Hi Joanne ...

I partially agree ... more so than not.

I have played numerous performances for "free" ... meaning the event organizer/promoter/manger paid me nothing. I made a few dollars from tips ... a form of busking, I guess. But, here's my approach to such things:

Perhaps I could have made $50.00 - $100.00 doing a pay gig. But probably not or I wouldn't have had that time spot available for the "free" gig! The advertising I get from those performances can be valuable and is much cheaper than buying print/audio/visual ads. People find out when and where I'm playing live gigs and often come out to hear the "pay" performances. I've also sold a little music at these "free" performances. You just have to be smart about when and where you do it.

However, some folks will say they would never play/perform without some sort of guaranteed compensation as they see it as being "used", or some similar term. And that's cool. I just see some of those "free" gigs as advertising opportunities and getting more name recognition. I guess there's no wrong or right ... just depends on the approach and attitude of the performer. Good luck with your music!

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 05/22/14 09:13 PM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops