I remember when every Holiday Inn on up had a band, and there were singles 'meet markets' all over the place with live music.

I traveled the country playing live music clubs, and there were always other bands just around the corner. I got to meed Rick Derringer, Peter Cetera, Terry Kath, Sonny & Cher (then Caesar and Cleo) and many others before they became famous, playing in the bar around the corner.

Most cities with more than 3 traffic lights had competing lounges with 4 to 7 piece bands and they were jam packed.

Those days are gone because people don't jam pack those bars anymore. Live music obviously isn't as important to most people as it used to be.

I hear people in the baby-boomer generation stating that there are no places to go and dance to live music anymore. I ask them how many times would they go, and the answer is usually fewer than once a month.

If live music isn't packing the clubs, live bands aren't going to be hired. The club owner wants to make a return on his/her investment.

The town I grew up in is about 10 times as populous as it was when I was gigging in lounges, and there are fewer than half as many bars with bands as there were then.

The golden age of live music in bars is gone. Will it ever come back? I don't know. Subscription TV, DWI laws, Sports Bars, DJ's, Karaoke, and a generation who grew up listening to DJs, doesn't make me seem hopeful.

I'm glad I grew up when I did.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks