Cringe alert (accompanied by brutal honesty)

this is my first band.. it was 1968 and all the band members met in the same 9th grade class. In '68 we were going for the british invasion look, in case you're wondering. ;-(

One of the popular girls in our class made out a list of songs the other girls liked, and that was our first set list. It worked. All the chicks showed up at our gigs to hear their favorite songs, and all the guys showed up to meet the girls. We drew a crowd so we always got return gigs.

The bass player's dad had connections, so he became our manager. He kept us booked all through high school 2-3 gigs per week. Society was looking for ways to keep all those baby boomer kids entertained, so it was easy to find gigs if you had a band.

We were terrible, mostly because I was the singer and my voice hadn't matured yet. Imagine the Stone's SATISFACTION sung in a falsetto, and you have a pretty good idea what we must have sounded like.

I also had a heavy-duty central Pennsylvania accent.. so when we played FIRE by Hendrix, I pronounced it as "Fi-yerrrr"

My only effects pedal was a fuzz tone. I used it on every song. My dad worked in a factory and my mom stayed home, and they sent 5 kids to private schools, so there was no money for gear. My guitar and amp were bought from the classified section in the local newspaper. No-name brands, the kind that department stores might have sold at the time. I had to earn my own money from performing to upgrade my gear. Which I eventually did.

(That's me between the organ and the drums)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Sphere_britishInvasion.jpg (236.89 KB, 116 downloads)
Last edited by Pat Marr; 03/25/18 04:28 AM.