I got an email about a post from JustanoldMuso but when I click on the link to view the post, it says 'There was a problem looking up this post in our database' Anyway, I'll add it here:

justanoldmuso: Re: Rendering song takes minutes instead of seconds
DEL.
YMMV TRY THIS TEST SOMETIME AND PLEASE DONT BLAME ME IF IT DOESNT WORK WITH YOUR PC !
1. dont use gigundous multi terabyte drives. cos win as far as i understand has to maintain lots of pointers. use smaller drives. read on.
2. get yourself a cheap startech.com ssd usb dock which takes 2 removeable ssd drives. eg try 60 buck 256 gb's ssd's. hook up the startech dock via usb to your pc.
3. install realband on one of the ssd's. the second ssd use to record your traks//songs.
4. on the ssd your recording to in rb before starting a song create a new folder with the song name. this is the folder where all your traks recorded will be saved. eg lets say the song is called "DELL ROCKS OUT" then the folder will be called the same or an abbrvn.
THUS USE A DIFFERENT FOLDER WITH A UNIQUE SONG NAME FOR EACH SONG YOU DO IN RB.
5. regularly do copies (for back up purposes) of the "DELL ROCKS OUT" song folder with its seq to the ssd with realband on ; as well as any other drives you can hook up over other usb ports. also do copies of the temp for back up purposes.
this way your covered in case of a major ssd drive or other crash/loss.
ive never had a ssd crash over many years of use , but knowing my luck lol suggesting this idea to you; maybe you might. for example you could save (like i do) as further back up and off site storage (eg security box at a bank) to fast 16 gb usb pen drives<<<really cheap and fast these days. i use multiples for back up just in case.
6. run tests now mixing down your song in realband to stereo. stopwatching the time the mixdown takes.
(dont use resource hungry plug ins. pg ones are fine.
others always run tests useing task mgr to monitor OR
reaper will tell you resource useage of a plug in.)
7. NOTE you could do YOUR OWN REGULAR SAVE AS SEQ to various drives WITHOUT WORRYING BOUT THE REALBAND BACK UP.
just do folder copies. on ssd should be fast.

as i said YMMV. but small ssd's in my startech dock are very very fast.
when i copy from one ssd in the dock to another its like the copy line goes zoom.

hope this helps del.
question. this 2 tb drive of yours is it ssd ?
lol please dont hit me if above dont work.

best
oldmuso.

Del