Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All conversations eventually sink to the bottom of the page and vanish. The absolute BEST way to make a thread you don't like disappear is simply to not reply

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW...polite discussion is a skill.

All skills require practice.

By forbidding any scenario in which people might develop better discussion skills, it is virtually guaranteed that future discussions will be messy.

The problem is not topic-based.. it is a skills-based. Therefore, forbidding controversial topics actually CAUSES the core problem, even though it temporarily appears to remove an uncomfortable symptom

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
The Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny are just as real as god is. So is the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

No one has even a smidgen of proof for any of them.

[...]

Bob, with this statement you have engaged in religious discussion. You have outlined your religious beliefs and are sharing them with others.

Should we have the post deleted?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
>>>...It would be much simpler if we left the "Boogie Man..."...>>>

Change that to "Boogie-Woogie Man" and its a music-related!

BAM! Problem solved!

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
It is interesting to me that the word, "religion" is always used when this sort of argument crops up on internet forums.

Quote:

Below is a list of religions from many different cultures and countries.

1. Nestorianism

2. Oriental Orthodoxy (Monophysitism)

3. Roman Catholicism

4. Anabaptists

5. Lutherans

6. Methodists

7. Pentecostals

8. Reformed

9. Presbyterianism

10. Mormonism

11. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

12. Anglican

13. Baptists

14. Society of Friends (Quakers)

15. Islam

16. Seventh Day Adventist

17. Black Hebrews

18. Buddists

19. Samaritans

20. Rastafarians

21. Jehovah's Witness

22. Adventism

23. Nation of Islam

24. Ahmadiyya

25. Shiite

26. Wahhabi

27. Alawites

28. Shafi'i

29. Zaiddiyah

30. Maliki

31. Deobandi

32. Sufism

33. Orthodox Judaism

34. Modern Orthodox Judaism

35. Conservative Judaism (Masorti)

36. Modern Orthodox Judaism

37. Hassidic Judaism

38. Karaite Judaism

39. Reconstructionist Judaism

40. Nazarenes

41. Crypto Jews

42. Hinduism

43. Druidry (Celtic Religion)

44. Greek mythology

45. Babylonian and Assyrian religion

46. Chinese mythology

47. Aztec mythology

48. Nauruan indigenous religion

49. Church of All Worlds

50. Judeo-Paganism

51. Orisha religions

52. Kongo religions

53. Wicca

54. Faery Wicca

55. Confucianism

56. Satanism

57. Law of One

58. Universal Life Church

59. Church of the Universe (marijuana sacrament)

60. Native American Church

61. Candomble

62. Transcendental Meditation

63. Hare Krishna

64. Purva mimamsa

65. Vedanta Society

66. Dances of Universal Peace

67. Unification Church

68. Holiness movement

69. Friends of the Western Buddhist Order

70. Johrei or Reiki

71. Hoa Hao

72. Golden Dawn

73. Spiritualism

74. Argenteum Astrum

75. Typhonian Ordo Templi Orientis

76. Church of Jesus Christ Christian

77. Church of Scientology

78. Church Universal and Triumphant

79. Process Church of the Final Judgement

80. Kardecist Spiritism

The interesting thing to me is that, participating in online forums since before there was an internet (yes, darpa and arpanet, early bb services) not once have I ever seen the argument against posting about beliefs used to stop any other religion's viewpoint than Christianity's.

I've never seen trolls come out of the woodwork posting snarky and personal attack drive-by crap when the conversation turned to ANY belief other than the belief in Christ.

And Christianity, by its own biblical definition, is not a religion. It is a person.

Bobc seems to be campaigning for some sort of ruling from the powers that be to outlaw any mention of Christ, and hiding behind the "religion" label for that, which is not a truthful situation.

There is a large and stinky elephant in this room.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Don't forget these:

Quote:

81. capoists

82. barrechordians

83. autotunists

84. springsteenions

85. Snarkisists

86. malaromapachydermies

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
Bobc seems to be campaigning for some sort of ruling from the powers that be to outlaw any mention of Christ, and hiding behind the "religion" label for that, which is not a truthful situation.

That's not true Mac. If you'll notice, I also mentioned Islam, Hinduism, Pastafarianism, etc.

Christianity is the religion I grew up with so I'm far more familiar with it than the others so it's only natural that my focus would be more on that.

I had to study the basic tenets of a handful of other religions while studying for the ministry, but that was so long ago that it's hard to remember the details of them.

If PG is okay with us talking about religion or politics, then so be it. I do recall some folks quoting a rule number against talking about those years ago so I think there has either been an omission or change in the rules.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
[quote]Since this is a music forum, wouldn't it be better if we left the two most contentious topics on the planet off the menu?

IMO...
Personally, I don't get involved in threads that become urinating contests or testosterone slinging fests anyway.

We are all adults here (no jokes please).
What ever subject that is posted in the 'off topic' should be left to evolve or devolve on it's own.
Don't like the thread or the path it's taking?...don't participate.
Thin skin, offended easily by any enthusiastically differing opinions?..don't participate.

If one starts to whine about being offended it merely tells me they are not comfortable in their own belief system.
We all need to have the skin of a snow tire especially if one is going to pontificate on potentially contentious subjects on a public forum.
One doesn't have to respect anyone's opinion or belief system....but one must respect their right to have that opinion/belief system.

Although I'm still new here l would be very disappointed if the Subject Matter Police was instituted because a grown adult is offended or the subject becomes heated.

I've enjoyed my brief interactions on these BIAB forums.

The subject matter along with my perception of the adult conduct in a thread will determine if I choose to participate or not.

I need another cup of mud...anyone else?....I'm buyin'.

That's my take on it....do carry on.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 06/26/13 08:11 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

3) if memory serves me, MOST of the knock down drag out political discussions in the past were also started by you.

That may sum up the crux of the problem perfectly. I have made that exact observation. I have described Picker as the "playground bully" several times. He seems emotionally troubled. He has put me on "Ignore" when he couldn't match my logic. Other times he simply ran for cover.

If we were to trace the root of any difficulties on these forums, Bob Picker would be a common thread or cause. I suppose the world needs such agitators to keep the stink at nostril level.

He exercises my self control and forgiveness. Thank you Bob.

He has also attempted "baiting" me into religious discussions so he could have me banned, I suppose. He caused me to quit the forums because of his insisting on off color jokes. I refused.

With Picker you must constantly be on defensive awaiting the other shoe to fall; his camouflaged agenda. I advise extreme caution in dealing with him.

My comments are neither libelous nor slander; I saved all PMs from him. He hadn't even remembered a recent exchange when confronted with his own words. I won't suggest what that indicates.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

That's not true Mac. If you'll notice, I also mentioned Islam, Hinduism, Pastafarianism, etc.

I must call Red Herring on that, yes, you mentioned it, but the reality is that the thread from which you started this thread about - and reposted the snarky and demeaning comments from, something that did not need be done IMO - is a thread about praying to the Christian God.

The facts are that there have been zero threads about the three other religions plus etc. that you brought up.

And, if there were, years of observation of this sort of thing shows me without doubt that there would be no snarking, no complaints, either.

Same old, same old.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:
And Christianity, by its own biblical definition, is not a religion.

Most religions that I'm familiar with set themselves apart from the others with some argument that they are something other than a religion. Buddhist argue that they are not a religion because Buddha was a person.

Quote:
I've never seen trolls come out of the woodwork posting snarky and personal attack drive-by crap when the conversation turned to ANY belief other than the belief in Christ.

I can't say that I have ever seen a forum post that advocated any religion but Xianity, which is probably the main reason it gets all of the attacks. I see the Muslims getting their panties in a wad about people making fun of their religion so someone must be spending some time on going after them somewhere.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Correlation is not Causation, Keith.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mac,

My only comment on the "prayer" thread was this one:

Quote:
Quadruple plus one. No religion PLEASE!

This thread was meant to get PG to clarify whether religion and politics are prohibited on the forum.

And if there's a problem with my memory, (as has been suggested), maybe Alzheimer's has kicked in.

I watched as my mother slowly deteriorated from that so maybe now it's my turn. If anyone wants to make fun of me for that, have at it if it'll make you feel better.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can't help but to observe that for the most part this has been a polite and rational discussion... which is a testimony to the maturity of those participating.

I also think that part of the reason why it is so polite is because there HAVE been other heated discussions in the past, and we have all learned from them.

They say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. As far as I know, nobody in the forum has been killed by any of these discussions. Therefore I conclude that we are made stronger by it.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Open note to Don from Mac:

For the record, this practicing Christianist found no fault, harm nor foul in Bobc's joke.

I think it is FUNNY.

And, by today's standards, not "off-color" (which color should it have been? -- Which color is it already, for that matter?)

Oh.

That mother is Green.

Obviously.

Now that's funny, I don't care who y'are...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hehe.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
That may sum up the crux of the problem perfectly. I have made that exact observation. I have described Picker as the "playground bully" several times. He seems emotionally troubled. He has put me on "Ignore" when he couldn't match my logic. Other times he simply ran for cover.

You're entitled to that opinion Don, but I want to make it clear that I wasn't trying to indict Bob when I said he started many of the same threads he now wants to silence.

My points are:
1) he's arguing from a logical premise that he himself violates

2) I think the arguments have been, for the most part, beneficial. I usually LIKE Bob's discussions, whether I agree with them or not.

3) the most offensive thing that can happen to forum interaction is censorship. Forbidding discussion is censorship. ALLOWING discussion gives everybody an opportunity to express their points of view. FORBIDDING discussion is a one-sided power play designed to take the voice away from anyone whose opinion differs from that of the person trying to enforce the censorship.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:
I had to study the basic tenets of a handful of other religions while studying for the ministry

I never realized that was something that you and I have in common Bob. I was raised in the Evangelical United Brethren Church (United Methodist) and spent three years as a religion and philosophy major at Otterbein College preparing for the ministry. Ended up graduating with a degree in biology at the University of Pittsburgh (I always overlooked the fact that you are a hoopie cool).

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Keith,

I spent 3-1/2 years as Asst. Pastor, Deacon and adult Sunday school teacher at the Assembly of God.

I actually did as much "preaching" as the pastor because he was in poor health. I found the study for the ministry to be fascinating.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mac
Open note to Don from Mac:

For the record, this practicing Christianist found no fault, harm nor foul in Bobc's joke.

I think it is FUNNY.

And, by today's standards, not "off-color" (which color should it have been? -- Which color is it already, for that matter?)

Oh.

That mother is Green.

Obviously.

Now that's funny, I don't care who y'are...

--Mac

Mac, I can swap dirty jokes (off color) at 30 paces with the best Irishman oot there but, knowing that my grandchildren are following this topic with the consent of their teachers, I thought it inappropriate and gave my reasons. I firmly believe that a joke need not be dirty to be uproariously funny. It would only serve to open the floodgates to jokes that would be personally offensive to you, my friend. I will die first!

All jokes are potentially offensive to some group so I've herded it intentionally toward the Irish in lieu of another nationality or race. I stand by that.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,916
Posts738,810
Members38,616
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic
38,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162