Hmm, I was under the impression that the MIDI USB interface on the XV was bidirectional. I have another MIDI interface, a MIDIMAN MIDISPORT 2x2 (1 in, 1 out just like the UM1) that I can connect if needed. I'll try some of the configurations you guys have mentioned. I don't know what a Ketron is or does, but I do have two soundbanks - both the Roland XV-2020 AND the Yamaha VL70-M. John's last post kinda confused me though. Both of my soundbanks have MIDI IN, OUT, and THRU, along with L(mono)/R audio LINE outputs, and headphone outputs. I typically connect my EWI's MIDI OUT to the soundbank MIDI IN, and take the audio output from the soundbank's LINE OUT to a direct box or amp.

Now I'm trying to hear and play (MIDI output) with a BIAB MIDI song and record it as a melody or solo track, while being able to have fast response for what I hear using the XV instead of relying on BIAB's laggy soft synths for sound generation.

My PC is pretty sparse, an older Dell laptop (Inspiron 4000) with 512 MB RAM maxed out, and a 40 GB drive. The only audio I have on it is the built-in ESS Maestro card, having only a MIC in and headphone out. It has a single USB 1.1 port, but I have a USB hub.

I plan to record audio offline using a LINE 6 digital recorder and transferring my file to the PC. Right now I'm just trying to record MIDI to the PC, so I'm not ready to spring for a Presonus Audiobox USB just yet. I have a firewire PCMCIA card and wanted the Firebox, but per the manufacturer the system requirements are well beyond what my laptop has. I know that buying a better PC would help, but I'm trying to avoid that for now. I really thought I had all of the pieces I needed just to record MIDI from my EWI into BIAB or PowerTracks, I just need to get the right connections and software config.