BIAB is its own world. Many things are "non standard".

I have heard the term "push" only once in a recording studio. I did not understand it then anymore than I understood it the first time in BIAB. I assumed at the time that they were talking about the timing. Having played to a click track most of my life when recording any "push or pull" would be left to the studio engineer to deal with.

Jazz is definitely not a form of music that I know much about. I have learned to play "behind the beat" but I have great difficulty keeping it constant.

Perhaps this "push" business in BIAB is related to the limits imposed on entering chords, a way to move things by something less than a quarter note. Perhaps it is a way to emulate the practice of playing behind the beat or playing ahead of the beat.

As Matt pointed out, Syncopation is something that moves notes off the beat and stressies notes not normally stressed. Actually Syncopation is complex enough that it does not lend itself to a minor explanation. Google it.

Here is something to look at describing "playing behind the beat" and "playing ahead of the beat" with youtube examples of music by well known professionals. https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/10/26/playing-ahead-or-behind-the-beat/

Best of luck learning BIAB.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo