Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I'd like to be able to set up a jazz standard in BIAB with a mixture of live and BIAB-generated solos. For example:

Chorus 1: Clarinet (live) plays melody
Chorus 2: Clarinet (live) plays solo
Chorus 3: Tenor Sax (BIAB) plays solo
Chorus 4: Guitar (live) plays solo
Chorus 5: Clarinet plays melody

I think I've tried every combination of options, but can't get this to work.

Any suggestions? (TIA)

Veteran
Veteran
#1. Generate the Tenor Sax Real Track

#2. 1st Chorus . . . Right Click/Bar Setting/Mute the generated Tenor Sax Track at Bar #1, or whatever bar you want to start your "Live" Clarinet melody and play until 2nd chorus starts.

#3. 2nd Chorus . . . Play your "Live" Clarinet solo until 3rd Chorus begins.

#4. 3rd Chorus . . . Right Click/Bar Setting/Back to Normal on 1st bar of 3rd Chorus or where ever you wat the Tenor Sax to come in. Then Right Click/Bar Setting/Mute on last bar of 3rd Chorus or where ever you want the Tenor Sax to quit.

#5. 5th Chorus . . . Play your "Live" Guitar solo.

Hope this makes sense.

Later,

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
Thanks a million!

I'd never come across the Right-Click on the chord chart until now - I'd been looking at the soloist and melodist options, and found nothing that would do what I wanted.

I had seen references to "Bar Settings" elsewhere on the forum and thought this feature might be my salvation, but couldn't find "Bar Settings" in the Help file.

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I've been working away with solos, as described above, and have found a small problem which I haven't been able to work around.

Solos generated and frozen in this way are often truncated - missing a few lead-in notes before the first chord of the solo, or dying in mid-phrase at the end.

It doesn't seem to be possible to get the solos generated only for the range of bars I've selected - if there's a solo track at all it will be generated for the whole piece, and then selectively suppressed according to Bar Settings.

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I assume you are referring to RT Solos. In the Solo Window select "Custom" to select the number of complete bars over which to generate. There is no provision for leadins. Unlike with Midi Solos, you are unable to generate more than one RT solo on the Soloist track at a time, although the RealCharts for successive solos over a different range remain. To ensure that there is no abrupt ending for a musical phrase choose say an additional bar and then delete out what you don't need. Again you can repeat the generation until satisfied. If you use RealBand, then this will give you maximum flexibility.

R
Expert
Expert
R
In my experience, the Select Soloist dialog is the only way to get the lead-in you describe. The Bar Settings don't take phrasing into consideration. It just is on or off. Using the Custom button, as LynB described, will also allow you to extend the solo an extra beat. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

I don't think RealBand gives you this flexibility. The lead-in and extra bar are not options. I use BIAB to create these type of solos and export them to RB.

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I've just managed to get the result I was looking for, thanks to your help!

I was surprised to see that the solo is generated for the whole song, but is only played for the custom set of bars - it makes it hard to work out what's going on when what you see ISN'T what you get!

I find the existence of multiple incompletely overlapping ways of doing the same task a frustrating part of BIAB, but I suppose it's all related to the long evolution of this product and the need to keep the old method of doing things while introducing new ones to cope with features such as RealTracks.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

In my experience, the Select Soloist dialog is the only way to get the lead-in you describe. The Bar Settings don't take phrasing into consideration. It just is on or off. Using the Custom button, as LynB described, will also allow you to extend the solo an extra beat. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

I don't think RealBand gives you this flexibility. The lead-in and extra bar are not options. I use BIAB to create these type of solos and export them to RB.

I do basically the same thing that you're doing except I only use BIAB solos as a means to get the creative juices going for the improvisation pieces in my score. I might then modify a solo here and there and then print the lead sheet for my soloists.

Obviously there's been some excellent responses here and I'd like to add one thing to the above suggestion ... If for some reason you're not entirely pleased with the computer-generated result you can go into the Notation Window (Ctrl W), click on the Editable Notation Mode button and add/change whatever bars you like.

Ike
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

I find the existence of multiple incompletely overlapping ways of doing the same task a frustrating part of BIAB, but I suppose it's all related to the long evolution of this product and the need to keep the old method of doing things while introducing new ones to cope with features such as RealTracks.

I've only been using BIAB for a short while and I agree with your perception except that a bit later down the road you're likely to appreciate the feature methods that overlap as you say. I can relate that this can be strangely frustrating for people just starting to use the program and especially when you get a bunch of responses to your questions that seem to accomplish the same thing but then you realize that the procedures are totally different from one answer to the next.

When you think about it, basically all applications today are designed in that way (i.e. use one or more menu options for the same thing, press Ctrl + this or Alt + that). So just pick a flavor and run with it -- I don't think it's necessarily a BIAB-thing, rather I think it's an Application-designed-for-the-masses thing where the idea is to satisfy the likes of many different types of users out there -- which we know can't be done without dissatisfying some folks too.

And yes, you wouldn't dare take a keystroke or menu option away as it would definitely cause a stir in the community ... As many here can attest, some are so bold as to rush the forum and scream, "there's a bug" and then the "bug post" itself becomes quite an emotional discussion to say the least.

Good luck to you. BIAB is a great product and weeks and months from now you'll find so many uses for it ... then you'll come to appreciate why it's become such an icon in the industry.

Ike
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

That is a very good explanation!

--Mac

Productor Musical
Productor Musical
I don't know if this will help exactly. In case of undesirable overlapping/truncated note o phrase, as far as possible I try to fix it inside BiaB in the usual way and also following some tips exposed here. If I get not satisfied with results, there is Plan B; I export all to RealBand, it let me work in the pure audio realm over my RealTracks. Using cut and paste, reverb tails, blending and other specific audio edition techniques I finally fix note overlaping. In that way I even can create a polished stereo audio track with one or more RealTRacks instruments, let us say for example sax, harmonica and trumpet solos, render it to wav/wma file then export it back to BiaB and place in its audio stereo track. Of course I take such procedure only after I am musically happy with my RealTRacks in BiaB. I proceeded same way in my song Latin Cowboy in order to fix some minimal audio flaws from overlapping. The trade tools were RealBand and Cubase.

/ Carlos ----

Veteran
Veteran
IMHO, of all the ideas mentioned, Carlos' is the quickest way to get exactly what you want and still use it in BIAB for live performances

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,919
Posts738,851
Members38,616
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
NETH TANYANG, Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown
38,616 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158