Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
...Motown offered us a deal at 2 cents per record, out of the royalties came inflated recording costs, inflated promotion costs and inflated distribution costs.

Plus they wanted to own our name, be the publishing company for our music (the publisher makes more per record than the artist) and have half the writing credits by adding a name to the copyright who had nothing to do with the song.

Our manager figured we would have to sell a million records before we would break even and not owe Motown money. Motown wouldn't even go for 2.5 cents a record, because they knew that others would do it for 2 or less.

You've talked about this before and so have I because I have a similar experience in 1976.

I've often wondered though if we had accepted that deal. Sure, for a good 20 years we would have gotten totally screwed but still done a ton of recordings and probably big shows, including TV. Still getting screwed though. But....here it comes....

At some point, maybe 10 years ago we would have started doing all these retro shows like the old stars are doing now. Those shows probably pay a whole lot more than all your local duo gigs have paid you over the last 10 years. Total speculation I know but I do wonder about that sometimes. Yes I know, what I'm describing is the tired, old "Play for the exposure, it'll pay off later". Because now you would be booking yourself as Bob Norton formerly with XXXX and XXXX and was on all these gold records. You became moderately famous for creating some killer sax line on whatever record. Even if you were not the front star. Look at all the people now who show up as guest artists with other groups doing all kinds of retro stuff. Gotta be more money and more fun than playing a local yacht club...

I don't know man but maybe we still shoulda done it.

And back on topic, no the vinyl thing doesn't mean squat in the big picture.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
I
Expert
Expert
I
Vinyl to me is really just a fad. Sure, record sales may be increasing, but like people pointed out, they're only a small percent of the music consumption. In todays world, the average listen doesn't really care about how they listen to their music, they just want to listen. The average person is ok with listen to music on crappy laptop speakers, cheep earbuds plugged into their cellphone, or through bluetooth speakers, because to them, it's all about a good beat, and catchy lyrics. Plus, in the era of downloading and instant gratification, why would you want to go buy an album, if you can listen to it on youtube for free?

Now, on to the point of vinyl being just a fad. Vinyl to me is seen more as something to collect rather than the desired format of musical listening for hipsters. They really just want collect vinyl for the sake of owning tangible media. I don't believe that they really listen to the music, correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, there is a lot of hype that somehow vinyl sound way better then digital thanks to the audiophile community. Vinyl does not sound better than digital at all. When producing a vinyl record you have be extremely cautious about your mix. If you try to add to much bass to a song you could actual make the needle jump and ruin the entire album. You also have a to keep a lot of headroom. With digital, you have tons of headroom to make things as loud as you want, and you do end up with clicks and pops like you do with vinyl, unless you want to add the sounds to it.

Last, I do agree with a lot you how say that there is an experience own vinyl. Taking the time to go to the record store, coming home and deliberately putting forth the effort to listen to the entire album is something that digital can not replace. plus from a collectors point of view, you never know what to expect from a vinyl record.

Last edited by Islansoul; 06/13/16 06:08 PM.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Off-Topic
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Michael Jackson got $2.00 a record for Thriller from epic. X 65 million copies.

The top 1 percent of any profession makes 99 percent of the money. Athletes, Politicians, Oil Execs, Pirates, Hedge Fund Managers, Corporations, .......

If the top 1% of the recording artist want to make more money, right now, they will release more vinyl. That's the only way they can do it. Can't do it from streaming contracts, touring, TV, Radio.

Oh wait judging Vocal contests, another way.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
...Motown offered us a deal at 2 cents per record, out of the royalties came inflated recording costs, inflated promotion costs and inflated distribution costs. <...snip...>

You've talked about this before and so have I because I have a similar experience in 1976.

I've often wondered though if we had accepted that deal. Sure, for a good 20 years we would have gotten totally screwed but still done a ton of recordings and probably big shows, including TV. Still getting screwed though. But....here it comes....<...snip...>

I don't know man but maybe we still shoulda done it.

And back on topic, no the vinyl thing doesn't mean squat in the big picture.

Bob

I agree. I thought about that myself.

Except for the fact that Motown would have owned the name.

They would have hired different people to play our songs and pretend they were us, like what has been done with Earth, Wind & Fire and so many other groups.

At the time, there were a half dozen "Four Tops" touring the country at the same time. Prince and John Fogarty had to sue the record companies to use their own given name. Fortunately they had made enough money to afford that suit.

But then, I could have toured with "Formerly of Rare Earth". But I wouldn't have gotten the big arenas.

On the other hand, we would have made money on the concert tour when our records were on the chart, had a great time being the headliner, and when our recording debt to Motown was paid off with ticket sales, they probably would have quit tour promoting us, and owning the name, we couldn't do it ourselves.

Back on topic.

Vinyl won't help. We listened to low-fi-mono 45RPM records, we listened to very low-fi-cassettes, and we listen to low-fi-mp3s. Why? The average listener doesn't care about the difference (if he/she can even hear it) but prefers convenience.

Vinyl is a lot of work. 45min and flip the disk. Clean the record before playing and still get pops and clicks.

I'm afraid at this point nothing can save the recording industry (I could be wrong though). And furthermore, it makes no difference to me (except I'm not doing add-a-sax-to-your-track studio work anymore - but that was only a trickle).

The -1% of the musicians who made big bucks from records will suffer, the record company 'suits' will suffer, and the songwriters will suffer. The only ones I have any sympathy for are the songwriters.

Me? I'll continue playing live music like I always have, and I'll do so as long as there is an audience that wants to hear it.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
[quote=Islansoul<...>Now, there is a lot of hype that somehow vinyl sound way better then digital thanks to the audiophile community. Vinyl does not sound better than digital at all<...> [/quote]
That's a matter of taste. New vinyl sounds truer to the source than CDs. I read an article in a trade from one of the inventors of the CD. At the bandwidth used (which was the best they could do at the time) there are severe quantization errors. Plus the DA converters add high harmonics that were not in the original signal, due to the nature of the pulses, which are square waves.

On the other hand, vinyl wears, high frequencies first, and those pops and clicks are a different kind of distortion.

So it's a matter of which kind of distortion do you prefer.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dga
Michael Jackson got $2.00 a record for Thriller from epic. X 65 million copies.

If you are lucky enough to be an 'automatic', you can make your deal. The one-hit wonders end up working in gas stations of department stores.

Originally Posted By: dga
Oh wait judging Vocal contests, another way.

When I found out American Idol was rigged I wasn't surprised. The entire year was a promotion for the 'winner' who was already decided. His/her competition was rigged, the judges were told how to judge and even what to say (in paraphrase) and the entire show was supposed to make a star that would save the recording industry by getting the people involved.

Nothing wrong with that except that it exploited the losers who never had a chance.

No, I don't feel sorry for the industry. They did it to themselves.

Notes

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob, the "high harmonics/square wave" comment is not actually true. Been through the exercise and the theory of how the analog output wave is constructed from the digital audio stream of pulses and I used to think the same thing, but after studying the actual process it actually does not work the way one would think. The impulse response of each individual sample is not a square wave but rather a ringing filter response. When you add all of those ringing filter responses together, you end up with a smooth analog wave form with the intended frequency response. You do not end up with a bunch of high harmonics that are unintended. This has to do with the output anti-aliasing filter technology that has been present for decades.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That was from one of the inventors of the CD in a trade. I suppose he could have been mis-quoted.

Then there are still the "severe quantization errors" caused by the inadequate bit rate of the technology of the time.

In any case, it's about picking your distortion, as no recording medium faithfully reproduced the original.

My ears tell me that vinyl is warmer and digital is edgier. My ears tell me that my all-time favorite sax player (who I have heard live) Stan Getz sounds more like Stan Getz on LPs and his tone drifts more towards Zoot Sims on CD.

After saying all that, I listen on CD because the tone distortion is less annoying than the pops and clicks.

But back to the topic. While most people have historically have not cared that much about recording quality, I don't think Vinyl will save the business. After all, not only did we listen to 45rpm records, but 8-track tapes that would sometimes fade out in the middle of the song 'click-click' change tracks and then fade in for the rest of the song (that was definitely a deal-killer for me). Then we had the high frequency starved cassette tape (with his) and the lossy mp3 format.

Like many things, dinosaurs, steam locomotives, drive-in movie theaters, MS-DOS, vacuum tube radios, floppy disks, etc., the recording industry is past it's prime and possibly on the way to extinction.

If I knew how to save it, I'd go into the consulting business. wink

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Then we had the high frequency starved cassette tape

Cassettes could have been a lot better had they gone to a speed of 3 3/4 ips, rather than 1 7/8 ips.

Several vendors had 90-minute, 100-minute, and 110-minute blank cassettes, so the commercial industry could have easily created 45-minute, 50-minute, and 55-minute recordings at 3 3/4 ips.

Alas, water under the bridge.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: jford
Quote:
Then we had the high frequency starved cassette tape

Cassettes could have been a lot better had they gone to a speed of 3 3/4 ips, rather than 1 7/8 ips.

Several vendors had 90-minute, 100-minute, and 110-minute blank cassettes, so the commercial industry could have easily created 45-minute, 50-minute, and 55-minute recordings at 3 3/4 ips.

Alas, water under the bridge.

Tascam Portastudios proved that. Designed to run at a faster speed and record in one direction only. Good quality from VHS Tapes used in quality stereo video recorders for archiving too.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There was a time...long long ago....in a galaxy far, far away.....

When you would cue up your 1/4” tape on your Tascam 2-track tape deck, into a good pre into a McIntosh tube amp and a great pair of speakers....and it was aural heaven! grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
There was a time...long long ago....in a galaxy far, far away.....

When you would cue up your 1/4” tape on your Tascam 2-track tape deck, into a good pre into a McIntosh tube amp and a great pair of speakers....and it was aural heaven! grin

Yeah. But going for a jog with it was SUCH an effort...

wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

wink

You could jog? My knees are not good so I took the low-impact route and would swim with mine! I was confused for years by what wet vs. dry mix meant.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

wink

You could jog? .

Keep in mind... Bob said.."..a time...long long ago....in a galaxy far, far away....."

AND... this is a thread about "Can vinyl save the record industry?"

...so it's all just fantasy.

You wouldn't BELIEVE what I can do in my dreams!!!!!

smile smile wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The thing is that the general public prefers convenience to high fidelity.

And sorry to say (as a musician), the words are even more important the music.

Musicians care about tone, and perhaps a few audiophiles do too, but 99% of the public does not. To them there is lousy sound and 'good enough' sound. Good enough is the sweet spot.

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,912
Posts738,777
Members38,615
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic
38,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162