Originally Posted By: rharv
One thing we don't know is how the magic behind the smoking mirror happens.
Therefore we have no idea what kind of undertaking it would be.
What if every single 'marker' that BiaB uses behind the scenes is related to the bitrate used? (I wouldn't doubt it).
What if every single Realtrack would have to be manually re-marked for these positions to know what section to use when generating? That would be a lot of rework.

The point is, we don't know how much work it would be to add 24-bit. Or how much benefit we would gain at this point.
My hunch; the original studio recordings are probably higher quality than 16/44 but if it means going back to square one for every single realtrack .. well that's more costly than the GUI rebuild many have been hankerin' for.

I suspect that when a SEQ file in RB is set to 24/48, the program still uses the wma or 16/44 bitrate to generate any new parts, then upconverts afterwards before writing to disk.
That order may be telling us something.

Hi rhav,

YES .., It is work .., exactly ..., we all have to work - and it's no big deal wink

I am not sure what the point is from your post, other than acknowledging there is work involved ?
There was work involved in making my breakfast this morning . I could have gone the easy route and just made grabbed a piece of fruit
.., or I could have made Bacon & Eggs on toast with Sausages, Mushrooms, Grilled Tomato , with a side of mixed Fruit Salad , Coffee and a Juice grin

My point is .., The more effort = The better the outcome smile

RE: Your comment about Up converting 16 BIT Files ...,
(ie : if PG up-converted it's 16 bit files to 24 bit)

Most get it, but I have sensed some misconceptions about loss of fidelity .., please allow me to reiterate.

..., if ANY current BIAB 16 bit file actually got dragged dragged out of BIAB and them IMPORTED into anyones DAW ...,

- then that BIAB 16 bit BIAB file will get AUTOMATICALLY Up-Coverted to 24 bit anyway by the DAW !

.., So therefore it does not matter one iota if PG does this up-converting 'first' to 24bit (ie; from their PG originating 16 bit file) .
All that means is that when we drag that up-converted (by PG) BIAB file into our DAWS , then no more converting will need take place as its already been converted by PG....,

RE: The SPECULATION .., that some of PG's earlier BIAB files may only may archived in 16 bit ...,
(this speculation suggest there may also be 24 bit files also, so these would NOT need to be "up-converted)

Now that up-converting would ONLY be required for perhaps their absolute earlier Real tracks where (perhaps) NO previous 24bit versions could be found (ie; in PG's Archives)

My point is if you plan to use any PG BIAB file in your DAW , then "as it is in BIAB 2016" .., your DAW is currently up-converting that file anyway (presuming you are going to be using a DAW)

The reason I am saying you DAW will Automatically up-convert the 16bit BIAB file to 24 bit is ...,

- this is because these days 44.1KHz x 24bit has been the 'minimum' chosen setting being currently being undertaken by DAW users (and mostly has been for about the last 15-20 years) .

This is because when a DAW User decides to start a project in 16 bit (not 24 bit) .., then recording those tracks in 16bit results in them further getting 'smashed and mashed' within the DAW...., ie: edited , tempo mapped & time stretched , altered by FX , compressed numerous times , mixed , and then finally spat out of the DAW sounding something like the quality of a low rate 128kbps MP3
(ie: far-far below the quality of what we expect to hear from a purchased CD - which were recorded at much higher setting)

.., To suggest .., that PG should 'maybe' forget about putting in the hard work to re-think & re-evaluate it's product by putting in that extra effort to move forward (even if it means "starting from now" to make everything added from this point forward to being 24 bit) ,
..., then sorry - but I would find the too much work excuse as being really-really lame .

So lame in fact, I think not moving forward would surely result in the eventual demise of BIAB , and it wouldn't be too difficult for 'another company' to come up with a far better similar superior product that could outshine BIAB , thus resulting in no more customers for PG ..., especially as how fast the technology is progressing, plus with computers being as powerful as they are now - making even the cheapest "newer computer" more than DAW Capable.

To me (IMO) .., coming up with a few more 16 bit real tracks to add to the list, and adding few colour changes etc to the BIAB GUI >>> does NOT constitute to 'moving forward' crazy

..., to me that just equates to giving your old car a wash and polish.

Meaning .., After a while no-one will care how shiny your old car will be because by then the paintwork has already dulled , and everyone in then admiring the sleeker,faster, shinier more technologically advanced model (please pardon the analogy)

IMO whistle

- if PG wants to : attract a whole new range / breed of interested customers , (ie: from real Audiophiles, to home studio DAW users through to pro producers)
- if PG wants to : 'not be seen as being stuck in the stone age' ,
- if PG wants to : keep their existing customers interested enough to want to keep re-newing to later BIAB versions
ie >> as they learn new production skills , and want to add those skills to using BIAB with a DAW to get the best results possible,

...., then BIAB needs to be (at a minimum IMO) a 64 bit operating APP with samples @ 24 bit (with dry samples option)

If the world used the "too hard excuse" then we would still be driving around in Model-T Fords (oh no .., not the car analogy again) laugh
cheers smile