Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40214 10/21/09 08:21 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
The post I put in yesterday regarding the RealBooks software which I was trying to ascertain whether the BIAB files were worthy among other things has vanished. There's no note stating ,if it has been moved to a more appropriate sub-forum etc. It seems to have been deleted and I have no clue why or to where it is lives now if indeed it still exists.

Anyhow, not sure what the moderation policy is here but whatever happened whether thru some admin explicit action or some weird software issue is not typical.

This is what I get when I click on the generated email notification of a reply to my post:

http://screencast.com/t/tsNy8zQb

I believe that this was actually Matt's reply which was there yesterday but for some reason is not accessible now. BTW, I see the same behavior from both Google Chrome and Opera.

Do you all encounter the same page ?

Here's the link:

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=241815

thanks

Charles A. Monteiro
Monteiro's Fusion site
Veteran
Veteran
In this particular case one may assume that PG Music tries to keep its forums free of copyright infringing links.

In general it sure would be good practice to let any active member of the forum with 200 plus postings know, why his or her post was cancelled -> it's as simple as a brief PM.

Martin
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ok, I guess I'll agree on both points.

But I don't understand where the copyright infringements are. The RealBook has been around for ages. I guess I never assumed that the lead sheets were pirated. Am I to think that also the accompanying music is pirated ? How about the BIAB files? Is somebody's midi transcribing of music legally considered an infringement of intellectual property ?

I'm very much anti-piracy i.e. being a software developer by day and a "wanna be" music composer/producer by nite. So this makes me pretty unhappy since I did go ahead and purchase the software last nite. I guess I was being naive.

Anyhow, "not good".

Finally, I will agree with your last point. I'm a member of a multitude of techie and music related forums. I also happen to manage a couple forums myself and making a post just "vanish" without notice is not in my opinion typical nor do I think it good practice as you allude. Not that I'm really sore about that , I was just "mystified".

thanks

Charles A. Monteiro
Monteiro's Fusion site
Veteran
Veteran
Because my name was dropped here (no problem, Charles), all my reply said was that I recalled people had good things to say about the package you inquired about. If PG Music knows that the songs contain melodies, were not licensed and thus infringe copyrights, this is something I did not know and I would thus support the deletion of the thread, but an explanation would help. All we can do now is speculate.

However, please remember that other threads have disappeared that (in my observation) would not have been controversial about the forum rules. Again, it may just be buggy forum software.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Damn Straight!!

I'm from Chi-Town, and I know what happened....
Your post grew concrete legs and got dropped somewhere offshore.

I spent a good fifteen minutes looking to respond to it...I would have been second in line. As a musician who has purchased all sorts of Real Books for years and years...as part of a legion of union musicians who have done just that...THIS ACTION UPSETS ME...TO DO IT SERRUPTICIOUSLY..HMMMM!

I don't appreciate the "holier than thou" gut-reaction to dumping a post for a guy who has checked out...and been checked out...by all the copywrite hoods that have helped close down any number of legitimate establishments! Geeze!!

I have been a customer of many "sources"....including this one. It is truly a wondrous compilation of original mp3's, charts, and they work for "educational" purposes as well as for "other" purposes.

Blake just came out with a Bill Evans compendium that I WOULD JUST LOVE to have....for just $49 bucks!!!! What a great "product" , along with his idea of a year or two ago, to come out with an in-depth computer resource for Charlie Parker's best music and charts, again mp3's!!!.....

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
sorry, I didn't mean to drop your name as some sort of referral for the software in question i.e. more like for a witness that indeed I had made the post and was not going insane. Again, not sore about it, just find it odd. As far as I'm concerned its a close issue for me. I got the info that I needed.

thanks

Charles A. Monteiro
Monteiro's Fusion site
Veteran
Veteran
Like the M&Ms said, "It DID exist".

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
There are interesting -> discussions about the product. The DRM stuff and 'key' handling appear irritating, in addition to murky info on legal issues ...

Martin
Expert
Expert
Hi Charles

I have heard that the latest version 4 works far better than the previous versions which were difficult

The BIAB and Audio files are really just a collection of those that can be found on the internet

The main software appears to have leadsheets in C/Bb/Eb and one or two versions of original audio in Mp3 form

It sounds rather dated and as I have all the genuine and legal RealBooks (no underground fake books)- then it is not needed here

jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Here's what I think:

*IF a forum moderator is actively deleting posts for legal reasons, said moderator should inform us of the act.

A simple, "Post removed for violation of forum rules" or the like as a placeholder would be nice.

I have had a few posts disappear in the past, not even remotely related to copyright infringement possibilites, that could have been due to buggy software or it could have been removed, don't know.

I hope Peter G checks in on this one...

--Mac

Mac #40224 10/21/09 04:15 PM
Veteran
Veteran
+1

Expert
Expert
Ahh...TalkBass.....

I enjoy that site tremendously, being an avid guitar man....straight or bass-guitar. The "discussion" there is generally much ado about nuthin' by a bunch of naysayeers that kick about dingles/dongles/and keys, quality of this or that. But 90% are hiding behind screen-names or not legit customers of this guy. Sorry state of affairs when we have to point to this low-life thread as meaningful in any way.
Don't even know why Blake took the time to waste his "breath" on these cats who seem to be screaming out from a black hole.
The bottom line...one of the best bang for the buck products a thinking musician could own. Nuff said, and I copyright that right now!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Good point, I'll ask the webmaster to send a inbox PM to someone if they delete a post. (unless it looks like a 'bot' spam post "how to make videos from youtube using our amazing software" , in which case they won't send an inbox.)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

As a musician who has purchased all sorts of Real Books for years and years...as part of a legion of union musicians who have done just that...THIS ACTION UPSETS ME...TO DO IT SERRUPTICIOUSLY..HMMMM!

Dude, I'm an old LA Local 47 guy. It seems like everybody in LA has those books, I hear that most of the players all know the two small hole in the wall stores in the area who sell them under the table as well as the guys who can get you the CD, of course I've never actually seen them but I've sure heard about them. Why? Because they're ILLEGAL. Those books cost about $35 each and have about 450 songs depending on the edition. A commercial songbook with royalties paid at a big Hollywood music store is about the same price for maybe 20 tunes. Do I need to paint you a picture?
This is a big well known high profile commercial site. Anything with melodies is what again? All together now in harmony.... 5-6-7-8 IL-LE-GAL.
What do you expect Peter to do? I suppose sending you a PM would be nice but remember this stuff is ILLEGAL. Got it?

A union guy from your neck of the woods should know better.

Of course this is all hearsay, things I've picked up from different players over the years. I would never have something tainted like that in my possession. As for me personally I have everything memorized, don't need no stinkin Real Books or whatever you called them.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

... know the two small hole in the wall stores

It's on Amazon ...

Martin
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
There is now also a legal Realbook series, royalties/licensing paid.

Hal Leonard publishing releases that one.

It should state so on the thing somewhere.

--Mac

Mac #40230 10/22/09 05:56 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Was referring to the 'realbook software' thang.

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
Used to be guys from here drove the 120 miles to Toronto and you got the thing in a book store in a plain brown wrapper. They had to start somewhere. If I stack up my music books in one pile the ceiling would not be high enough. I'm not suggesting I'm a prude, but, if I am playing it I have it in a legit book. And the rooms I play pay Socan fees. So if it's in band in a box, it's the chords only, and I have the original. The only time the melody is there is so I can transpose it to Basso Profundo. I then print it, note the book and page it's on in my music book collection, and go from there.

As for the people who bought the book, you have to start somewhere. I won't throw stones.

I'm happy with my method, and not prepared to pass judgment on anyone else....

Now that I'm retired music is 80 percent of my life...I think the other 20 percent is taking pills and going to the doctor LOL.
Amazon just dropped off the latest CD, the very best of Vera Lynn. Took 6 weeks to get it. That ought to occupy me for a while. I bet $100 I end up at the piano playing along to White Cliffs of Dover...

John Conley
Musica est vita
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I was taught by the old school gigging pros that charts of any kind, Realbook included, were fine for practicing at home, but when and if you attempted to join them on the stage "downtown" at the gig -- you'd better be ready to play the song without the book. I'm taling combo work and not bigband, of course.

Am recalling this one old practitioner of the art who used to say, "You gotta know it way down here" (patting his heart).

That kind of memorization changes everything, actually. Improvisation takes on a completely different aspect once you "KNOW" the target tune inside and out like that.

The memory recall of those performers was phenomenal, too. And key signature did not bother them at all. If the singer wanted Cottontail to be in the key of B Major -- that is what they played.

Work towards not needing the chart onstage.

--Mac

Mac #40233 10/22/09 06:52 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Good advice for new musicians. Some of us duffers have to accept the limitations. I should have learned to play by ear, never did. Was too busy with 5 kids, 2 jobs, and lots of other stuff.

I set 3 priorities every day. If I had the chance to do it over I'd have dropped the 3 times weekly fire department hockey, saved my teeth, and practiced music. Or not...

Today
Clean windows 2 hours.
Groceries 1 hour.
White Cliffs of Dover backing track.
Pick my wife up downtown when she gets off work.

Practice 'Severn Suite' (Elgar) with my wife for our Brass Band concert in November. That piece is 1/2 fun and 1/2 torture. Elgar, love him or hate him.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,948
Posts739,276
Members38,624
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Nplus, natescape, JDC, peppe311, Jean-Pascal
38,624 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 156