The thing for me is I play in rooms where 2 musicians have traditionally played. Whether it was a keyboard/guitar, 2 guitars, guitar and bass, and mostly with at least a drum machine.

So now with my backing tracks we still have 2 guitars, but one guitarist also plays synth, and the other also plays sax, flute, and synth.

So tell me who are we putting out of work with backing tracks?

Nobody.

The music two people can make just got fuller.

Thankfully we have a lot of work, but I have talented friends who have had hard times because of the freebie musicians.

And yes, DJ, Karaoke and other things have contributed too. There is no argument there. But musicians taking the bread out of other musician's mouths is something different to me.

You can argue your point until you are blue in the face, but so far, you haven't done a thing to change my mind. If a free musician is working in a place where all the other help is getting paid, he/she is replacing a musician who used to get paid and pirating his job.

The biggest thing putting musicians out of work is TV, but that's another thread entirely.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks