Originally Posted By: MarioD
Eddie, another inexpensive pickup is the Signal Flex SF20, http://www.acousticcabin.com/Signal-Flex-SF20-p/sf20.htm

It is a Piezo Transducer pickup that is attached to your instrument via a suction cup, thus you can place it anywhere on your dobro. It’s only $12 but it does a very nice job. I have one that I have used on acoustic guitars, mandolins and banjos. In fact I have both recorded and played through an amp with those instruments and the pickup added no noise to the signal, which of course surprised me, as it’s main purpose is a mic for tuning acoustic instruments.

What I really like about this pickup is that you can place it anywhere on your instrument. That way you can find the sweet spot for the sound you want. Also it does not attach permanently to your instrument and it leaves no residue behind when you take it off.

It does come with a very short chord so you will need to purchase an extension chord for it.

I may need to buy one of these for piano tuning - I have a clip-on piezo but often times, I can't find a good place to mount the clip on the piano. What I really need to do is just break down and get a full-on Peterson strobe unit.

But I can see where this thing could be very handy, (have you had to EQ the signal much?).