Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: MarioD
However I will respectfully but strongly disagree about new users not using or at least trying RB.

Mario, you and I are in complete agreement! I never said they should not try out RealBand...I just said they are shortchanging themselves if that is the only DAW they try initially just because it was included for "free"! My minimum recommendation would be to install RealBand and Reaper and try both of those.

I don't mean to offend the RealBand fans here but Reaper was designed from the ground up to be a modern DAW to compete with the likes of industry standards like Pro Tools. I seriously doubt there are any folks out in the music world who would choose RealBand just based on its DAW features!

So, if you choose it because it integrates nicely with BIAB that is a great reason! But if you are not planning to use that tight integration with BIAB you should probably consider more serious DAWs.

Yes we are in complete agreement, sorry for the confusion.

If I may add to your message I would say don’t limit yourself to just RB and Reaper. Why not try all the demos of all the DAWs and see which one fits your workflow best?

Arguing over a DAW is like arguing over a car! My Chevy is better than your Ford! DAWs are like cars in that some are Cadillacs and some are Vegas. What you drive/use is your choice only! Personally give me a muscle car/DAW any day!

I most certainly agree with you! For me it came down to what was I basically familiar with and what was the cost. Because I had already invested in BIAB I knew RealBand was an option but I also was a little familiar with Reaper and knew that one would cost me only $60 to use. So I didn't bother demoing more expensive options.

However, if money was no object I would probably have chosen Pro Tools simply because of the professional studio connection. Alas, it cost too much for me to justify.

Now my next step is to learn a lot more about Reaper and then learn how best to work RealBand in between BIAB and Reaper to get the most benefit of all my tools!