Quote:

The problem of looking at the issue of unemployment purely in terms of personal financial inducements and penalties fails to see the holistic issue of people caught in a trap of unmarketable skills, low self esteem and depression to the point that they generally don't come accross well in interview. Just how do you deal with that?
Quote:

Alan,
thanks for the quick response.

Your question appears to be requesting perfect answers; but rationals don't believe in perfect answers. They believe in imperfect solutions that provide the best cost/benefit ratio

Having been unemployed many times, and having experienced exactly the things you mention, my experience suggests the following:

The worst thing you can do when you're unemployed is nothing. Stalled activity leads to feelings of hopelessness, largely because hopelessness is the natural result of no effort.

Providing incentive to get people into a job, any job, is better than the current alternatives. Once people are productive, their attitude changes and they naturally become more hopeful.

True story:
several years ago I moved to a different state looking for work. It was a traumatic time, and I experienced a great problem with depression. I spent much of my time bemoaning the fact that I couldn't earn enough to pay the bills, and the negative thinking took a huge toll on my mental health.

Finally, I just went out and got a second job. I remember thinking to myself that it was less stressful to work two jobs than it was to worry continuously. That revelation set the stage for my thinking in other areas of my life. By assuming responsibility for my own finances and taking action in ways that were in my power, I was emotionally benefitted. DRAMATICALLY! I was back in control of my life!

These weren't good jobs, by the way. But, they provided me with skills, experience and confidence which enabled me to present myself advantageously to a similar employer that paid better wages, and eventually I got hired. Later my positive attitude got me promoted.

That's only one man's way of overcoming the specific doldrum you mentioned. I'm sure there are more. I defintely do not think that government programs would have lifted me out of the murk. In one of your own posts, you described the ineffectiveness of self-help classes typical of a bureaucratic solution. I agree .

Last edited by Pat Marr; 03/17/10 10:46 AM.