Ballads can handle more than an uptempo number, generally, but there is really no hard and fast rule to that; as a lot of the rock of the 50's, ballad or uptempo; were smothered in verb, **tip for verb: If the verb has a highpass filter cut around 250hz. For a ballad use a hall or chamber verb, the decay for a ballad runs from 2-4ms, predelay set to tempo of song or in chopped up increments rounded up. example 85 tempo might divide in 4th and set predelay to 22ms, half 43ms etc. settings below the songs tempo up to the tempo will give a fuller sound, much like doubling. uptempo numbers use a plate, room or a bright chamber with a .1 to .5ms decay, predelay higher 100-250ms. Once again set your predelay by the tempo of the song. Once again these are just tips, no hard and fast rule. It is really the way you want the song to sound. One reason not to go overboard with the reverb though is when the song is mastered the compressors can play havoc on the sound. Also watch eqing after adding reverb as this can cause very unpleasant sounds. Hope this is helpful!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.