Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
G
GAJ52 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
If I have say four bars of notes in the Notation Window I wish to delete, how do I do this without deleting each note individually. In Realband you would just select the four bars by dragging the mouse over them and press Delete, this strangely does not work within BIAB ?

Glen

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Glen,

I usually go into Piano Roll mode, drag a rectangular area around the notes I want to delete and then hit "Delete".

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
G
GAJ52 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
Hi Noel

Thanks for the workaround, good idea.

Still be nice if this could work in the Notation Window as it does in Realband, to save changing windows.

Regards

Glen

Intel i7 3770K @ 3.50Ghz, 16GB Ram, Windows 10 64-bit, BIAB 2024 UltraPak, Cubase 13 Pro, Yamaha Genos 2 Arranger Keyboard.
Veteran
Veteran
There are two ways to delete notes in the notation window. You can right click on the note and select "delete"; or you can just hold the delete key down and mouse click on the note. Using the second method is fairly fast as you can just keep the delete key down while you click away.

Otherwise, I'm not a aware of a method to select a group of notes in notation window to process as a group.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
G
GAJ52 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
Quote:

Otherwise, I'm not a aware of a method to select a group of notes in notation window to process as a group.

Just try it in the notation window of Realband - so simple.

Hopefully PG Music will read this and we can have the same in BIAB.

Glen

Intel i7 3770K @ 3.50Ghz, 16GB Ram, Windows 10 64-bit, BIAB 2024 UltraPak, Cubase 13 Pro, Yamaha Genos 2 Arranger Keyboard.
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, I was aware of RealBand (and PowerTracks 2010 does this too, but not PowerTracks 12). However, I was referring to BIAB. I agree, it would be nice to be able to highlight a bunch of notes and delete in one fell swoop.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Still, holding down that DEL key and clicking is faster to do than it takes to tell you how to do it.

Give it a try.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Still, holding down that DEL key and clicking is faster to do than it takes to tell you how to do it.

As I found out the hard way, it's also safer.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
Apprentice
I use Editable Notation in BIAB all the time. As a Windows OS user it works just like you'd expect it should ...

Get into Editable Notation Mode ...

1. In the Chord Sheet window select the first bar.
2. Change to the Notation Window (NOT the Lead Sheet window).
3. Click on the Editable Notation Mode button.

Tell us what you want to get rid of ...

4. Highlight the things you wish to delete using standard Windows mouse highlighting with left mouse button. By the way, you can hold this to the right and highlight as many bars as you want or just set this when the next window pops up.

Now, if you want to remove the notation but leave the bars and chords ...

5a. Select Edit / Cut (or Control+X). Change your cut-criteria if you wish. Go to step-6.

Otherwise to delete everything highlighted including bars and chords ...

5b. Select Edit / Delete Bars.

6. Click the OK button.

Last edited by ikeinblackriver; 07/08/10 08:22 PM.

Ike
G
GAJ52 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
Hi Russell

Many thanks for your comments its much appreciated.

I think I should have entered this post in the Wish List section. I was trying to point out that normal windows convention does not apply in this case. In most Windows programs, selecting a range of data then pressing the 'Delete' key removes that data. This has been recognised in Realband and from version 2010 its been added, but for some strange reason not yet in BIAB.

I am aware that notes can be deleted individually that was mentioned in my first post, but as an example deleting 4 or 5 bars of 32nd notes this way is not very efficient. If a mistake is made and the wrong notes are deleted, just select Edit - Undo.

As it stands at the moment if you select just the 'notes' of several bars and press the delete key the program asks you if you want to delete the chords even though they were not selected. This has been fixed in Realband, just hoping it can be added to BIAB.

Glen

Veteran
Veteran
Glen,

Something else that you might like to try (for several bars of 1/32 notes) is to go to chord sheet view, drag the mouse over the several bars to select them, and then use Edit >> Erase from.. to.. and then select to erase the melody.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
G
GAJ52 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
Noel

For lots of notes in several bars, I think thats the best option so far. I have just tried it in the Notation page without going to the chord sheet, as you say select all the notes by dragging the mouse and use the 'Edit - Erase from' option, you then get a choice of only notes or chords even lyrics.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Glen

Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

I am aware that notes can be deleted individually that was mentioned in my first post, but as an example deleting 4 or 5 bars of 32nd notes this way is not very efficient.

Glen,

Please be assured that I'm not trying to 'spin' my own point of view here and that I don't mean to waste yours or anyone's time on this, but I honestly thought that your original concern was that you (being in Editable Notation Mode), didn't like to remove notes one note at a time. Therefore, I was focusing on the fact that you said you were in Editable Notation Mode and not necessarily on a Delete key that you would like to zap everything in one, "swoop." Realize that my answer would have been quite different had I understood that the focus of your question was about the Windows delete key and it's use (or misuse) in BIAB. As I'll explain here, from my own point of view, I actually prefer the way the delete key works inside Editable Notation mode.

Again, you mention that, "... deleting 4 or 5 bars of 32nd notes ... is not very efficient" and I can agree with you wholeheartedly. However, given the way you phrased the question, I did provide specific steps which, had they been tried (in Editable Notation Mode), would have resulted in solving the specific issue. I realize that many here prefer to use other editing methods (I've found that some don't care for EN mode at all and then there are even those users who clearly discourage it's use). However, for the sake of those who would like to use this mode of editing (and would like an answer to your original post as it pertains to Editable Notation), I'd like reply here if I may, as there is information about this feature that I've recently come to understand and this has given me a new appreciation for this mode of editing.

Quite simply, my original reply to Glen's question explains how a user (who, already being in "Editable Notation" mode), using standard Windows OS mouse techniques by highlighting a range of something (entire bars, parts of bars, etc.), can then use either Copy or Delete (either using the menus or by using shortcut keys to do the same), to then bring up a sub-menu providing the user with more options than simply deleting everything in one swoop.

Certainly I think most of us can appreciate the meaning or "intent" of the DELETE key and that it means different things to different users -- that it's function also depends a lot on "when" and "where" it's being used. Hitting DELETE and then expecting everything to be gone in one, "swoop" would do for one user in one set of circumstances, but perhaps the next user or the next time it was used ... not. Yes? So, I've come to believe that the program (in Editable Notation as Glen mentions), works just exactly as the designer intended.

To shed light on this I'd like to point out a small caveat that perhaps some BIAB users don't realized about Editable Notation Mode. Note that my comments here are based on the now current, BIAB version 2010.5. Also, I'm not personally aware that there are any changes in this version from past versions regarding Editable Notation Mode.

I have found that there is a difference in how the program behaves depending on if the user is viewing their song in the Chord-Sheet window or if they are viewing the Notation window AND they are also in Editable Notation Mode. Personally, I find that I don't use the Notation window that often UNLESS I'm using the Editable Notation feature.

While viewing a song in Chord-Sheet view, if the user selects a bar or range of bars and then presses the DELETE key, the program will respond by instantly removing the contents of the bars or "cells". Notice that in this case however, the bars / measures themselves remain intact. Alternatively, if the user presses CONTROL + X (the standard MS-Windows shortcut for the CUT menu option), the program responds by removing both the contents of the bars, as well as the bars themselves. Logically, one might think the reverse -- that DELETE should zap more data than a CUT (and maybe this is the point you were making Glen and my apologies if this was the case).

However, interestingly enough, the BIAB program responds differently when a user views a song in Notation view AND has pressed the button to enter EDITABLE NOTATION MODE (and this was really the intention of my first post). In this view / mode, if the user selects a bar or range of bars and then presses the DELETE key, nothing happens at all. However, if the user presses CONTROL + X (again, the shortcut for the CUT menu option), the program responds by displaying a sub-menu CUT MELODY OR SOLOIST. This sub-menu then provides you with a fine-tuned set of criteria for your selection (it will automatically CUT starting from a Chorus, Bar, Beat and then for a select duration of beats -- OR -- it will CUT between two selected note values at varying octaves on the staff). Note too that the field values here will conveniently default to the range that you initially highlighted before pressing the shortcut. Further, while in this view you can highlight an infinite number of notes, rests and/or measures and the window will scroll your score as you highlight using the mouse pointer.

Personally, I find that most times when I'm using Editable Notation Mode it's because I want to do more than just cut or delete something (or a whole range of something's). Usually whenever I purposely choose Editable Notation (over some other method for example), I choose it because I intend to add, change and/or remove some range of the notation (measures, notes, rests, etc.). And this mode provides me the means to instantly make changes to one or many parts of my notation in a view of my song that I'm used to seeing (my song as sheet music).

For me at least, I feel that the Editable Notation is more interactive (than say Staff Roll Notation Mode), as this view allows me to see things on a note-by-note basis (as I have been used to working with when I'm making alterations to paper sheet music for instance). I confess too however, that my bias is likely due to the fact that I'm not yet comfortable with Staff Roll mode -- and I'm still toying with this on and off. I'm reasonably certain too that my limited understanding of MIDI also has a bearing on my choice here.

While I can appreciate that the set of PG programs offers lots of different ways to skin a cat, it's been interesting to me to find that Editable Notation Mode doesn't seem to have a "following" here. Interestingly, I'm often advised to try this method, or try that menu item or even abandon BIAB altogether and use a different program, but actually (mostly by way of trial and error), I've become a fan of this Editable Notation feature. Especially when I feel more comfortable doing my edits on a note-by-note basis. I'll admit that in Editable Notation Mode, entering your notation takes some getting used to, as it's obvious that this application's been programmed (on purpose), to think ahead for the user but ultimately I think it's worth the price of study.

Last edited by ikeinblackriver; 07/10/10 01:04 AM.

Ike
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ike,

Thank you for the information. I hadn't realized that if I highlight notes in Editable Notation Mode and then use Edit >> Cut that I can delete multiple notes. That's a handy little tip.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
G
GAJ52 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
Russell

Thanks again for your help with this issue. I must apologise, I think I misinterpreted the usefulness of the 'Cut' option you spoke of.

Like you I am beginning to use the Notation Edit window a lot more, but for a different reason to yours. In my case I am a lousy musician with very poor keyboard skills and at the moment need to enter notes manually.

I am hoping I can use BIAB as a means to improve my musical knowledge and skills, and with the help of people like yourself I am slowly getting there.

Regards

Glen

Expert
Expert
Glen. I have entered notes in a number of different ways including the mouse. Yesterday, I finally decided to try using the QWERTY keyboard for the first time (See FAQ #35 and BIAB video entersong.avi). I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate that method was. I slowed the tempo a little for entering and then raised it back up. It did take me a little while to move the notes to the correct positions, but I think I'll get faster now that I understand what I'm doing. I did use a printed leadsheet to refer to. I entered the chords and selected the style first. It was worthwhile learning how to input notation via this method for me. FWIW.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,917
Posts738,829
Members38,616
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
NETH TANYANG, Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown
38,616 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 160