I spent the last two days woodshedding with the TC Helicon VL3X and was able to make some great progress in getting a recording setup going. As has been mentioned in this thread this piece of equipment is a real beast with more capability than anyone would ever need. The 200+ page reference manual covers all the gritty details. It's an amazing machine. I don't know what the VL2 is capable of but the VL3X seems to cover all the bases. BTW, this is not my first rodeo with TC Helicon harmonizers as I still own a TCH VoicePrism rackmount harmonizer that I got back in 2000. Still works great but no match for the VL3X.

So here's the scoop on recording:

Recording to a DAW with the VL3X is a snap. Just connect your computer to the VL3X with a USB cable, select the VL3X as your audio input/output device in your DAW and you're ready to rock.

You get two channels of output to the VL3X and two channels back to the DAW. There are three recording MODES with this setup that should handle anything you want to do:

1. The STEREO mode sends your DAW output into the VL3X where the NATURAL PLAY feature reads the key perfectly and adds the correct harmonies to your vocal. The STEREO mode ADDS your DAW output to your VOCAL as well so if that isn't what you wanted there are two other MODES.

2. The DAW TRACKING mode is the same as the STEREO mode except the DAW audio is NOT added to your vocal and you can record a vocal only track with or without the VL3X effects.

3. And lastly, the DAW INSERT mode allows you to send a dry track (vocal or instrument) from your DAW to the VL3X for processing and subsequent return to your DAW for recording on a new track.

Other than the USB cable the only other input I needed into the VL3X was the mic. Pretty simple.

As for live performance, the VL3X can load and play backing tracks (created by BIAB for example)from it's USB port via a thumbdrive (or a properly formatted external hard disk). It can sequence and play the backing tracks and can be programmed to add whatever effects/processing you want to each individual backing track along with your vocal/guitar performance. I have NOT played with this feature yet but it seems pretty straightforward. Just dump all your BIAB files to MP3s on a thumbdrive and create a set list in the VL3X. BTW, the VL3X can also record your performances to the thumbdrive as well.

To learn more about these subjects I suggest downloading the VL3Z reference manual from the TC Helicon website and read the section on USB AUDIO for starters.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/media/4006/tc-helicon_voicelive_3_reference_manual_english.pdf

Later,
Rob