Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I don't like when bands use tracks, and that could be considered the, just using all the tools they have on hand, but I consider it denying musicians a spot in a band in order to make $25 more bucks per guy. I would rather play with 6 pieces and make less money (per gig - just play more!) than use a backing track for keyboards, horns and BGV. If you want horns, hire horn players. They are sitting at home doing nothing. Give them a job. That is the ONLY thing I have against tracks.

My take on that is that a guy with backing tracks isn't competing for the same gigs as the full band. They're really two completely different entertainment options.

The solo performer with tracks will end up in the corner of a restaurant or rest home where the volume can't be much more than that of a stereo... same gigs that might hire a solo guitar player with a mic. Small and intimate settings.

Likewise, the local clubs that host bands would never consider hiring a geek with a pc that streams backing tracks. Culture clash. Salt water fish vs fresh water fish.. they look alike but they prosper in different environments.

Rather than stealing opportunities from live performers, I see it is opening a whole new set of opportunities for live music that simply wouldn't be a good fit for a full band.

Notes and 90db aren't solo performers, so they can compete on the same turf as a band to some extent... but I bet they have trouble getting certain gigs that are the domain of full bands. They'd have to weigh in on that, as I'm just speculating