As I was going through my stuff, I found a Columbia Records compilation CD from 2006 featuring 23 of the "best of the best" releases that year from Columbia in all genres. Artists included Beyonce, Project Pat, Three 6 Mafia, Ray Cash, Bow Wow, Carly Simon, Bob Dylan, Amerie and John Mayer, among many others across ALL genres.

In terms of mastering references I was "thank you God"--for I had just found a one stop shop "desert island" type mastering set.

Then I listened to them. OMG. EVERY track was awesome--so well mixed, so much dynamic range on every one, every genre represented very sophisticated harmonies, great melodies, great songwriting, phenomenal masters, jaw dropping production. Again, in EVERY genre.

The most recent list we were asked to listen to above just does NOT sound the same.

If I were an alien from Mars (and maybe I am) and I compared those 2006 masters to the stuff on the current list above I would say "Sounds like they're getting lazy." Comparatively speaking.

They are not even on the same playing field of production excellence.

I know I may be comparing applies to kiwi fruit and the list above may be "rigged" but I do think things are changing in terms of the thoughtfulness being put into mixes and production. At least it sounds that way to me. Maybe I am wrong. But 2006 was really not THAT long ago, and every single one of those tunes I am speaking of from Columbia hits that year were fabulous.