Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That's a huge project right there. I kept thinking of Tom Jones as I was listening.

Fairly unique chord progressions there too. I liked that aspect of the song. The Minor to major change was interesting. Took a few listens for it to sink in and grow on me.

There's some others above, who referred to this as a train moving along. Yes, there's alot of power and momentum and energy in this once it gets moving. There's one place where it drops for a second and that's the one place where it really needs to be powerful.

You have a break in there at 3:42. The break is absolutely the perfect thing to have there and it's the perfect place for it. However.....On the word "doesn't" the music really needs to hit hard. It doesn't. Right before that... as it leads up to the stop.... the kick is running hard like Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run.... Come back in with that same energy and groove. That's a really tiny nit.... but IMHO I think, an important detail. I hear a snare smack on 4 with the band coming in on 1.... hard and wide open and running hard like they went out on 1. pull the tails down too (quickly) after 1 so the silence behind the vocal track is dramatic. If you're gonna use silence, use it right and make it count.

Great production, and very little else in the song to complain about. Like I said it's just a nit, but I'd do some touch up work on that silence break and make it really big.

just my opinion and 2 cents worth.

GREAT JOB!!!

Thanks for the comments, Herb. Appreciate the thought. I prefer a more organic stop at that point and a bit of a breather from the born-to-run train in order to re-state the premise of the lyric - as opposed to be just about the music hitting hard. Pacing. Perhaps you can do something like you are describing in your next production for comparison.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It has been cool to read the responses to this song. When floyd invited Janice in on the harmony we were knocked out by the production. Janice was both excited to be invited to participate and somewhat intimidated by the lead vocal -- both the range and the phrasing. But the little ole bluegrass girl did fine...in my hugely biased opinion!

As she was working up the part I had quite a few listens...and my thoughts then are all mirrored by the above comments and in particular Tom's remark that the star here is the arrangement and the production.

I'm gonna drag out the old war horse that I rarely call upon:

AWESOME!!

Bud

Thanks, Bud - for the comments and your help with the janettes from that end...

Janice - Thank You! ... always...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: critter
Well now, a little Chicago, and BS&T, holy crap!!!!! Now that is a tune, a great composition and layered out perfectly, another great tune from the master, FJ!!!!!!!!!!
Now those are the types of horns we need at PG Music, even if midi based, fantastic!!! cool

+1

Even when you stop out of your comfort zone you nail it!

Super song-super mix!

Appreciate that, Mario....