Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Lawrence,

A terrific write.

"I put all of my money in this truck/ the seller said that she would bring me luck
but most days she just sleep there in my yard/ I don't think she could really get me far"

...nice.

Nice arrangement. I like how you brought the accordion in at the end in such a subtle way. Good build throughout.

"and oh come a rain/ a cold wind blowing my way"
- love your vocal on that...

Enjoyed.

floyd
Thank you floyd. This is one of those songs that I don't know where the lyrics came from. Except that as I wrote it I tried to give it a narrative progression, a movement forward from the preceding verse.

Musically after I pick out a few chords and a vibe but before I wrote the lyrics I knew that I wanted to put a long held note somewhere in the melody.

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Lawrence - Beautiful stuff. Am I hearing Katrina in that Harlequin reference? I love a lyric that makes me think. I hardly ever do that any more. grin

Love that thing you got goin on.

Regards,

Bob
Bob, thank you and that's a good question that I don't really have an answer for. I will say that those memories are forever ingrained in my poetic morass.

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Lawrence - This is just terrific. What an excellent write. Sometimes I wish I could also just vanish for a few hours. Great song. Great vocals. Great production. What else can I say.
Josie, thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Lawrence.

I just came across this at approaching midnight here in the UK.

I listened to this first of all on the headphones and then, for some reason I'm not sure about, I put it up on the main monitors and turned off all the lights. That's definitely the way to listen to this song. A very moving an eerie experience indeed.

I'm still not sure whether to take the lyrics at face value, or to treat them as one long metaphor, but either way it's an impressive piece of writing.

ROG.
Thank you Rog. I think it is of the metaphor variety. I was looking for more haunting than sad so lights out seems appropriate.

Originally Posted By: big741
Hello, Lawrence.

Thank you for this little gem.

Quite enjoyable in a poignant sort of way.

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Dan, you're welcome and thank you for taking time to listen and for the kind words.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
There are an awful lot of things to like about this. Aside from the outstanding vocal performance and the excellent choice and editing of the real tracks, the part I like best is the mix of conversational lyrics with strong poetic imagery. Just flat out beautiful. What a great listening experience. Bravo Lawrence, Tom
Tom, you are very kind. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"I turn the key and head on down the road/ and wave goodbye to Harlequin my crow
sometimes I think there ain't a thing in this world he don't know/ a philosopher that flies both high and low
I travel by the stars at night, I sleep during the day/ where ever my heart takes me is where I stop to stay
I study on just how my path got turned around this way/ I think I'm gonna vanish today
and oh come a rain/ a cold wind blowing my way"

Poetry...period.

Poetry and one of the strongest vocals I've ever heard here
here is a potent mix. A vocal that "milks it dry" but never
goes overboard, i.e., talent AND taste.

When wrapped up with an effective RT selection and mix
you've gotten a production to be extremely proud of!

And, for us, another fine song to add to the SC playlist!

J&B
Thank you. I swerved into the idea of introducing Harlequin the crow and the lines about him. I don't know where it came from but my suspicion is that it was inspired by Townes some how.