Mac,

When I used the term “narrow minded” to describe fundamentalists, I wasn’t saying it as an insult. I was being descriptive of their belief system.

In short, the only way is their way with biblical inerrancy and literal interpretation, … or its eternal damnation, fiery torment, weeping and gnashing of your teeth while the worms eat your flesh. After all, … god is love! wink

As you well know, many Christian groups embrace faith and science. All it takes is a willingness to accept a metaphorical interpretation of scripture. Even Pat Robertson came out last Nov. in support of evolution and scientific views of the creation of the universe.

Personally, I’m agnostic with strong atheistic leanings. If there is a god, then I believe that he/she/it won’t even vaguely resemble the god portrayed by ANY religion. I obviously could be very wrong about that, but that’s what I believe.

When my son was ready to start kindergarten I started asking around for recommendations on private schools because I wanted to protect him from all of the drugs, sex in a broom closet and gangs that are so prevalent in public schools. Two schools kept coming up, one Protestant and one Catholic. Since I was Protestant at the time, I focused my inquiries on that one. I asked people who were sending their kids to this school about the science program and I was assured it was based on science and not creationism.

I went in to meet with the preacher/dean and asked him specifically about the science program and he looked me in the eye and assured me it was based on science. I believed the lying sack of sh*t. Unfortunately, I didn’t discover that he was a lying sack of sh*t until my son was a freshman in high school.

I was out of town for work 4 days a week and was only home on the weekends. They didn’t give homework on the weekends so I never got to help my son with homework or I would have discovered they were using the Bible as a science book.

My son came to me during his freshman year and begged me to get him out of there. He told me in detail about all the BS they’d been feeding him and I was stunned and furious. I felt betrayed by the school and the preacher. I was angry with myself for allowing my son to be subjected to this ludicrous indoctrination. I asked him why he didn’t tell me sooner and he said he thought I knew and that I wanted him to be taught creationism.

I started to go to the school to see the preacher but I knew if did, the preacher would have ended up in the hospital and I would have ended up in jail.

First moral of the tale, … don’t believe anything a preacher says. (I have lots of reasons for this besides the dean at the school).

Second moral of the tale, … don’t send your child to a Christian school unless you want them to become atheists.

My son became one a few years before I did.