Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

My take on that is that a guy with backing tracks isn't competing for the same gigs as the full band. They're really two completely different entertainment options.

These are 4 piece bands playing with tracks. Usually guitar, bass, drums and a front singer and the music is half prerecorded. They play 200 seat rooms, not 40 seat wineries. They ARE taking gigs from full bands because they consider themselves to be a full band. This whole "The audience is stupid and they'll never know" mentality really makes me angry. When One guy is on stage singing and you hear 3 voices, you'd have to be some special kind of stupid to not know there are backing tracks playing.

Solo guys, I get it. I am one of them. (I don't really play but if I did it would be with tracks because I am so weak I can't just play a solo guitar and sing. My songs don't work that way.)

This is really all about money. Bands play cheap, almost free, JUST to be playing, and as I have said so many times and caught heat for it, music does not define me. It does not make me a better person. It does not add or detract from my value as a human being. It's just one thing of the MANY things I know how to do. I just had a rather terse exchange with someone about those people on Facebook who have so little in their lives that those 3 copy band gigs per month define who they are and they post pictures of their drums as a profile pick JUST so people hear them say "Look!! I am in the club! I play drums!! See???"

It's just a part time job.... I don't post a picture of the car I use to deliver auto parts 10 hours a week....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.