I ALWAYS recommend an external USB based sound card or more properly called an Interface. An internal interface card is fine but it is limiting in some ways. With the externals, when you upgrade the computer you simply plug it into the new computer, and load the software and you're up and running. Also, an external can easily travel with you to any gig. Besides that, a laptop can't use any of the internals.

My Focusrite Saffire(love that thing) is now one of the oldest components in my studio. It worked on my lappy and now works on my 5 year old desk top custom built DAW machine..... flawlessly. It is not a USB interface, it is a firewire interface, however, today, I would opt for a USB interface. At the time FW was faster than the USB1 ports but with USB2 and now USB3 is coming out, go with USB since it has faster data rates now than firewire. In addition, firewire can be a bit picky with chip compatibility issues.

Look at the focusrite, M-Audio, Presonus, and Roland models. Be certain they use native ASIO drivers and not the codec or wrappers. Most of the better ones will automatically fit that category.

Select one based on functions and features (not looks or hype) which should include, 2 inputs (both hi & low Z) phantom power, outputs as needed. The more outputs you have the better off you will be in the long run. Be certain the interface has built in clean preamps. Many now have this but always check. Focusrite is known for their pristine preamps.

I would expect to pay around $200 to $300 for a nice interface with the features and functions I would be seeking. It really would not hurt one bit to take a trip and visit the big box MUSIC stores. (avoid best buy and similar places) Hit Sam Ash and Guitar Center types. They have pro audio departments and generally, the guys and gals working those departments can offer some really good advice. I would recommend letting them know up front, you're just "window shopping" to get ideas on price, features, etc so you can make a decision. You do have to be careful as they will at times try to steer you into buying something the manager is pushing as a sales item. Avoid the ALL-IN-ONE gizmos.... mixer, guitar emulator, soundcard/interface all in one. Get a good solid interface and you will be happy. If you want a mixer, buy a mixer, if you want a guitar emulator, buy a POD.....but please don't mix them.

The bottom line.... educate yourself first, before you spend the money. Get the interface that best suits your needs.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.