Folks who expect you to have memorized every word to every song ever written (which implies also knowing all the chords and all the melodies and all the harmonies) are delusional. That doesn't mean you don't strive to memorize songs, you're just not going to know them all. When you go to an author book reading event, for example, you don't expect them to "read" their book from memory (and it's even their own piece of work). Do you expect a preacher to quote all scripture from memory and say their sermon without a single "uh"? Do you only use computer apps written by programmers who have committed every function, procedure, and variable to memory? Must a portrait painter complete the work in one sitting and never refer to the subject being painted? We don't expect that level of perfection any where else, so why do we expect musicians to be able to just" know " the song we requested inside out and by God, they better play it the way I want to hear it?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com