Originally Posted By: MarioD
I post songs because this old fart still likes to play and I know that I will never be a star. I don't care. I listen to others' songs and comment on them, usually good comments, but if someone want some constructive comments I will give them if necessary. If anyone wants honest critiques then they should join a profession pay site where pros will give them honest opinions. Most all here should have very thick skin if they do that. YMMV

That's briefly how I see it.
The Showcase is an encouragement forum for all that submit their efforts, regardless of any outwardly perceived lyrical writing or musicianship skills, and to emphasize the stunning abilities of BIAB itself.

I listen to a lot of the Showcase submissions but very rarely comment.
Why?....because my comment in most cases would not at all reflect the consensus of other comments within the thread and someone would think I'm just being unnecessarily snarky and I would never want to be mistakenly perceived as such.
Why would I take that risk on an open forum.

In this context of personal creativity, subjective as it is, I'm just not the personality type to just hand out the (previously stated) "attaboys" and "this is your best yet" comments by default when I might actually think much improvement is in order especially if the writer wants to truly improve.

But...who am I.....someone may read one of my honest (solicited) assessments, listen to one of my song writing efforts and think:
"your songs suck, your mix sucks, you can't sing so what do you know and stop injecting yourself into my creative 'safe space'". smile

As adults....if anyone posts a song on a public forum I recommend one have the skin of a snow tire and accept or ignore any/all comments.
We're all adults here and if one gets offended easily that's an internal problem that reflects a lack of confidence with their on going efforts and the inability to take criticism.

I had an experience from a contributor here via email (many months ago) where I was asked my opinion on one of his songs.
I thought...ok....it's off the forum, sounds sincere, I'll listen several times and provide a well thought out commentary.
It was not received very well and I perceived his subsequent songs reflected the same issues that I tried to help him improve upon.
No matter....I tried to help and was glad to try and do so.

I still like to write/record because I have been doing it a long time and it's kind of like creative therapy....I don't do it with the goal of perpetually promoting myself and hoping for constant praise of favorable/patronizing opinions.
Should anyone comment on my material I'm genuinely appreciative and will thank them for taking the time to listen whether the comment is favorable or not.
If I can keep any distance from the 'you totally suck meter'....that works for me.

If you're truly passionate about your song writing efforts and improving upon it no comment should discourage you from continuing on.

I'll stop prattling on....my candor here may even offend someone. smile

Back to it.....(respectfully submitted, of course)

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 05/26/18 09:58 AM.