Mainstream US media outlets has confirmed the report which came yesterday via the Facebook page of Donald Byrd 's nephew, the Swiss pianist Alex Bugnon (the biography page which had that fact has crashed), and which has been widely reproduced elsewhere, that the massively influential trumpeter and educator, one of those indispensable figures who unites generations through music, had died on Monday. Here is the post:

"Donald passed away Monday in Delaware, where he lived. His funeral will be held in Detroit today. I have no more patience for this unnecessary shroud of secrecy placed over his death by certain members of his immediate family( NOT His children! We are very tight! ) who are "handling" it. I'm letting y'all know, so spread it as far as you can! Let's remember Donald as a one of a kind pioneer of the trumpet, of the many styles of music he took on, of music education. In sum, Donald was an avid, eternal student of music, until his death. That's what I try to be, everyday!! Rest in peace, uncle!

Ditto from GDaddy....Bop Jazz...this was "my" era of growing up with the greates jazz cats, and Byrd was a breathtaking trumpeter and educator.

Later, man!!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3