Originally Posted By: rayc
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ray,
I think I prefered your former songs more. Here you are hiding your vocals again behind the instruments.
That's a pity, because the lyrics deserve a brighter and louder voice and -for me- even harmonics or doubles.
The band is also not really expressive. No instrument claimed attention.
If I may give this song a color, it would be close to grey.
Sorry for this and I fear I make you angry, but because I've heard many good sounding songs from you, I know you can do better, much better.
But... I only heard March 24 and not the previous one.
And yes, I liked the lyrics, brought like a machinegun!
When do we drink a rum together?
Hans

Hello Hans,
for my money the vocals are far too forward and the inadequacies exposed but there ya go...difference don't have to make distances.
Grey - not actually a colour but a tone - is good: aged hair, laden clouds, silent movies, old newsprint, fading photos...at least it's not gun metal.
Is grey the metaphor of the expectations of age pummelled into a torrent of black water with a whining codger on top? I don't know - perhaps, maybe?
Bass, drums, one guitar left, one right, an accent gtr & organs nearer the middle and no battle for dominance..but a cohort marching to the last resort?
The whole thing is a quick n easy unlike a good O.P. rum meant to be sipper n savoured.
Sadly I've been a teetotaller for a quarter of a century now.

Well Ray, I'm very glad you didn't cancel me (yet). And I liked your reply a lot, except the last line...

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130