Originally Posted By: Leon Carpenter
Flatfoot, That us true, but it is for original music created by forum members. I do not compose. There are lots of songs from the past which are public domain. Loved by us older folks, smile and not write protected. The existing forum rules forbid users like myself from sharing their talents. The songs selected for the Artist Performances are possible examples.-----Leon

Leon, read the rules carefully.

"The songs must be originals, no copyrighted or "cover" songs. You must have all of the rights to the songs."

The first part says "original" .... the second part says " all the rights".

If you take a public domain song and record it with your style, the requirements of both lines are met, in my humble opinion, since no copyright infringement exists with public domain songs and no one holds the exclusive rights to that song anymore.

You must be careful however, because some older songs are still covered by copyright. Many "Christmas songs", especially those from church hymnals written in the 1800's or earlier are all PD now..... a quick glance at the date of creation will tell you what you need to know. Go to the Library of Congress web site to figure out the length of copyright afforded the song originally since the length of protection has changed numerous times though the decades.

Another option is to purchase a license for the particular cover tune as some here and in other forums have done. The Harry Fox Agency can fix you right up all nice and proper and totally legal.... for a small fee.

Original and public domain.... good to go....anything else, not so much.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/16/13 05:56 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.