Originally Posted By: Tom Dentist
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Yes absolutely they are supposed to work and they likely do.

"Likely"?

Quote:
As a new user, I too tried to figure out how to make things work by the book using repeats and all the other musical road signs like DC al Coda.... etc... I found it to be very frustrating.

"Likely"?

This is what I found about "unfold":

Quote:
If you have a song with 3 choruses, and want to convert it to a single large chorus, this command "unfolds" the song into just that; one BIG chorus. This is useful for customizing a song (e.g., changing styles and/or patches at different bars, etc.)

This feature is accessible under the Edit menu.

I don't see what it has to do with repeats other than the whole-form repeat that BIAB inserts. I frequently have 2 repeats within a song and sometimes 3 or even 4. Not much point in unfolding them if I can't create them in the first place. What would I be unfolding?

In any case, my purpose is not to make style or patch changes. And if it were . . .

If you have 2 sections where the chords are identical, but there are patch or style changes, between them, it's not one section repeated, it's two different sections. Why would I want to disguise two sections as one with erroneous use of the repeat sign, implying that they are the same, when they aren't?

Likely... yep,,,, I don't use them so I would assume it "likely" works like it's supposed too. I've seen folks ask this same question in the past. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fanatic for following the music rules of the road regarding the signs.... if I can copy and paste to get it done faster and easier, I will do that. Unfolded, or in a linear form.... as PG calls it "one big chorus" I can see where I am in the song and whether I'm in the first or third verse. Doing that with signs is a bit more difficult. In addition, adding tags and other custom things to the song is a straightforward process of simply writing the chords that you want played rather than trying to figure out how to do tags with a triple repeat and then throw in a bridge, and back to the chorus for the tag all using the musical signs to tell BB where to go and how to get there. In my unfolded form, doing THAT is a breeze. Not so using signs.

Whether you use the musical signposts for the repeat ||: music :|| or if you simply use a copy and paste to duplicate the first verse several times, it all sounds exactly alike. So yeah, it's still a repeat of the music from the first verse no matter how you get it done.

I really do not mean to sound argumentative on this.... if you want to learn how to negotiate BB using signs, by all means, have at it and have fun. We need folks who know how to do that so that they can teach the new users the tricks of the trade. I'll just be over here unfolding and copying and pasting to get my repeats and I'll be suggesting that folks try this method too if they want to keep it simple.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.