Quote:
Rewrite it already. It's time. BUT for everybody who want that because it would probably include making it 64 bit, I'll bet all of our existing songs would NOT be compatible and that's where the hang up lies. Think about that one...All the gazillions of Biab songs on the internet that we've used for years would be dead.

In my mind, I would think that all the original songs could be accommodated, even with a higher resolution (8th note chords, for example), as it's all just simple math. You may have to save your song in a new format after loading it, but I would think that a rewrite should accommodate loading the older format. You may not be able to go back to an older version with the new format, but you should be able to at least load and resave your old songs into the new format.

Likewise, for long style file names (to get away from 8.3). The existing files know the current 8.3 style used, so at least for PGMusic styles (and Norton could probably provide it for his styles), there could be an easy lookup table from old 8.3 name to new long name (which could still be an 8.3 name).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com