we create can continue to have improved tools to do just that.

And as for those features that I don't use -- I'm glad they are there for others to enjoy.

Posted By: Le Miz Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 08:30 PM
This is a most remarkable thread!

Quote:

I'm passionate about my music. It's my life, it's my love and it's just not what I do for a living, being a musician is what I am.

I hope PG never abandons the core MIDI aspect of this great app, and I also hope they continue to develop the core MIDI functions so that people like myself who like to have ultimate control over the music we create can continue to have improved tools to do just that.

And as for those features that I don't use -- I'm glad they are there for others to enjoy.

This is me, also.

These are my thoughts, also.

Your quote is from a killer post (yet another killer post by you) in an amazing thread.

I clicked on the "How I make my backing tracks and how I use them on stage" link in your thread.

This is not my gig; it won't be my gig. But I not only bookmarked that, I saved it, in case you take it down. Anybody that asks me about that gig gets your link, along with "This guy's really successful. Here's his method. It would be a great starting point for you."

I was astonished at your generosity in posting that on the internet. Among other things, I realized that any / all of your competitors could read and apply that knowledge.

What specificity!

I laughed when I read, "If someone comes up and puts a hug sum of money on the keyboard and asks for a special request we know, I can slip that in as soon as it is appropriate to do so."

I wondered what a "huge" amount of money was! Then I read it a second time and saw the typo.

I laughed again. Cause it is a "hug" if you think about it.

It's a "hug" to the song and that couples' life experience with the song.

It's a "hug" to each other, by that couple.

It's a "hug" to the "Sophisticats" for the good time that couple is already having.

Yet another "insight" by Notes, the touch-typist!

My wife and I live over 1000 miles from your locale. I found myself wishing that we could attend one of your gigs.

I'm positive we would have fun!
Posted By: Le Miz Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/12/12 08:34 PM
Quote:

MIDI sounds can be fabulous, as good or better than "actual" for some instruments (especially bass, piano, drums). Particularly if you're recording your own tunes, able to play the parts on keyboards, yes, choose MIDI instruments, and you'll get great results. No hassles about setting up mics to record the instruments etc. ...

Peter Gannon's quote from earlier in this thread

describes me, exactly.

describes my experience, exactly.

Peter's comment on the quality of MIDI "sounds" and the recording process is 100% consistent with my experience. Note the "better than 'actual'" part.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/13/12 04:07 AM
Myzone,

Don't wonder if you fit in here... you fit in just fine. I've noticed that in every group, there is a "getting used to each other" stage, and it's no different here. We've all had to work at fitting in, and I dare say many of us have wondered if we fit in at some point. But this isn't about anything but music... and if you use PGMusic products to enjoy your music then you fit in here, period. There's no other qualification!

Welcome to the forum
Posted By: MyZone1958 Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/13/12 05:35 PM
Thank you Marr for your understanding .

Regards,
Greg
Since all the MIDI GURUS seem to be watching this forum thought I'd post here for some advice.

Just got a Yamaha EZ 200 MIDI keyboard, in my price range, very nice sounds and I think will be a good start for a non player like myself to get into MIDI.
Only drawback is the lack of a Pitch Bend Wheel.

I assume Pitch Bending can be done somehow in the Realband Piano Roll Window?

Any "simple" advice on how to accomplish this or direction to a tutorial will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Carkins
Quote:

Since all the MIDI GURUS seem to be watching this forum thought I'd post here for some advice.

Just got a Yamaha EZ 200 MIDI keyboard, in my price range, very nice sounds and I think will be a good start for a non player like myself to get into MIDI.
Only drawback is the lack of a Pitch Bend Wheel.

I assume Pitch Bending can be done somehow in the Realband Piano Roll Window?

Any "simple" advice on how to accomplish this or direction to a tutorial will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Carkins

Hi Carkins...
1) go to this thread and read it
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...;gonew=1#UNREAD

2) on the picture there is a drop-down list box that says CONTROL... using that same list box, there is another option called PITCH BEND

3) follow the instructions in the above thread to see how to change the amount of pitc bend
(you do it by changing the numbers in the lower pane of the piano roll)

hope this helps
Thanks Pat,
Much appreciated.
Carkins
Maybe I'm trying the wrong thing in the Realband Piano Roll.

What I would like to do is generate or play on my Yamaha keyboard (no Pitch Wheel),a midi guitar part and then be able to bend the notes (or "strings") ala BB King blues or using a whammy bar in certain parts.

I thought Pitch Bend was what I wanted but maybe not?
Don't have the USB/MIDI cord yet so have to use Realband to generate the MIDI for now.

Generated a Midi Solo (Barney K Blues Guitar) using a Distorted Midi Guitar Patch
Opened the Piano Roll, selected Pitch Bend from the View Edit.
Went to the bottom window and drew all sorts of curves (using Control+Shift pen tool )below a variety of notes.
On playing them back I could notice no bending effect?

Are the Midi Solos blocked from changing them?
Do I have to remove or zero out some number somewhere to allow the Pitch Bend to work or am I using the wrong Edit selection?
Do I need to use a variety of selections to get that string bending sound?

Thanks for your patience,
Carkins
Carkins,

what you did should have worked. I'm out of town at the moment, so I can't get to my music computer to verify what works. If somebody else doesn't reply, I'll get back to you on this sometime over the weekend.

Speaking from memory:
In pitch bend mode, there should be a straight line down the middle of the lower pane. That represents the nominal pitch. In order to make a bend, you need more than one click . One click will just change the pitch of the whole part and leave it there.

For a guitar-like pitch bend, you need a whole series of clicks that ends up forming a curve or line under the MIDI note you want to bend. Immediately after bending, you should click back on the nominal line to restore the pitch to the the "unbent" note.

To bend UP, you start at the nominal line, and make an arc of clicks ABOVE it, each click progressively higher than the one before it. How high you go depends on how much of a bend you want to simulate. Realistically, a guitar rarely bends more than a full step

Likewise, To bend DOWN, you start at the nominal line, and make an arc of clicks BELOW it, with each click progressively LOWER than the one before it.

Don't forget to click on the centerline after the bend, or the passage will sound out of key.

Make sure you are adding pitch bend to the right track. Even though you can see the MIDI notes from your guitar track, it is possible to be adding your pitch bends to a different channel. Look at the picture in the previous thread again... there are list boxes where you can select the track and channel. Make sure they both match the track and channel of your guitar track. If you did add it to the wrong place, easiest place to change it without doing it over is in the events list. Just edit the track/channel and leave the bends as-is.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/14/12 03:06 AM
Greg, I have a fair amount of understanding about learning disabilities because my long time lady is a retired teacher and she earned her Masters in children with learning disabilities and has written a book about it called Parents In Control. At the time she was one of three people taking that program in the entire state of California. She has become an unofficial consultant to a lot of parents in the neighborhood with small children. Like so many wannabe authors just like so many musicians she's not yet been able to publish it but I've read it and there's good stuff in it. If you would like please feel free to PM (private mail) me and I'll walk you through getting this set up. All you do is click on my username and at the bottom of the page that opens up click on "send a private message".

Bob
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/14/12 02:23 PM
Quote:

<...>I clicked on the "How I make my backing tracks and how I use them on stage" link in your thread.

This is not my gig; it won't be my gig. But I not only bookmarked that, I saved it, in case you take it down. Anybody that asks me about that gig gets your link, along with "This guy's really successful. Here's his method. It would be a great starting point for you."

I was astonished at your generosity in posting that on the internet. Among other things, I realized that any / all of your competitors could read and apply that knowledge.<...>

I come from a generation of sharing. Back when musicians met face to face and shared our secrets, it benefited everybody. I remember when I was 18 an older sax player teaching me how to get that buzz tone on the sax. In the 80s I remember asking another musician "What is a sequencer?". I could go on and on. The Internet hasn't changed that. It just expanded it. You can go to YouTube and get free guitar/sax/violin/theory/etc. lessons.

The best way to pay back the people who have been generous and shared information with me is to pass it on to others.

If it helps others the way others have helped me, it's a good thing.

And my competitors are free to use the info. Hopefully our vocal skills and my multi-instrumentalist skills on stage will still keep us one notch above the rest.

Carkins, the info Pat Marr related to you should be helpful. A little practice at that method and you should be able to make realistic guitar bends.

A few points about my observations about my own guitar playing. (1) I bend up more often than I bend down. (2) When I bend down, I usually do so on the first note of a phrase (3) when using vibrato with my fretting hand, the pitch goes from zero to higher pitch and never lower than zero (4) when using the whammy bar for vibrato it goes from zero to lower pitch and never higher than zero (although my guitar does have the option for a floating whammy bar, I have it locked in the traditional down only position).

Notes
Posted By: carkins Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/14/12 10:21 PM
Thanks Pat and Notes for the info.

Following your leads I was able to get the Pitch Bend to work rather crudely, but I'm sure that practice, practice, practice will eventually get me to the alley next to Carnegie Hall.

Is there a way to copy and paste bends I like to other notes in the Piano Roll or in some other Window?
I notice some of the notes in the "Barney K Blues Guitar Midi Solo" already have bends I'd like to duplicate.

Can these bend dynamics be saved to apply to future projects and if so where?

Also a WARNING (also mentioned by several others in another BIAB forum post below which I read too late)to those who are thinking of ordering the inexpensive USB/MIDI cord on amazon to connect their Yamaha midi keyboard to either Win XP or Win 7
DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY IT DOES NOT WORK!:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XTX09S/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Better off ordering one of those recommended in this recent BIAB post "Slightly OT: Where to Buy a USB-MIDI Cable That Works?"

Thanks again for all you do,
Carkins
Posted By: DrDan Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/14/12 11:55 PM
Quote:

To answer the first question I would answer no I am not flustering the people but sometime miss the point.

To Further explain my self...

Greg,
Way too much to read, but I did scan it and I do understand. We all have our crosses in life to bear and you should and will find proper respect and help here in the forum. Ask away and we will take good care of you here. Welcome to the forum.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/15/12 01:25 AM
Quote:

Is there a way to copy and paste bends I like to other notes in the Piano Roll or in some other Window?
Carkins

that's a good question... I've never tried it. Best way to see if it works would be to try it on a project that doesn't matter if it doesn't work as planned. If you look at the sample you like and try to recreate that same pattern in your song, it may work.

a couple of other ways to introduce string bends:

1) if you have a whammy pedal, you can run the output of the guitar track thru the whammy and record the whammy pedal's output to another audio channel. That way you could change the pitch in real time while listening to the music and you'd probably get a better sounding bend.

2) You can buy programmable MIDI pedals like the Roland EV-5 that can be used in place of the pitch wheel when you record your MIDI. The same pedal can be used to control volume, pitch, modulation, etc etc (not all at the same time though) In order to use it, you need at least one device in your MIDI chain that accepts a pedal.

3) use real tracks that include bends
Posted By: rharv Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/15/12 01:59 PM
Realband has a feature under Actions called "Realtime control' which is a virtual slider/pitchwheel option. Dunno if you noticed that, or if you are working in RB or BiaB ..

You should be able to edit-copy and use the data filter to copy just CC's you want, or any other data for that matter.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/15/12 02:33 PM
Quote:

Realband has a feature under Actions called "Realtime control' which is a virtual slider/pitchwheel option. Dunno if you noticed that, or if you are working in RB or BiaB ..

You should be able to edit-copy and use the data filter to copy just CC's you want, or any other data for that matter.

I never noticed that before... thanks.. I'll check it out

-------OLD DOG-O-METER---------
OLD TRICKS______/_NEW TRICKS
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/15/12 09:43 PM
I notice that the realtime control doesn't seem to change anything while I'm playing... but after the fact in piano roll mode, I can record over a track and add only the real time CC bends, and when I quit and save it, the bends appear in the piano roll. its actually a pretty good way to add pitch bends... much more intuitive than drawing them in with the mouse.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/16/12 03:02 PM
You also might try using a Pedal Controller http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

I've had a Footswitch Controller from MIDI Solutions for well over 10 years and it has operated flawlessly since the day I received it.

You could hook the MIDI outputs of your Keyboard and the Pedal Controller into the inputs of a MIDI Merger http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm and the output into your computer via a MIDI-USB interface.

Then you could use a pedal connected to your Pedal Controller to create Pitch Bends or any other continuous controller effect you want in real time while you are playing the keyboard.

Notes
Posted By: redguitars Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/16/12 03:35 PM
Hi all,
I tried the demo of Coyote Forte a long time ago and don't remember if I liked it that much. I bought the TTS-1, the cakewalk softsyth. I like it somewhat. I still always liked the VSC and the Real SC-55.

Can anyone post a link to anything they have recorded using the Coyote Forte DXI. I would love to hear the sound again before I pay the $40. They won't let me demo it a second time and I have no reference to what the sounds were like. Anything simple with Drums, Bass, Piano and strings would be great.

Thank you, Wayne,
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Unhappy with MIDI sounds - 01/17/12 03:42 AM
Quote:

Hi all,
I tried the demo of Coyote Forte a long time ago and don't remember if I liked it that much. I bought the TTS-1, the cakewalk softsyth. I like it somewhat. I still always liked the VSC and the Real SC-55.

Can anyone post a link to anything they have recorded using the Coyote Forte DXI. I would love to hear the sound again before I pay the $40. They won't let me demo it a second time and I have no reference to what the sounds were like. Anything simple with Drums, Bass, Piano and strings would be great.

Thank you, Wayne,

Here's a page Peter Gannon set up recently to show the differences between some of the commonly used synths

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=347191&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

You can hear the same song(s) played through the VSC and the forte (as well as some other heavy hitters)
© PG Music Forums