CHAIN for A ROUGH, UNMUSICAL VOICE

Good old 12v TUBE action... I have two tube preamp units powered that way and they both offer "tube drive" in as many words. That usually means the vocal signal doesn't actually pass through the tube or sometimes a little signal is siphoned to the tube circuit just before output though. Pleasant noise from the tube, ( a little hard to achieve with starved plate technology but not impossible), is blended into the signal on the way out.
It doesn't matter how it's achieved though as how it sounds is the important thing.

I use one of three condenser mics with a pencil across the front as well as a "pop" screen between me & it, straight into, and phantom powered by, my interface. PThe pencil reduces plosives & pop addresses essing a bit.

No effects on the way in but a bundle of things are done in the box because I have an awful voice even when in tune.
The most significant, consistent and important to my ears is manual de-essing. I pull up the track, turn on pre FX volume automation and reduce the aggressive sounds one at a time. this is reasonably easy as in wav mode they appear very similar, in spectral mode there are just as easy to pick out & even easier to "SEE" the amount of de-essing applied. Doing it this way means that I'm not "dulling" the vocal track with an always on and relatively broad EQ cut. Most de-essers are based on an EQ triggering compressor - setting the Q on the EQ is very important and very difficult - realistically different instances and settings for ess, T, CH & P etc.It also means I don't have to undo everything by adding "air" to the vocal at the end of the chain.

I then EQ my voice as there are a couple of gaps/dips/holes in my vocal freq range - avoiding the essing of course.
After those things are sorted I'll try a compressor to level the vocal dynamics but if subtle use of one doesn't work then I'll automate the levels manually & then drop a lighter comp on the track afterward.

If I want an aggressive vocal I'll place Antress/Modern's Deathcore compressor in the chain, crank its input, reduce the output & set the comp at its heaviest. This colours the vocal, almost brick walls the vocal and can produce some problems with transients but it suits aggressive music.To use this comp for this effect the de-essing has to be REALLY aggressive.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe