Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
I have come across this disucussion in multiple music forums frequent. This discussion here took a strange twist so I ignored it for a while, but I am glad to see it calming down.

Here is a different spin which I don't think I have seen in previous inputs. It comes from here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140701

"...I remember reading an interview Paco de Lucia complaining about the fact that in USA music is regarded as entertainment first and foremost. He regarded himself as an artist and his work and performances as art.

I guess this is the main issue: music is mostly regarded as a constant stream of entertainment. As long as music is not regarded as art any more, it´s not precious any more."

I think it is a good point. Some times it is hard to hear the "art" amongst all the noise. Despite the fact that there are apparently too many musicians walking the streets, we still seem to be a little short on artists.

Excellent point Dan. The kind of live music I enjoy is where the audience is expected to come in, sit down, shut up and listen.

In this scenario the musicians are treated with respect instead of being treated like glorified mp3 players doling out background music.

I hadn't thought about it in terms of art vs entertainment, but it does present an interesting angle.