I agree with both Bob and Lloyd, and without wishing to change the direction of the thread, I find that television commercials also need a mention - specifically the "loudness".

We know there are advertising standards that need to be adhered to and these include volume levels. But advertising commercial producers seems to be able to cram every last decibel at that peak volume threshold, thus introducing the 'loudness war' into advertising. Does it get my attention? You bet - I go straight for the mute button or the channel button every time. And it's just one of the reasons I watch very little commercial television.

Good background music has its place - in the background. There are times when it shouldn't always be there, such as to add suspense to a particular scene, but generally speaking, yes, you're right Bob - it has become foreground music.

My 2 cents
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones