Originally Posted By: J. Larry
Thanks, Rob, for posting all of those short demos. That’s really impressive how it reads the chord changes. I’m a little dense and want to make sure how you set things up. When you said, “I loaded a BIAB song into the program and set the audio drivers to the VL3X”. Did that mean that you played a BIAB song directly from the computer via the audio outputs (left/right stereo) into the appropriate input(s) on the VL3X? Is that the same thing as “set the audio drivers”? In any event, the demo is impressive.

Yes, I played a BIAB song directly from the computer via the audio outputs (left/right stereo) into the appropriate input(s) on the VL3X. But before I did that I went into BIAB Preferences, and set the audio drivers to VL3X input and output. I did that because the physical hookup I used was a USB cable from the VL3X to my computer. If I'd been playing live I would have sent the outputs of the VL3X to my PA instead. But in this case I wanted to record the VL3X output instead so I could upload it here.

I just hit play and sang to the BIAB song. The VL3X read the key from the BIAB audio and created the proper harmonies to go with my vocal.

There are several ways to route BIAB to the VL3X. Instead of the USB I could have connected a cable from my computer headphone output into the AUX input of the VL3X. That would eliminate having to change the input and output drivers in the BIAB preferences. The VL3X would still have read the key and created the harmonies. There seem to be a variety of possible connections that accomplish the same task. Just depends what you want to do with the combined music, vocals, and harmony output The VL3X has a ton of I/O possibilities and they all work nicely. I hope all this isn't confusing; it's just that the VL3X is very versatile.

One thing you can't do with BIAB and the VL3X is to record your vocals back to BIAB via the Audio Record button. The reason is that the VL3X creates about a 70 millisecond latency. So the vocal track and the BIAB tracks would not line up properly. Recording with BIAB and the VL3X is a different procedure all together. But I wrote this post to describe how you could use BIAB and the VL3X in a live performance situation.

BB