Quote:

... Now, here's the real question. Which term did the OP mean? Did he use the term "mastering" correctly, or did he mean mixing? -- Gary

I just re-read that OP and I guess I missed what he was wanting to do. I believe he has the terminology right -- but there is nothing out there (that I know of) that will do what he wants. You have to go the other way -- tweak and tweak until you get a sound close to those commercial records.

Here's a quick interesting article on pre-mastering tips: http://passivepromotion.com/a-mastering-engineers-guide-to-final-mixdown Note that he does talk about "mastering" being used to allow consistent playback on many systems. However, if you don't have that part right in the "mix", you have just made the mastering engineer's job a lot harder (and more expensive if you want it to sound great).

Of course, since you don't have the same expensive listening room that the mastering engineer has, you can only get so close to a final CD that translates excellently everywhere.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud