Originally Posted By: floyd jane

You know... Pretty much every record Dave Cobb produces is done with the vocals recorded "in the room" - with the band - to get that room sound... Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, Anderson East, Sturgill Simpson... just to name a few... When Luke Laird and Shane McAnally (two VERY "current" kinds of guys) produced Kacey Musgraves "Pageant Material" it was done "in the room" at RCA Studio A - with everyone in a circle... to "get the room"...

Thoughts?

Oh! No doubt about it; there are some AMAZING sounding rooms that are amazing for recording. Our home studios though, probably not. lol

A great sounding room is that, a great sounding room...RCA Studio A would be a great example.

Our "recording room" may or may not contain a second refrigerator, a 24x36 Dale Ernhardt framed and signed poster, a running desktop and laptop, open window near a busy street; but we close the door so we can't hear our spouse running the blender. At least the tile floor is cool on our feet. smile All exaggeration of course.

Even if we feel we have a decent room for recording, I feel it's typically less than desirable for the type of sound you have shown in the video. Typically...no absolutes. Pick a song you really like and do a quick search on youtube for people who have covered the song, and you will hear a a fine selection of audio issues happening before a note is sung. You can instantly hear many issues. I think if we can start with eliminating some of those, it goes a long way in improving the final product.

So we are on the same page. I totally agree that a great room can sound soooo good on a recording. I was more mentioning a simple, inexpensive solution for someone who may be looking for a possible way to get a bit closer to the sound above. I would be curious if anyone tries it and if anything improves. Maybe not. But it is something to try and learn from.

Thoughts, my good man?

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.