Can someone education me on how they assign a channel to an instrument?

I read in the REALBAND manual "In order for the recording of mixer moves to work correctly for MIDI tracks, please make sure each track has its own unique MIDI channel in the Tracks window. Also, keep in mind that mixer moves will only be recorded onto the current track, so you can only record mixer moves for one track at a time."

Okay that sort of makes sense to me. No two instruments should be assigned to the same channel (CH). I found out that the DRUMS use CH 10 and NO other instrument should be assigned to CH 10. But what about the other instruments? What channels should they be assigned to? I found out that some real squirrelly things can happen if two MIDI instruments share the same channel.

What I have been doing is assigning the instrument track number to the channel. For example: If the BASS Track is on Track 1, I assigned it to Channel 1, Guitar = TRK 2, then I assigned it to Channel 2, etc. I make sure none of the instruments are assigned to the DRUMS channel #10.
Is this correct?

What do you folks do as far as assigning channels to instruments?...if anything....

Oh and I am using MIDI instruments here should that be a need to know.

Just need some in-site here.

Thank you

Mark