Quote:

(2) this guy sounds VERY good
(3) Making $15 more per guy becomes very important when you are supporting a family

You said he was tired of playing in a 3 piece. Well, adding another guy would make it a 4 piece, wouldn't it? How would adding a piece who can add piano, organ, strings, horns, background vocals and another player who can solo become redundant after a couple of songs?

If they are making a living supporting a family in a 3 piece band, they better be ZZ Top or Rush.

No matter who the guitar player is and how good he is, if the solo falls on him every song, it is boring. With no rhythm instrument, it sounds empty. We have all been around this long enough to know that. ZZ Top in the studio and ZZ Top live are 2 different bands when you strip out the overdubs that they can do in the studio but not live.

The key is that you stated that he was tired of playing in a 3 piece. Well, then don't. A great guitar player, as you describe him to be, will be in demand for a better band who works more and gets bigger money. Is he happy sitting where he is? You said no.

Remember, being the best you know doesn't make anybody great. The best guitar player I know plays nationally (with Taylor Swift) but there are probably still better. I just don't know them. There may be a guy in a cabin in Oregon that blows Paul away.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.