Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We stream Apple Music for $9.99 a month. <...>

Bud

Thanks.

Streaming doesn't sound like a good answer for me for a couple of reasons (1) when I drive to the Everglades National Park there are a lot of places with no cell coverage and (2) I don't think I could find a streaming station with enough variety. For example Tchaikovsky's "Marche Slave" might be followed with a Muddy Water "Cross Eyed Cat" followed by "Raiz" by Simentera (Cape Verde Islands) followed by Mark Murphy doing Joni Mitchell lyrics to Charles Mingus' "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" followed by Something from Led Zep III followed by some Bob Marley then Sinatra, then Elvis, then Hillies, then Dvorak, then Luis Bonfa then Stan Getz, then Queen, then Gilberto Santa Rosa Orquesta, CSN, Pitney, Miles, Hendrix, Andrews Sisters, Beatles, Blue Cheer, Aretha Franklin, Caterina Valente, Celia Cruz, ZZ Top, Richie Cole, Charlie Parker, Buddy Guy, Beach Boys, Clovers, Dave Frishberg, Buddy Greco, Various Motown greats, Tuvan throat singing and so on.

I have really varied and sometimes weird tastes

Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
^^. What my son did when his classic died as well. I can vouch for Sandisk Sansa players and some of them will take pretty big micro SD cards. I think you could get pretty close to the size of your classic with one of those and a big micro SD card for much less

Thanks. This looks good. I think I can put a 128G card in one, I've written to SanDisk.

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Last time I tried to buy an MP3 player (and couldn't find one) the salesman advised me to buy a cheap phone and just use it for music.

An alternative. I don't know if any of my old phones have 160G of memory though. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: jford
Bob -

If you are willing, you can find sites that teach you how to buy and replace the hard disk, as well as the battery. I've got a 160GB iPod also and love it, but it glitches occasionally as well. When mine finally dies, assuming I can still buy the appropriate Toshiba hard drive for it (you have to get the right one for your model and edition - they're not all the same), then I'll probably try to get a little more life from mine.<...snip...>

I've got about 25,000 songs on my 160GB iPod Classic.

Thanks.

There is a corrupted file, the battery and disk seem OK, I can access everything in Windows Explorer. I got it to load in iTunes, took all the music off, replaced it all with my backup, and the problem persists. "The library on the iPod is Corrupt" - whatever that means.

If the SanDisk can hold a 128G card, I'll go with that. Ditching iTunes or the alternate CopyTrans and being able to use drag and drop from Windows File Explorer sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks again,
Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks