Matt,
I am aware of changes. I have tried BIAB years ago and was just mentally constipated using GUI. A friend of mine is BIAB user and he suggested to give it another try. I did. Do I regret it? Absolutely not! It is much better than 10 years back, but has to go that last, hardest mile to take things to a new level. This is probably not the right place to spill guts, but since it is topic related, I will try to not bore people too much.

Here goes short essay smile

My biggest paranoia is that if there are no changes made to modernize this great software (especially 64bit & GUI) it will fade away. You need new customers to bring in new ideas (and of course money). I would estimate, that it will take me about a year more (sometimes with little support of people like you, Jim, VideoTrack, Pipeline and others) to get comfortable with it. I just do not want it to hit a dead end anytime soon.

Two examples of this with a negative and a positive outcomes:

1) Software vArranger by mr.Dan of France. Extraordinary software. Super user friendly interface. Very fast and stable. User base: people 60+ years. Good community, no insults, no bullying. Sounds good? Almost...Software costs a fortune. It was written by a single person who made a lot of money just making exactly what people wanted and as soon as he realized that stream of new customers is drying up, he stopped development. People are ready to pay him for updates, but seems to me (and others) he does not care much about us. Very selfish move. I still will use the software for years to come, but this philosophy on this just bothers me. So in a sense it is a dead end.

2) Cakewalk... I have been using it for years (since late 1990s) . It was a bit boring, but I did not need much from DAW so it was ok. As soon as they hired Noel, things flourished. I got to enjoy recording again. Cakewalk was the first full scale DAW that implemented "touch support" Since I work mostly with audio (vocal tracking) That feature was/is a huge hit for me. I can navigate through the timeline, zoom in tracks with great ease. When Gibson announced sad news, I got depressed as I just got married to this software and it, like unfaithful bride was trying to run away. I knew how to get around in it and had dozens of projects completed and half baked.... I feel that we, (people who use Cakewalk) got very lucky that a good man (Meng) bought it and saved it from being parted out and sold to some greedy corporation as intellectual property. I feel good now about the future of Cakewalk.

To summarize, I do not mind waiting for positive changes from PG / BIAB. I just do not want to dedicate my time learning a pretty complex software if it has only few short years to live.

P.S. People at Cakewalk felt before hand that something fishy was going on with Gibson, but I was very skeptical of that until last moment when "the end" was officially announced and vultures from Cubase and others started offering crossgrades right in Cakewalk forum.

The End.