Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I do understand one thing Eddie talks about and that is the lack of professionalism when doing local casual gigs. Everybody is older now and most of the bands I get called for don't rehearse.

VERY true! I won't tell any specifics because you never know who might stumble across this thread some day... but I've been burned by this. I was involved in a gig last summer for which I prepared like it was my job... for 2 months beforehand I woke up, ate breakfast, then rehearsed all day long in preparation for a gig. At the last minute, some other guys got added to the mix, and they showed up totally unprepared, even though we had agreed in advance what they needed to be prepared for. My name was on the program, so I didn't appreciate the fact that their lack of preparation reflected on me as the entertainment provider.

Quote:
One thing I will disagree with Eddie about is the simplicity of some 3 chord tunes. If all you do is listen with one ear and don't pay attention to what's really happening there you think a 10 year old can do it. Not so at all. Listen carefully to EXACTLY what those players are doing, how it's mixed and how it all fits together. Those so called simple, basic, "anyone can to it" tunes were recorded by the best players in the world. That's why so many cover bands doing that stuff suck so bad. Yes, they can get through those tunes but they're all lacking that polish that amateurs have no clue about.

Bob

again, I totally agree. Listen to just about any local band playing STATESBORO BLUES, then listen to the Allman Brothers playing it. The difference between the pros and everybody else is their ability to make simplicity sound awesome.